1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Antoni needs to be called out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BasketMAD, Dec 31, 2018.

1. bongman

bongman Member

i have provided a simple question that you did not even come close to answering. Is he that stupid or stubborn or there are factors?

Correct me again if I am wrong, so the only way to shut you up is for us to win? It's like saying, You are not a good runner. Unless you can run a mile below 4 minutes, that statement is true.

rgw20014life and HP3 like this.
  2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Your posts are not a replacement for a championship. Your posts are ineffectual?

rgw20014life likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't forget the disconnect between the "MDA is smarter than CF noobs" from the "Rest" or "No Rest" crowd. We MDA is smarter than CF noobs are wise and insightful.

#83 Os Trigonum, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    DreamShook likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

Historically? Do tell.

5. HP3

HP3 Member

Also sidenote to this thread, holy crap Austin plays alot of minutes lol. I think that's a good sign at least for when CP comes back as he will be healthy and play less minutes as Dantoni seems to trust Austin.

Also we still have the GOAT on the bench if either one of those guys get injured.

6. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Duplicate

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

just won 10 million dollars while his 10/10 wife gave birth to a beautiful genius - OP

[​IMG]

8. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure there should even be a division. Harden last night and in the Celtics game a few nights ago was in a double digit game in the last minute, handling the ball, getting fouled, etc. Same earlier in December against the Lakers and during 20 pt lead with 3 minutes to go against Chicago. You could easily shave time by just pulling him at the ends of blowout games - the bench doesn't even have to be good for that.

Deckard, BasketMAD and DreamShook like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I also think MDA can shave time off Harden's minutes by not panicking. The Memphis game, MDA pulled Harden early in the 1st when he usually plays the whole qtr. The bench (everyone not Harden), pushed the lead until Harden came back from his regular rest. Bench was rolling, MDA could rest Harden a little more there bring him in at the 6 minute mark instead of the 8 minute mark.

MDA tried to do the same thing in the 3rd, he pulled Harden early, but the bench lost the big lead the lead was still 16. MDA inserts Harden with 40 seconds left in the qtr? For what purpose? Just let him rest. Coach the guys on the court and rest Harden.. NBA teams go on runs. MDA proceeds to play Harden the rest of the game.

This notion the Rockets don't have any players outside Harden is a tired one. House, Green, Nene, Rivers, Gary has enough competence to spell Harden until he catches his breath. The reason the bench was so bad before is because EGo is a terrible dribbler and playmaker. Austin Rivers is a God send.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ever thought that's something Harden wants to do? He wants to get back2back MVPs and he wants to extend the streak of games. Harden even said the MVP's coming back to him even if he gets a lot of hate. Are you saying MDA should fall out with his star player and break his streak just so Harden can get 5 more mins of rest? lol

Rox have 2 days of rest after the game, 5 mins less of PT won't do ****.

rgw20014life likes this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

MDA and the Rockets organization should save Harden from himself.

kjayp, BasketMAD and BeBreezy like this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Maybe Morey makes a move or maybe the right move isnt gonna be there to be made - who knows, but we gotta stop acting like this roster is a temporary thing we need to make it through before replacements arrive... we got guys that will return from injury - but this is our team and we play the hand we are dealt...

Personally, i dont think our roster is bad....
    CP3/Harden/EGo/PJ/CC is a solid starting 5....
    Rivers, Nene, House and GG off the bench gives us a reasonable 9 man core...
    Put some developmental minutes into 2-3 guys (Clark/Hartenstein/BK) in case of injury...
    and I think if we hit the lpayoffs rested and healthy we got a puncher's chance of beating anybody - including GSW!

or run guys ragged and see what you get...

Have Nene go down and expect Harden to cover LMA/Pau bc Trez is glued to the bench...
    Have Harden run outta gas and become a turnover machine...
    Have a total Spurs game 6 meltdown due to fatigue....
    Effectively lose a guy like LMM in a meaningless second to last game of the season...
    Lose CP3 and lose the next game by 30 bc yer not ready for it...

I mention Clark since he should be getting some burn to bring PJ's minutes to a reasonable level... Rivers can cover more mins at PG for Harden - and the Green/House effect could expand... There's always ways to better manage minutes...

It's not a luxury - its a necessity! We are an old team with a few guys who have injury histories... as i've said earlier... we can play a long rotation out of design - or we can wait and do it by necessity... as we are doing with each new injury - while still continuing to run our starters more and more...

What are we doing if Nene - or heaven forbid CC - goes down? Trying to acclimate Hartenstein at that point? Going small ball out of lack of another option? Expecting Nene to pull starter minutes? Hoping somebody is sitting at home on their couch that can come in and contribute?

Hope for the best - expect the worst...

BeBreezy likes this.
  13. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Brilliant. *claps*

kjayp likes this.
  14. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

He's that stubborn. It's his ingrained philosophy. That answer your question?

15. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Aside from Thibs, he's the only other coach who loves to overextend starter minutes (and reduce bench minutes), but you already knew that.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'll answer your question - he's stubborn as all hell!

We signed GG and he covered injury minutes (played well) and when asked if he'll be in the rotation going forward, MDA said "No - the rotations are what they are..." - thankfully that didnt hold up... lol

Just like the year we lost to the Spurs... he was chiding his detractors who had the audacity to question his short rotation in the playoffs - even after Nene went down... saying that those who questioned him "didn't know what they were talking about..." - then the game 6 meltdown happened... then it's "I'll have to look at potentially resting harden more in the future" - so he has more gas for the post season...

the dude is way stubborn... and has 'trust issues'... lol

'Factors' can be excuses - or issues you overcome...

BeBreezy and BasketMAD like this.
  17. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Stop, bro. You're telling me Harden always plays 38-40 minutes? So, when he only plays 34 minutes, it's because he wants to sit or because D'Antoni was smarter about managing the minutes that game?

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm telling you about the situation now. Harden obviously has a goal he is gunning to defend his MVP. To do that he needs mins.

MDA like to rely on his starters a lot. They both want the same thing. Harden has a lot of power and influence if he wants rest he will tell the coach.

19. BigBum

BigBum Member

Marc Stein new year predict Melo is done, retired. Tilman pays 5 million for him.
    Kawhi will join clippers in July. All other free agents will stay.
    Kevin Love to nuggets this season.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree that this is what MDA does .

Do you think his threshold for that level of player is too high ?

Of course getting fully healthy will help , but at some point you have to ask if there is a bit of reverse correlation going on . What if MDA's choice to ask more from his "rotation" players is a contributing factor to the health of the team .

Of course resting players and playing a longer rotation is easier when you are wining games . But you don't hire a coach to make easy decisions, you hire him to tackle tough questions .

I agree with MDA's rotation last night . With EG and CP3 out there is no way you are gonna win the game unless harden plays big minutes .

He finally gave Clark a few minutes last night and he played fine . Woild have been nice to have Clark spelling PJ before his legs went totally dead ....

Morey found Gary Clark and Danuel house and Austin rivers . For as much as he struck out on knight and Chriss and MCW ... he has equally remedied the situation . Now MDA has played house and rivers out of necessity. But he hasn't played Clark at all until just recently .

Look @heypartner i know we probably disagree on this issue ; but I think the trend of MDA wanting to play a short rotation is pretty established at think point . That is definitely his MO .

I agree that everything is situational , but I don't think our depth has been unplayably bad .... especially when you consider we have James making the game that much easier for everyone .

kjayp likes this.