1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Angelo Russell to Minnesota

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Feb 6, 2020.

1. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

man... that top 3 protected draft pick going to the warriors is bothersome. it's likely going to convey bc twolves suck but they don't suck so much that theyre bottom 3. that value alone is probably worth more than dlo who is also a blackhole and costs $30m a year.

da_juice and daywalker02 like this.
  2. AXG

AXG Member

Golden State fleeced Minny. Russell didn't really fit there and they a good first round pick. Not to mention but Wiggins has been better this season

da_juice and clutchdabear like this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Man, thats huge getting out of that Wiggins contract. He was a lead anchor

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As much as I hate to say it, the Warriors are going to make out like bandits here.And, it REALLY sets them up. Wiggins has the big contract, but he's been upping his game of late. This kid will blossom in GS...and, they're getting picks too...Damn!
    It's a game changer next year, and in the grand scheme of things.

da_juice likes this.
  5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I was never a fan of DLO's game and do not think he is a very good player (IMO he's average to above average for winning teams).

That said this trade is questionable from the Warriors side. Why not simply trade Dlo for Covington/Deing and the picks? Did they view Wiggins (despite his contract) as the preferable option? Maybe GS thought they could improve Wiggins with their culture, system and the guidance of Curry/Dray. Seeing how Cousins & Javelle thrived under GS, I guess I wouldn't bet against the possibility. Heck even DLo's shot profile/game improved under Kerr.

For Minnesota, I liked the acquisition of Beasley, JuanGomez, but don't think they will improve much if at all this season, even with DLO. I may be wrong, but I just don't see him making a big difference to them being a playoff team in the West this season or beyond.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Any contenders in the West will love to pay Wiggins salaries just to put him in the GSW rotation.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

So many differing opinions on this one.

Good trade for GSW because of the haul.
    Bad trade for GSW because they could have gotten more / they're now saddled with Wiggins' contract.

Good trade for Minny because they get rid of Wiggins' contract.
    Bad trade for Minny because Wiggins is on the upswing and they lost picks.

8. TimDuncanDonaut

Wiggins and D. Russell both have large (but similar contracts), about 29 mil per year for 3+ years left.

One can argue Russell in the last two years is starting to play up to that level. Even then I think he's slightly overpaid. Russell (6'4") made sense, because Steph and Klay are out. When they return, he becomes an expensive backup. Wiggins (6'7) can play for SF for them, lineup makes more sense.

In many's eyes, Russell > Wiggins right now, so Minny gave picks to easier to swallow.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Russell was going to share the guard spot with one of the Splash brothers when they get back to health.

Wiggins can clock more time at SF for the time being.

It isn't ideal but I do not want to see another title in the Bay area, not in the next 2 years at least.

10. TimDuncanDonaut

Klay has to play SF, if Steph and D. Russell are starting guards. Klay can but I think he rather be a natural 2.

When Kyrie was first announced to go to BKN, Russell was excited, was even tweeting at the star guard combo possibility. But days later he got shipped to GSW for KD.

#50 TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    plutoblue11 and daywalker02 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not a fan but I wish they could come back to being a 4th or 5th seed, making the West even more interesting.

Hate the J@zz substantially more, was never obsessed with them in the Morey way.

plutoblue11 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree, they would've had 2 playmakers to go with Thompson, Green, and the young players, along with a top 3 to 5 pick.

Wiseman, Green, Thompson, D'Lo, and Curry would've been the best starting 5 in the NBA.

Wiseman, Green, Wiggins, Klay, and Curry is pretty scary, too.

da_juice likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lowe: D'Angelo Russell Didn't Have A Lot Of Trade Value Beyond Wolves

The Golden State Warriors decided against waiting until the offseason to resolve their situation with D'Angelo Russell, trading him to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Andrew Wiggins, a 2021 first round pick and a 2021 second round pick.

"I just don't think D'Angelo Russell has a lot of trade value," said Zach Lowe. "I know D'Angelo Russell doesn't have a lot of trade value. I think they maybe got one other hard offer for him that was not close to this."

The New York Knicks also reportedly had interest in Russell.

Lowe cited Russell's mediocre defense and relatively average offense as reasons against him having much trade value.

Vivi likes this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe they want to lose more now.

Sajan and JW86 like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's the future they are worried about. Not the immediate present.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

“I’d be lying if I told you I thought it was possible,” Towns said. “I’m shocked like everybody else. We’ve been putting it into the universe since Day 1. We’ve never been shy about saying it in the media or interviews or wherever it may be. If you want something to happen, you have to keep believing and keep saying it to the universe and repeating it and one day the universe will hear it and give you your wish.”

“I think with D-Lo here, it’s always going to be a big incentive for me to want to stay,” Towns told Krawczynski. “D-Lo is a big part of everything the vision is. D-Lo always knows he’s going to be wanted because his brother is here with him and he always knows he’s going to have his back covered because I’m always going to be there for him.”

“First off we’re not friends, we’re brothers. That’s like blood to me. Why I think we’re going to be great, when you see the great teams in history, they always had a great big man and a great guard. I think we now have those two things set up for success.”

As Chris Hine of The Star Tribune tweets, and as Krawczynski writes for The Athletic, Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor signed off on going into luxury-tax territory to complete the Russell trade. The team’s 2019/20 salary is currently over the tax line by just $1,324,442, per John Hollinger of The Athletic, so the penalty will be minimal. “We wanted to get going on a better year,” Taylor told Krawczynski. “I told them that if we had to do it, we’ll do it.”

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/02/wolves-notes-towns-russell-tax-beasley.html

Vivi likes this.
  17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They can use their own pick + min pick for
    Who is going to sign in Minnesota. It's not like Russels contract is better.

da_juice likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kerr: Wolves Needed Andrew Wiggins To Be A Star, We're Not Asking Him To Be A Star

The Golden State Warriors hope Andrew Wiggins will come closer to fulfilling his potential than he did with the Minnesota Timberwolves as he fills a lesser role with fewer expectations.

"There's a difference in the role that we're gonna ask him to play, too," Kerr said. "Minnesota needed him to be a star. And we're not asking him to be a star. We're asking him to play a role on a team that already has some star players. There's a huge difference there.

"When you have to play that role, it means bringing energy every night more than it means putting up numbers. He's very capable of giving us numbers, but what we need is energy and the commitment defensively and sprinting the floor."

Wiggins also plays a position of need for the Warriors more than D'Angelo Russell.

"It's a positional fit when we're healthy," Kerr explained. "The big hole in the roster really is at the three. Wings are really hard to come by -- both in the draft and in free agency. Positionally, this makes a lot of sense.

"Wiggins is an electric athlete and we want to play fast. He's gonna be on the wing -- we're gonna try to push the ball ahead -- and we're gonna ask him to sprint the wing every time down the floor. He's got the length and the speed to fill that role as a small forward. There's a lot to like.

"He's been in a tough spot and people have talked about him underachieving the last few years, so let's see what we can do and let's see what he can do next to a group of players who have been wildly successful."

Vivi likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So taller WB extra lite.