1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danny Ainge to Kevin McHale: We have a spot for you...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Nov 18, 2015.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No. It is not ALL on the team. Yes the players share some of the blame, I have not seen anyone excusing the players but saying it is ALL on the team is excusing the coaching.

Motivating is on the coach too. People don't like to hear that but it certainly is. Keeping your guys focused and motivated is part of the coaches job. This is what separates many coaches. Great coaches are also great at dealing with players attitudes and know how to push buttons. Phil Jackson and Riley were masters at this. GSW players always go on about the things Kerr did to keep them focused.

The coach let the failure of this team snowball to the point where he lost them. That's on him.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Maybe shouldn't have said "all", but I really think this team is filled with bad characters, this should've never happened after the success they had with him these past years. I doubt a lot of coaches could've done anything about it and I think it will happen again, some players on the team just don't seem to care about winning, Les also said it.

Firing McHale was a consequence of guys like Harden caring about their ego more than winning, abandoning play-calls, defensive schemes and having a pathetic attitude towards the game, they show absolutely no pride.

Would've liked Les to allow McHale to should bench Harden and other guys if they played like ****, the losing streak was barely McHale's fault given our talent.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Not going to happen. Will figure out quickly that no coach is going to take this group further than McHale did last season. This group has already crested, not because of talent but because of personality. If McHale had a failing above all other faults it wasn't X's and O's, it was his inability to look in the camera and say that half these guys are losers.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So were they filled with bad characters last year? Were they bad characters last year when they managed to avoid losing 3 games in a row for the entire year? When they sunk in the standings and fought back to get the 2 seed? When they fought through the injuries to make it to the WCF? When they fought back from 3-1 against the Clippers?

I think what many are forgetting that this team has under achieved during the Howard/Harden era. They lost to a Portland team no one expected them to. In LARGE part in a failure of coaching as the coach failed to make any adjustments letting LMA put up Jordan numbers. Then had it not been for Josh Smith not turning into Magic Johnson/Dirk for a short period of time they would have been embarrassed by the Clippers.

I don't think Les told McHale how to do his job. McHale benched Harden in that playoff series.

The losing streak was mostly his fault. He let a sense of hopelessness consume the team. The players are people too, people seem to forget that. Just like a group of soldiers it is very possible for them to feel like no matter what they do, they will lose. This is what happened to them, no doubt about it.

We are saying it's not his fault but have you ever seen any other good coach team look THAT bad? A Pop team? A Jackson team? A Riley team? Even a Adelman team? JVG? Thibs? Rivers? They NEVER look that bad man, never. No matter how you twist it around McHale allowed them reach that low point and it snowballed from there.

No, McHale's failings were X-Os and that's why it snowballed.

I always say that my biggest thing with him were the scoring droughts. Every game the Rockets would go on some long scoring drought. Do you know what other coaches would do when faced with 3 plus mins of not scoring? Maybe even two?

Call a time out and run a play that gives the team a good shot. Get something going in the basket. Why is that? Because confidence is a huge thing in basketball. We saw it last night didn't we? Brewer hits one three and suddenly he hits another, then suddenly he's hitting the game tying shot to send it into OT.

There is always the cliche that "Now he gets to the FT line and he gets to see the ball go into the rim."

How many players black a meaningless after the play shot? Garnett started that trend and why did he do it? Because in his own words he didn't want a guy that was cold to see the ball go into the hoop.

McHale allowed this team to reach this low point. He should have coached with more urgency once they lost to the Nets. THAT should have been the turning point there.

5. dragician

dragician Member

great he's back..

[​IMG]

6. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Celtics' Danny Ainge has already offered Kevin McHale a coaching job

<a href="https://t.co/ofjqddxIu8">https://t.co/ofjqddxIu8</a> <a href="https://t.co/PeD76pSueo">pic.twitter.com/PeD76pSueo</a></p>&mdash; CBS Sports NBA (@CBSSportsNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/667498010658668544">November 20, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. dmoneybangbang

I think the biggest mystery will be how the team was ran from the bench. Morey knew McHale wasn't a strategist so I wonder how much Finch and JB really managed in game.

I don't think Morey believes that coaching isn't relatively important, but head coaching. Even the greats and current great have a top notch assistant coaches and staff.

This isn't an excuse, but more of a possible explanation for some of it as obviously McHale did have a large role in game. Anyways, it's over now and hopefully JB can right the ship. I still think Harden deserves most of the credit and most of the blame for the team's success and failures.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Glad he is a goner

He can go destroy another franchise now and teach them bad habits while holding no one accountable

9. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

Feel pretty certain that when you let go of the head coach and retain his staff, the intent is to send a signal, not firing for cause unless there was some serious unrest within the assistant coaching staff (and I don't believe that for a minute). There's also no way Ainge is publicly offering him a job just because they are buds, that's not how folks who want to keep their own jobs act for friends that aren't good at what they do. That would lead to two unemployed "buds" and no one is that insane to bank their future that way, especially an Ainge that had to scrap his way into the league originally.

10. RESINator

RESINator Member

McHale is a nice guy. Legendary player. Unfortunately his coaching abilities are not up to par. He failed to hold any of the egos on our team accountable. His timidness and reliance towards Harden became his downfall.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The team does come and go with it's superstar that much is true, but McHale I always feel even way back was allowing Harden to sink into bad habits.

12. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

hahaha