1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dan Langhi = Tom Chambers.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 28, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Jack

New Jack Member

Langhi's ballhandling skills are good but they ain't THAT great. It's not like he's going to be point forward or anything.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

New Jack,

That is exactly what he could be.

------------------
    Clutchcity500.net is where all the action is!

3. New Jack

New Jack Member

I don't know. I only saw him play a few games in college and the 2 games on espn recently and from what I've seen of him, his jump shooting skills are better then anyone the rockets have but his ball handling skills don't impress me as much as it seems to impress everyone else here.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

[This message has been edited by New Jack (edited July 28, 2000).]

4. haven

haven Member

Who claimed during the Clutchchat on draft day that Langhi would be a better player than Jason Collier? *smiles smugly*

Alright alright, I know preening is premature as hell, but gosh this feels good.

Ok, I admit it, saying he'd be better than Collier wasn't saying much.

Anyway, I'm not going to compare Langhi to any of these players (largely because I was a little kid when most of them played), but I will say this: 13pts, 5 boards this year, if he's given enough minutes.

------------------

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

TheFreak, maybe that should be a knock on Anderson.

haven, Langhi would be lucky to get 5 boards with starters minutes. 13 points would be like third or fourth for bench players in the league - more than Croshere for example. I think that's getting carried away depending on how many minutes you were saying were enough. I don't think he'll get more than fifteen or twenty.

[This message has been edited by oakdogg (edited July 28, 2000).]

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Collier plays like a poor man's Dave Feitl.
    [​IMG]

------------------
    There are three kinds of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.

7. TraJ

TraJ Member

Enough already haven, who said Langhi would be better than Collier? [​IMG]

------------------

8. haven

haven Member

Take a good guess [​IMG].

Oakdogg: I said that Langhi could average those #'s IF HE GOT THE MINUTES... which he won't. Personally, I'd like to see him get the bulk of the minutes at the 3, if he shows he's nearly as worthy of the tiem as Walt. Afterall, Langhi's much younger and should be developed with an eye for the future. I don't think 13pts per game is really that much, given that imho, Langhi virtually renders Bullard irrelevant (is he even going to play next year?).

I think the Rockets will have plenty of shots to distribute next year, and given the team's lack of depth, I could see Langhi getting 10-12 shots per game.

I admit, however, that given Rudy T's love of experience, I doubt he'll have the opportunity.

------------------

9. oakdogg

haven, i agree. I thought you meant like 20 minutes a game. 13-5 is probably a pretty safe bet for Langhi given starter's mins., which he probably won't get. Sorry for the misunderstanding. One of the things that seems pretty good about the way Langhi gets his points is that he shoots (or at least he has been) for a pretty high percentage facing the basket and shooting a lot of jump shots. Those kinds of guys are nice to have.

------------------

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

You guys are kidding yourselves if you don't think Langhi will get a good chunk of minutes next year...

small body or not, his game fits in sufficiently to be the fourth option easily on the Rockets.

The Rockets' offense primarily consists of:

Steve Francis
    Shandon Anderson
    Cuttino Mobley
    Walt Williams
    Dan Langhi

-and somehow combining the talents of
    Moochie Norris
    Kenny Thomas
    Kelvin Cato
    Tyronne Washington

------------------
    Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning? - Dubyah in Florence, SC. 01/11/2000

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No way. Langhi is white.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

12. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

I heard on ESPN that Langhi is signed to only a 1-year deal? The commentators said this during the game... Does anyone know if this is true?.......because the Rockets will have to pay this guy big money next year if he plays like he has in the Revue.

------------------
    $$ out $$

13. stringthing

stringthing Member

I understood Langhi signed a 2 year deal with some guaranteed money (perhaps the first year?) Can anyone verify this?
    [​IMG]

------------------

14. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

Langhi has a long way to go before he merits 20 minutes a game. Bullard played very well last year, and Langhi will have to beat out Matt and Los for minutes.

Putting the ball on the floor in the Rocky Mountain Review is ALOT different than trying to dribble through the incredibly quick hands and long arms of the NBA.

If Langhi averages 6+ points a game this year, I think he is a steal as a second round picked rookie. His sophomore year will be his breakout year, imo.

------------------

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rocketexpert,

With his skills Rudy will get him in the game. KT was a starter at the end of last year, and Langhi is MUCH better then KT.

DaDakota

PS. Walt can take a hike as far as I am concerned Langhi is already head and shoulders better then him.

------------------

16. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

DaDakota,

I think your jumping the gun a little - no way - too much here. Sure, we're all happy with Langhi's progress this summer, as he's proving that he has promise and should be a steal for the second round. But I think its unfair to all parties to say he is head and shoulders better than the Wizard, or Kenny Thomas for that matter. I think we're making too much of three Rocky Mountian Revue Games, where's he's played very well. Isn't that the equivalent of being an honours student in summer school? Lets see Langhi pull up a series of 15+ point games against the sophisticated defensive traps, and bigger and more experienced bodies of the NBA like Williams did at the end of last season. Until he's truly tested by the grueling NBA schedule and bigger, faster and smarter players of that league,i ts not even worth comparing him to the Wizard, or any other proven vet. Now, please don't get me wrong, he could very well surpass everyone's wildest imaginations, get some quality minutes, and be a key contributer to this team. But, he's still has a lot to prove before we rank him with the best of next year's rookie class.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.

[This message has been edited by Azim da Dream (edited July 29, 2000).]

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Chambers was more of a power forward. Langhi handles the ball like a guard, Chambers wasn't as good of a ballhandler. I never saw Chambers cross anyone over. The Houston comparison has to be off as well, simply because Langhi's 5 inches taller. I agree, Langhi looks like he will be outstanding. He's not only having his way in these games, he doesn't even appear to be exerting much energy. A lot of the time he doesn't even look for his shot, but tries to get everyone else involved (keep in mind this is summer league, where everyone is concerned with showing their stuff). His defense doesn't look that bad to me as far as lateral movement. He also looks to have the capability to be a weak-side shotblocker. If people can say Martin, Fizer, Swift, etc. are going to be stars based solely on their college career, I think the same can be said about Langhi. He's already looking like he should've been a top 10 pick.

------------------
    A little bit better than I used to be

18. RENDIGGLER3:20

stringthing is right thats what the commentators said(guaranteed 1 year) during the cleveland game.

------------------

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Azim,

I am saying, I have seen the future, and it is Dan Langhi.

This guy has more game then most players in the NBA today.

He is HIGHLY intelligent and athletic and plays with an attitude. When you put those things together you get an exceptional player.

I have seen enough, Langhi will be a star in the NBA, no doubt in my mind.

I know it is the summer league, but KT, Moochi, Mihm, Artest, Fizer, and many others are NBA players ...good NBA players, and Langhi makes them all look like Stiffs.

Sorry, I call em like I see em, and Langhi is going to be a REAL player, as soon as Rudy gets him on the court.

Heck, I would get rid of Walt right now, he has NEVER had the skillset that Langhi has now.

As for those of you saying he needs more weight....I give you George Gervin !!! Give me a SMART skinny guy who can score anyday over some stiff who is strong.

DaDakota

Langhi is the answer at SF...I guarantee it.

[​IMG]

------------------

20. oakdogg

What about Chuck "the Rifleman" Person? Langhi also kind of reminds me of a better ballhandling, taller, more athletic Eddie Johnson with his quick shot and deadly, but streaky accuracy. Of course, I didn't see much of Eddie until he was older and a lot less athletic than I would presume he was when he was younger.

------------------

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.