1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daniel Santiago?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by duluth111222, Sep 3, 2008.

1. akiracy

akiracy Member

let landry walk, sign dorsey and mutombo.

perhaps pick up DJ Mbenga as Mutombo's apprentice/successor

i'd rather have dorsey than landry at this point. landry's jumpshot is overrated, how many jumpers did he attempt last season anyways? i'm guessing less than 50. dorsey will provide better D. he is inexperienced but landry's knee is a risk in itself.

2. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Which is why Landry's agent is a grade A pile of douche.

Where are the offer sheets he said his client could get from other interested teams? So far we've seen nothing on Landry's end. They don't wanna sit down and discuss terms, they don't wanna do the scope. It's almost like a kid hankering for candy.

By all measures, Landry is a nice, proven player to have, and I do think he's genuinely a nice guy. But Buddy Baker has made a whole mess of this affair.

At some point we really have to move on and tell Landry "Hey, we like you, but your man is holding us out, and we can't afford to waste any more time with an impasse. Good luck out there." Then sign Dorsey and Deke.

It might just be me, but I have a shrewd suspicion that once that happens, Baker will probably hook Landry up with another team on the cheap. This reeks of something personal the agent has with the front-office now, probably for screwing Landry over last off-season.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

at some point the rockets wont be able to wait for landry to sign first. camp starts on the 29th and i'd bet that dorsey and deke are signed by then.

signing those two would have an impact on how much money is left in the MLE to offer landry. if it gets to that point the rockets would probably have less money to offer than in the original offer which baker isn't accepting.

IOW, landry would walk / be let go.

that's not the end of the world though. i extect shane and artest to get a lot of PT together, and i expect tmac to be on the court during a lot of that time, meaning that artest will spend enough time at the 4 to be considered the backup there. there is also chuck hayes and joey dorsey to take whatever minutes are left.

the rockets are covered at the 4, signing landry would just be gravy.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

One way or another, Dorsey and Deke will be signed. The rockets probably just want to offer Dorsey a third year, which requires signing Landry first because it requires some of the MLE. They also want to give Deke as much as possible without going into the luxury tax, which also requires waiting for Landry first to see where the payroll stands.

But if it comes down to it, we'll just settle for a two year deal for Dorsey and vet min for Deke. The season can start without Landry, we'll still have his rights.

5. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I've passed the disliking landry phase and quickly pushing into the irrational hatred. (not there yet)

7. drich

drich Member

It seems enough is finally enough for the Houston Rockets. They've spent the better part of the summer trying to negotiate with second round picks, and it sounds like they're finally ready to move on. Yes, Carl Landry had a very good rookie season - especially the second half. Yes, it would be nice to have Joey Dorsey in camp. But both players have bigger demands than what the Rockets feel are justified, and this week the Rockets are making alternate plans.

Houston's brass has invited five big men to try out for the team, one of which is former LA Clipper Daniel Santiago. Santiago has just fulfilled a three-year contract with the Spanish ACB's CB Málaga, and is now hoping to resume his career in the NBA. If things don't work out for him to return to the NBA, he also says he'd be happy to return to Europe.

"I'm really at a point in my life where I'm letting God handle all of that," Santiago recently told HOOPSWORLD. "I've done the NBA thing, I've done the Europe thing - I just want to enjoy playing basketball and spending time with my family. I've been fortunate enough to play with some teams that are powerhouse teams, been in the playoffs with just about every team I've played for in my whole career, and that's including the NBA. I feel like anywhere I go I'm going to be blessed and be a blessing to that team. If I wind up in the NBA, great, I'll do the best I can. If I go to Europe, great, I'll do the best I can there. I just want to have a successful career and be a help for the team that picks me up."

While playing for Spain, Santiago established himself as one of the best big men in Europe. He's not an overwhelmingly gifted physical specimen, but he does more than make up for any physical shortcomings with his wide array of skills. He can score from anywhere, even has legitimate NBA three-point range. He's a double-double waiting to happen, is a smart, savvy player. He was working out at IMG a couple of weeks ago where he completely dominated Boston Celtic Patrick O'Bryant in head-to-head competition. Not that it's hard to do that, but Santiago is certainly capable of competing at the NBA level.

If the Rockets are truly committed to moving on, they could do a lot worse than give Santiago another shot at the NBA. His experience and wide array of skills would make him a great asset to the team.

Hoopsworld article take it for what it's worth

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Santiago is a guy I liked for the Rox earlier; with Adelman he would seem a fine fit.

If signed, along with the 'Recalcitrant Three-o' (Deke/Landry/Dorsey) I'd be fine with letting the roster sort itself out.

Hayes is, or would seem to be, movable. Head, and his expiring, can still stick the open 3. Harris? Strawberry? So, sign Santiago. Swap Hayes (and/or make a 'deal' with Deke - stay ready we'll bring you back when it's time. Til then, be a 'coach').

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

10. Chamillionaire

we need landry. if his knee is fine, then we need to sign him, if he has chronic knee problems, then we need to be looking elsewhere.

deke has another year left, especially if we sign dorsey.

landry
    dorsey
    deke

the last 3 pieces of the puzzle.

11. tharges

tharges Member

Alonzo Morning! Blocks shots aggressive can finish. Cheap? :confused:

12. tsunami

tsunami Member

You have no clue. The very original article was from Sohu, and then HoopsWorld translated into English, then Sina translated back to Chinese again. Go figure.

13. AXG

AXG Member

Didn't we discuss this in the forum a few years back? Santiago can't play. Pass.

14. tsunami

tsunami Member

Man can change.... He finally developed into a good player, he couldn't play then but can play now....

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Alonzo Morning will be perfect!

16. Air-Olajuwon

Air-Olajuwon Member

I've seen him alot in Unicaja Malaga, he is not NBA-material, he is too weak. He is good against Centers in Europe but he is very sensitive and some games I saw with him in it he got shut down because the opponent-center was a little bit more buffed than him. I remember a game when he played against some african Center who is absolutely terrible, I think his name is Eze something and he killed Daniel just because he played him physical and Daniel was whining all the time and lost that fight against a less skilled center just because he couldn't handle the contact.

If you can't handle the physical game, then NBA isn't something for you even if you're darn skilled.

17. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQa35CX--Tk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQa35CX--Tk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i kno its euroleague, but im slightly impressd :confused:

18. joesr

joesr Member

Actually I did hear the Dekes agent was saying he should get more money.

but yeah Landry is starting to screw things up now. The longer he waits the harder its on us. Errr, Morey.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Right on the spot. It's starting to get troublesome now. Time is starting to run out.

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He's rehabbing a busted knee. The same injury that sent him to retirement. He may be not ready until January if at all. If his knee is good, he will give Miami first crack. That's not good for Yao to have no backup until January.