1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dan Langhi ... "en fuego"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 25, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

For those not watching, Langhi is 8-9 from the field for 19 points through three quarters....

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

Deckard, sirjesse and RudyTBag like this.
  2. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

Yeah, he looks good! How can the Rockets Brass look so good drafting him and so stupid selecting Collier? Gotta be something there but I just Don't see it!

------------------
    Rockets For Better, For Worse......'til death do us part!

3. cson

cson Contributing Member

Yeah Langhi showed up to play, you can really see the Bullard comparisons( but he's still no Najera!)

------------------

4. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

Looks alot more athletic than Bull and gets the ball off real fast and can create!

------------------

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The thing that impressed me the most was how he used his picks to get open.

He has court savvy, I mean the kid KNOWS how to play the game the right way.

If he plays with this much confidence and ability in the regular season, we may have found another nugget in round 2, unfortunately we will have to go through the Free Agent crap with him in 2 years, just like Mobley.

DaDakota

------------------

6. MManal

MManal Member

One word to describe Langhi's performance: WOW!

He proved that he could do everything and more that people were talking about. I saw him one time at Vanderbilt when he went against Stromile Swift, and he looked pretty good, but this is something on a completely different level. The guy at 6-11 was handling the ball extremely well and getting his shot off the dribble with ease. What amazed me were the couple of times he used that hesitation/cross over dribble to create spacing then pulled up and drained the shot. He clearly has the game to play the SF position in the NBA and with his ball handling and shooting will cause a ton of match up problems at 6-11. The comparisons that some were using between Langhi and Bullard are just flat out wrong. Langhi is not a set shooter like Bullard and can get his shot off the dribble without much problem. Also, his ball handling is a lot lot lot better than Bull's. Langhi is also a whole lot more athletic and has a quick release on his shot. Let's hope he can keep this type of performance and continue to develop his strength b/c it is looking like the Rockets have a major steal here.

I could see him developing into a Predrag Stojakovic type player with a lights out perimeter shot and the ability to take the ball off the dribble. It would not surprise me if he becomes a poor man's Nowitzki, but its still too early to tell. Langhi's game suits the NBA very well, something that cant be said for Najera imho.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Langhi sure had a big game!! I have no idea what you're tlaking about though cson... bullard comparisons - are you talking about them having similar game styles or similar bodies, because they sure have similar bodies, but if you've ever seen Matt Bullard put the ball on the floor you'd know that they don't have similar game styles.....

As far as Collier goes, I don't think he was too bad today. Sure he made a lot of little mistakes, but he's very big and he parked himself in the post and tried to follow everything and go after all the offensive boards. He gave up some silly fouls defensively, but he also didn't look awful there either. I'm a bit concerned because I know he was projected to play minutes at PF, but he just looked unable to do that... we'll have to wait and see how he goes when he's got some "real" players around him.

------------------

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

He'd need a few more pounds on his body to become the Nowitzki type - something to help him keep his rebounding positioning! I just liked the way he moved without the ball as well!! And his speed was SO impressive!!

------------------

9. alaskansnowman

Hell yes DaDakota.

Langhi has a very good instinct for the game. But not only that but Langhi is a pretty good dribbler. Keep in mind that this guy is 6'11. He even dribbled up the court one time while there was a full court press on him. And the best part of all is that he can CREATE ON HIS OWN. That's something that Matt Bullard cannot do. It's only one game, but I say Langhi's shot is better than Bull's, simply becuz Langhi has more diversity to his shot. He can shoot off the dribble, and has a pure mid-range game also.

And, I havent even mentioned his athletecism yet. I was real impressed when Langhi took off and just POWER SLAMMED it in this guy's face and hung on the rim.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

10. TraJ

TraJ Member

I don't think anyone ever used the words "good ballhandling" and "Matt Bullard" in the same sentence. I don't know whether or not Langhi will end up being a good NBA player, but I think the Matt Bullard comparisons have got to stop.

------------------

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Traj said...

I don't think anyone ever used the words "good ballhandling" and "Matt Bullard" in the same sentence.

One thing Matt Bullard does not have is good ball handling.

There, it is in a sentence.

[​IMG]

DaDakota

------------------

12. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

13. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

Definately the matt Bullard comparisons have got to stop. When was the last time you saw Bull break someones ankles? When was the last time Bull brought the ball upcourt against the press? This guy has alot of potential. I just hope that Rudy can help him reach it.

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

14. Old School

Old School Member

I know it's not a big deal but I always like to see a guy put a little something extra on his dunks and Langhi did that tonight with that nasty one. I used to love the way Kevin Willis would jam with authority...it shows, to me, that they like a power game.

Old School

------------------
    Just Build It!

15. jason4vu

jason4vu New Member

I live in Nashville and I am a huge Vanderbilt fan.I have watched Langhi play the last four years, and I am telling you Houston has gotten a great player. Langhi plays with so much heart and will only continue to improve.If anyone has any questions feel free to email me.

------------------

16. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

Maybe instead of comparing him to Bullard maybe we should compare him to Croshere with his shooting touch and hustle just not quite as thick yet!

------------------

17. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

I also saw the game and he looked good. The ball handling may have been the biggest surprise for me.

------------------
    "UNBEATABLE"

18. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Man, the dribbling and shooting are all good but did you guys see that DUNK?? When was the last time Matt Bullard did THAT? Langhi has a fan in me!...for now anyway. [​IMG]

------------------
    Ugh, Another Rockets off-season....I'm gonna need a keg
    Pepto-Bismol.

19. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Tonight at the game, a friend were clearing out a section at the SLCC by constantly chanting for Langhi. It was pretty funny.

I tried to get some 'top secret info', but I apparently don't have the knack.

I went up to Rudy T.

me: Hey Coach, is Cuttino staying?

Rudy T: we hope so.

me: thanks.

I then went up to Carroll Dawson. At first (this was after the game) he was talking on the phone reading a stat sheet to the person on the other side. He kept complimenting Langhi he's 6'10" and can put it on the floor with either hand and then he interrupted himself when Coach Sloan walked by-

Dawson: Hi Coach

Sloan, somewhat uncomfortably: Hi

Dawson: You got a steal in Stevenson

Sloan: He's too damn young, I can't do anything with him

Dawson eventually got off of the phone when his wife walked up. I meant to ask about Cuttino and stumbled in my first sentence:

me: Mr. Dawson - Langley, I mean is Langhi going to take the starting SF from Walt?

Dawson: He played really well, huh?

me: he was great, I was...

Dawson then asked me my name and introduced me to his wife. I never recovered to ask about Cuttino.

Later during the next game, I ventured a question to Moochie, who had taken his hair out into a fro.

me: Hey Mooch... is Cuttino coming back

Moochie: We don't know

One of the asst. coaches joked with me that if Moochie wore his hair one way the next day it meant one thing, and another way another... I guess they were tired of being asked the same question.

Incidentally, I sat direcftly behind Mr. Evil himself during the Toronto-Chicago game... Jerry Krause. I pondered asking him about a Drew-Fizer 'straight-up' swap but I figured he wouldn't find it amusing. He is really short, and really fat. I could imagine why a top athlete would find it hard to associate that pile of s@#$ with a career decision. I wanted to help him out though, so I kept insisting how good Amal McAllister was (god he's tenacious) and what poor decisions Fizer kept making (by dribbling the ball up the court instead of handing it off to a guard).

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited July 26, 2000).]

20. #1rocketsfan

#1rocketsfan Contributing Member

alright i know this was only one game and all but this is what i have heard he can do so my question is why was he a second round pick and not a first?

------------------