1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House Contract Options (I have grown to love LTS)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Mar 6, 2019.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Not sure, but he made 7 million over 5 years in the NBA. If House is really as good as we all hope, the money will come, but you gotta play in the NBA on something of a rookie scale contract first before the masses believe in you. That's how it works for all the superstars out there.. why would House be different?

KJ McDaniels bet on himself like this and made about 7 before fizzling out of the league. Troy Williams seems to be surviving out there making NBA money. Players that seem to make a lot of money and struggle to start out have a skill that stands out. Like PJ Tucker... dude made a nice bed on top of his excellent defense. What does House do that excels? If it's nothing, why not just play the role of contributing pawn? Lots of dudes make names for themselves by just being the contributing pawn that will do what's asked of them.

If he's a glue guy that can make any offense tick, make that bed and sleep in it every night. But you have to be in the league a while before anyone will believe you. A series of 1 year deals proves this to be true.

Who knows what he's thinking... but you gotta play to prove that your thinking is right and that takes being a pawn for a bit.

roslolian, D-rock, Smacktle and 5 others like this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

"Never understimate the frugality of Tillman's pockets"
    -LTS

pippendagimp likes this.
  3. don grahamleone

That's a great list, but those guys are all veterans that already played out their contracts. House has yet to sign one. He had the opportunity to sign one and didn't. Ultimately I'm confused as to why he would say he's like the list above. He's played less than 50 games and they're all at like their 500th.

roslolian, apollo33 and YOLO like this.
  4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Do you think he would be capable of making a single 3 pointer in the midst of 27 misses in a row? If so that would move the needle.

5. don grahamleone

Ha.. if he is anything like the Houston fan that I was when I was a kid, I'd go out and practice the shots the team missed during the playoffs. So he might of perfected that 3 stroke after the 27 misses?

Maybe no.

pippendagimp likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This dude get's it. This team got better without him. He could now be toxic and I hope Morey finds out before they do bring him back for the playoffs

7. don grahamleone

Good point. If we convert House and he becomes a distraction, what are our options? Cut him?

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. BreakYoSelfFool

Not if he has finished the season as a part of the team. If we convert his contract, even at the last day of the season, he is a NBA player making the league minimum (prorated) and would need an offer sheet of the league minimum to restrict him. If we don't convert his contract he is still a 2 way player on a 2 way contract and can be restricted with another 2 way contract. He also won't be eligible to play in the playoffs.

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. don grahamleone

You seem to be guaranteeing we will convert him. I can see why we would, but I don't feel like that's a guarantee yet.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As a starter he averaged 10.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.6 apg in 29.3 mpg with 48.1% three point shooting!!! And he played decent defense and can fill in at PF.

He's not make or break... but in a world where there is a cap... House type players are required.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

shhhh. stop it. we're trying to get cf's $25 ;)

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah its extremely puzzling how there's actually people that think an undrafted player who has yet to even play enough games to qualify for 1 season is skipping steps and just jumping over 1st round pick money. And this for his 1st actual nba contract. that's what happens when you're a player only fan and disregard aspects that truly matter

bacliff and don grahamleone like this.
  13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Based on what? He played around 25 games. Before that he was a journeyman who nobody else wanted. And he's spent most of this season in the G-League. Even if he gets converted in 2 1/2 weeks, he may never get off the bench if the rest of the roster is healthy. Shumpert and Green would get minutes over House. Hell, even Gary Clark may be ahead of him in the rotation.

BTW, I'm not saying House isn't a good player capable of contributing to the team. But he made his bed and now he's laying in it. He screwed himself out of a starting spot on a title contender, cost himself at minimum hundreds of thousands of dollars, and will likely wind up on another cheap minimum deal this summer since he'll have put up such a small sample in the NBA that no team will risk millions of dollars on him.

bacliff likes this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

Biyombo had been getting regular rotation minutes for several years he was also a lottery pick.

Biyombo had never been cut let alone 3 times in one year.

House has done nothing comparable to the guys on your list who were starters or were getting heavy rotation minutes for full seasons.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  15. biff17

biff17 Member

you would have thought Harden, Green, Gordon and Ariza would have been able of making a single 3 pointer.

what's your point is House now some Korver type shooter?

topfive likes this.
  16. don grahamleone

He's also a pretty darn good rim protector that can move up and down the court. Those guys have value that isn't comparable at all to House' skill set.

biff17 likes this.
  17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Ok ima remember u we he does.

18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If Rockets dont sign House at the end of the season for the playoffs and we lose in the playoffs.

I guarantee there will be 10+ posts on CF blaming Tilman for saving money by not signing House.

don grahamleone and DrNuegebauer like this.
  19. BreakYoSelfFool

Although fans may get hurt feelings when a player or team can't agree to a contract, hopefully no professional athlete or executive does. House wants to be a restricted free agent next year, vs guaranteed minimum salary for the next 2 years. The Rockets don't want to coach him up and give him exposure and experience without any long term commitment. I honestly don't think either side is wrong, both just have different goals. House wants to maximize his earnings, and Rockets want to get player production at a bargain.

I always like to see guys bet on themselves. I think it will probably pay off a little for House in the long run. The risk for House is that he might not make the playoff roster. But even without playing again this season, I would bet that he could get a NBA minimum salary next season. My guess is he plays next year for the minimum and becomes a free agent a year sooner. I really think that even if he gets no offers with a $50,000 qualifying offer, the Rockets would probably convert him for the season. We don't have draft picks and many of our other free agents will be too expensive.

Ultimately whether or not passing on the guaranteed minimum deal is a good idea for House will depend on House. If he works hard and improves every day he will be worth and probably earn way more than the minimum. I think he has the potential to get much better, but will need to do the work. I think in the end maybe Morey will come up with some good incentives to get a long term deal done.

20. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Ding ding the Rational guy.......what I been saying all along word for word.....simply it's a business..fans want guys to take less...but u should always look out for your I repeat ur best interests..he betting on himself n objectively it's the right move period. That amount will always be there. Hey maybe u can get more go for it