1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damn, Caserio.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Sep 18, 2023.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And you would have had Mills at QB. No thanks.

Drafts are judged after 3 seasons in my opinion. Nico Collins is coming into his own. Stingley is showing. Pierce. Pitre is a homerun. Christian Harris is getting better. Metchie and Jordan are still unknowns.

2. raining threes

Agreed for this very reason about waiting to pick a QB.

Agreed about building the ol. But he didn't have 1st or 2nd Rd picks in his 1st draft and drafted Green who got hurt in the 1st rd of his 2nd draft.

This last yr he drafted Scruggs and Patterson, plus traded for Mason, Jones, Kendrick Green, in addition to signing Broeker off of the Packers PS. I'm not sure there's more that he could've done.

I wanted him to pick Neal and Jordan Davis and Sam Williams 2 drafts ago and last draft pick Carter after trading up , plus drafting WA and picking a QB in 2024. For a QB this year Caserio should have brought in Mishew Dalton, Bridgewater etc.... IMHO

3. raining threes

Agreed for this very reason about waiting to pick a QB.

Agreed about building the ol. But he didn't have 1st or 2nd Rd picks in his 1st draft and drafted Green who got hurt in the 1st rd of his 2nd draft.

This last yr he drafted Scruggs and Patterson, plus traded for Mason, Jones, Kendrick Green, in addition to signing Broeker off of the Packers PS. I'm not sure there's more that he could've done.

I wanted him to pick Neal and Jordan Davis and Sam Williams 2 drafts ago and last draft pick Carter after trading up , plus drafting WA and picking a QB in 2024. For a QB this year Caserio should have brought in Mishew Dalton, Bridgewater etc.... IMHO

4. raining threes

I would have brought in a guy like Minshew, Dalton, Bridgewater to compete with Mills. However if you wanted to ensure a chance at one of the top 3 QB's in 2024 starting Mills wouldn't have been a bad idea. Williams, Sanders, Maye.

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He's sat on his hands for three consecutive free agency periods, choosing to sign one-year journeymen and never-weres instead of using cap space to build his OL. In the '21 draft, he wasted his best pick on a QB and traded three draft picks for Nico Collins. Last year, he took Green over several OL taken in round 1 who have been notably better (Tyler Smith, Tyler Linderbaum, Trevor Penning). And, of course, this year, by dumping so much precious draft capital into his silly trade for Will Anderson, he missed out on two highly-touted interior linemen taken near the top of the 2nd round.

He has so thoroughly mis-managed the building of this team....

Agent94 and HillBoy like this.
  7. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Nick is trying to hit the home run when he just should have built this team the right way. Not sure if he’s pressured by ownership or what.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I'm smarter than everyone else personality leading to plain stupidity.

houstonstime and Hey Now! like this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And you would have had Mills at QB. No thanks.
    If you bring in a QB like Minshew, you win too many games. You won’t have a top 5 pick. You are trading the same or more than what you would have this year. You will not get Williams and he is probably the only sure thing at QB. The other QBs are not better Stroud (no matter what delusions @cmoak1982 has). So yes, you have Carter and Anderson but probably the 4th or 5th best QB at best and the bust rate for those QBs is high. The problem with always looking to the next shining QB, is you are always chasing that QB. Stroud is showing signs of being that guy. If that is the case, the Texans made the right decision.

“Oh, scouts say Drake Maye is the best prospect”. Scouts said Levis is better than Stroud…. They said that until they actually had to draft Levis. Drake Maye is not better than Stroud throwing the ball.

Sanders is good, he is not better than Stroud.

#69 Mr.Scarface, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  10. Hey Now!

Yes! Especially Stingley-over-Gardner, which just reeked of smartest-guy-in-the-room arrogance. It's the same thing that fueled the Anderson trade, which was so irresponsible.

His draft record is atrocious. They cannot give this guy another crack at it.

houstonstime likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maye is better than Stroud in literally every way.
    Literally every scouting service has said as much. Sorry you just don’t know what you’re talking about.

Also, no one said Levis was better passer than Stroud

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No, he is not. Maye is just another QB that fits certain people’s “ideal” QB. Maye doesn’t have eye popping games against elite competition. He is no sure thing. I don’t want hear…..”scouts this or that”. Many times you just have to watch people play against Great competition. You dismiss the Georgia game for Stroud, but that is best evaluation for Stroud. Along with the eye popping stats. There were 5 teams that were 5 teams (atleast) willing to trade up for Stroud. Teams do not make public their evaluations of players. Public scouting evaluation is smoke screens. I think the Texans always had Stroud ahead of Young, because of size alone. That’s why they didn’t care about the #1.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

GDamn I hate this narrative.

Green sucked. It wasn't "oh, darn, bummer he got hurt what could've been." He was awful and had show zero.
    Beyond that, Scruggs and Mason are investments in the line (though it looks like Mason is cooked) the rest of those guys are scrubs or total unknowns. That's not an investment.

Trading for Josh Jones and Kendrick Green should probably be held AGAINST Caserio instead of used as a defense. Both of those guys are likely awful and don't help this team. Broeker, who knows, I won't hate on him. Patterson was a late round pick as a third center.

There's nothing redeeming here.

With that said, I disagree with the "shouldn't draft a franchise QB until you're ready narrative." Actual franchise QBs are insanely difficult to find. If Stroud is one, then it was a good pick. If this were a well run franchise I'd say the mistake was trading up for Will Anderson as well, you needed to pick one or the other and save your ammo. However, with this organization it probably doesn't matter. They need a new personnel person so bad.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry. You’re wrong.

He has several elite games against elite competition.
    And better stats than your “eye popping” stats from Stroud

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

In Caserio we don’t trust anymore

We need Adam Peters

Shark44 likes this.
  16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well considering how he was hired, I am not the least bit surprised at the results. Of course EVERYONE will blame the head coach when their battlered koolaid high wears off. In fact on the r/Texans Reddit forum the blame DeMeco chants have already started.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. justtxyank

It's very possible that Demeco isn't and will never be a good head coach. Most NFL hires don't turn out to be good head coaches.

But that said, it's WAY too early in the process to evaluate him.

Caserio's got enough to look at. He just doesn't have any real positives, even if you dismiss some of the negatives. There's just not much there.

Rudyc281 and HillBoy like this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No, he doesn't. Maye has 43 TDs and 11ints in his college career. Stroud was 85TDs, 12 INTs for his career. Unless Maye throws 42 TDs and only 1INT for the rest of this year, he is not touching that. If May averages 282 yards a game for 10 games, he could match Stroud's yardage. Maye doesn't wow game against a top 10 opponent (His good game against Norte Dame was against an 0-2 Irish team and he SUCKED against Clemson).

19. Hey Now!

Exactly! There are all these silly excuses letting Caserio off the hook, and I'm not really sure why we keep indulging them. I can certainly understand a lack of urgency around certain positions because he did face a years-long rebuild.

But offensive linemen, generally, tend to play for a long time. There was absolutely no excuse not to throw money at linemen the past three years to build that foundation. But even if you reject that as a path - they *knew* they were drafting a QB and had cap space this offseason... Eight OL ranked among PFF's top 60 free agents switched teams this offseason, and the Texans signed exactly zero of them. They knew Green was a liability; they knew they had no center & no depth behind Tunsil and Howard....

They did trade for Mason - but it sure seems like they didn't know exactly what they were getting, which points to scouting. I'm just..... it's so frustrating...

HillBoy and justtxyank like this.
  20. justtxyank

The OLine is the one I think people really need to stop excusing. Even Caserio's BS excuse of "well we couldn't get a good FA in May or June" or whatever is just total BS. Green was terrible last year AND injured, not terrible because of injury. They imported Shaq Mason which was an understandable move, but they 100% absolutely needed to have at least a mediocre option at LG and C on the roster as veterans before the draft.

Scott Q wasn't any good. Him getting hurt didn't change anything. Yeah, they had bad luck from Juice getting hurt.

But LG, total disgrace. And Caserio has made comments that seem to indicate he doesn't place much value on OL continuity as well, something that doesn't bode well for a zone scheme based line.

There's just no meat on the bone here. Stroud being an elite QB would probably save him, but at this point I don't think it should. Just move on.

Red.Glare, Rudyc281 and Hey Now! like this.