1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danny Bautista signs with the Devil Rays

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1967033

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Free agent outfielder Danny Bautista agreed to a $1.9 million, one-year contract with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

A .272 career hitter, Bautista spent the past 4½ seasons with the Arizona Diamondbacks. He hit .286 with 27 doubles, 11 homers and 65 RBIss in 141 games in 2004.

In 11 seasons with Detroit, Atlanta, Florida and Arizona, the 32-year-old has 62 homers and 319 RBIss in 895 games.

Bautista batted .583 in the Diamondbacks' World Series victory over the Yankees in 2001. He also appeared in the postseason with the Braves in 1997 and 1998.

He can earn additional bonuses under Thursday's deal.

2. BSW

BSW Member

Well, guess it is Burnitz, Cameron, or Cruz Jr.

3. leroy

leroy Member

Out of those 3, I'd prefer Cameron. He's great defensively and does hit for power. The strikouts and LOW average I could do without.

4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

The problem is he won't be ready to play until at least May. I'm still not sure the Mets are going to trade him, he's said he'll move to right.

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

I'd prefer Cruz Jr. He wants to be here...and he's not any worse than the other 2 for the most part. Most importantly, if he happens to turn out to be better than we think, he fits in with Drayton's "Can you give me a hometown discount because Houston is so wonderful" way of doing things.

6. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Member

If you are going to trade then Cruz Jr is the one you need. He has speed and defense. He can play all three OF positions, has decent offensive skills and is a hometown boy. Home -cookin may bring the best out of him. Cameron will be out too long to couple that with Berkman not being ready until possibly May 1st, thats too long to wait.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd prefer Burnitz just because I don't know what we'd have to give up to get Cruz, Jr. If we have to give up someone like Redding alone, I'd do it. However, I don't want to give up Lane, Lamb, or anyone else who could contribute positively next season.

If the price isn't high for Cruz, Jr., I wouldn't mind getting both him and Burnitz. With Berkman being out a month and not knowing if Tavarez will break camp with the team (my gut says no), it'd be nice to have both.

8. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

Not sure about that he still has speed, although he did steal 32 bases a while back he's only has 23 in the last three seasons. Plus he hasn't hit over .250 in the same span. For those reasons, plus we'd likely have to give up Lane to get him, I'd rather Burnitz, just because we don't have to give up anything to get him.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Did anyone hear the caller on 610 around 2:20 or so who thought we should trade Lane and Ensberg for Cruz?

I think it might've been bigtexxx or Trader_Jorge. :D

Just kidding guys!

10. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Member

I understand your reservations but Cruz would be head and shoulders better defensively than Biggio or Burnitz. Lane may about equal but he is unproven. You know what you will get from Cruz.

I just have a feeling that if Cruz was to come home and play, he would flourish and have some really good years.

11. BSW

BSW Member

Lane and Ensberg....uh no!

Maybe one of them, but not both.

I really don't want Lamb playing third all year. I like his bat, but his defense is down right ugly.