1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damn, Caserio.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Sep 18, 2023.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hard to dispute we could use more talent across the board, but CJ has hardly looked like a guy we should be worried about. I might even be inclined to have kept 12 last year and go CJ/Christian Gonzalez instead and be in position for a guy like Marvin Harrison Jr next year while still improving the defense.

Fun to toss around the what if's.

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

It never made sense to trade back up. Just ownership not being patient with rebuild cuz they can't stomach the empty seats. We were not 1 player away. 1 more bad season to build a Super Bowl contender would have been fine

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah; it is going to bite them for years. The early return on both guys is positive - esp. CJ - so that tempers the deal a bit. But trading one player for 3 top 30 players is just a terrible waste of resources at this point; compounded by him blowing the 1st rounder last year (Green).

I'll say this all year: but giving Caserio another offseason would be the biggest mistake this franchise has ever made.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The knee jerking was to be expected, but with essentially the entire o line injured, a rookie QB,a rookie playcaller, a rookie head coach, amd rookies at other key spots like WR and LB....a slow start was to be expected.

There's no reason to think this team won't continue to get better every week as they get healthier and more experience.

Fyreball, Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  5. raining threes

And still he's going to be a great player. That's what teams should be looking for, give me great players and we'll worry about the rest as things come up. There's a reason Philly's one of the most talented teams in the NFL and won a SB, rebuilt their team and are contenders for another SB. Meanwhile the Texans are still floundering around as bottom dwellers during this same time frame. As I've said many times until the Texans start doing business like the Eagles, Chiefs etc... do they will always be a 2nd tier franchise at best.

I'm sure he's remorseful and something like this wont happen again.

However the girl was totally responsible for what happened. She didn't have to race him. Personal responsibility should come into play somewhere, but I guess that's gone out the window these days.

6. raining threes

I would rather have Will and 1-12 + 2-33 (Would've traded up for Carter) + the Texans and Browns 1sts in 2024.

Fix the DL with star level young talent

Then work on the offense in 2024. I also would've drafted a TE in the 2023 class at 3-65 and Dell at 3-80. Oh well water under the bridge.

Dredd, Hey Now! and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

A defensive tackle, not named Aaron Donald, is not going to change your team. CJ Stroud can and probably will.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Completely agree. The two biggest things that need to improve are honestly Slowik's play calling and DeMeco's game planning. I'll hold out judgement on both until they have an actual functional offensive line that can play, and 2 of the best play-making safeties in the league come back from injury. The first half of the Indianapolis game was disappointing to say the least, so the hope is that the coaching staff learned from that and can improve on their preparation during the week.

9. Major

Major Member

The Texans didn't even have the #1 pick this year with Davis Mills and Lovie Smith and without Anderson. What makes you sure they'd have the #1 pick next year?

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Tom Brady coverered up for a lot of roster issues with the Patriots. Caserio didn't exactly have a great track record there and he has been no better here. It is hard to evaluate this year before the offensive line gets healthy, but the early returns on their front seven is still pretty shaky.

Hey Now! likes this.
  11. raining threes

WA, Carter are game changers. Carter is that good. By the time this team is hopefully good Stroud will be on his 2nd contract and the chances of winning championships ar greatly reduced.

12. raining threes

It's not going to get better until the ol gets healthy and plays together for a while.

13. raining threes

I would be ok with Sanders, Maye.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

A defensive tackle, not named Aaron Donald, is not going to change your team. CJ Stroud can and probably will.
    I am not using a 1st and trading a 2nd and 4th....for Carter. Talent is top 3 in the draft, behavior is potentially a timebomb. If he would have dropped to 12, then maybe.

15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Cuz they look like the worst team so far.. even if they didn't get it trading up for a qb makes way more sense than trading up for a DE.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

They looked like the worst team last year and didn't end up with the #1 pick. In the trade scenario, you assume that the team who has #1 is not going to want a QB that you think is amazing.

BMoney and conquistador#11 like this.
  17. raining threes

I would have, getting a chance to get the best 2 players in a draft without having to give up multiple 1sts. Sign me up, gotta agree to disagree about the time bomb thingy.

18. raining threes

Right now Carter has more pressures (11) than Nick Bosa, Myles Garrett, Donald.

More hurries (10) than Quinnen Williams, T.J. Watt, Parsons.

Pressure rate % (19.3) is better Joey Bosa, Kalil Mack, Kenny Clark

7th most double teamed DT with the 5th highest win rate %

Think putting Carter and Anderson together might have eliminated some of what we saw Sunday? I also wanted to draft Jordan Davis last yr instead of Green.

WA/Carter/Davis/Greenard. With Collins and Ridgeway as backup DT's and Hughes, Horton as reserve DE's. This is how the 49ers built their defense. Young Stud DL's.

Per NFL Rookie Watch

Best player in this draft. Well worth 1-12/2-34/4th rd pick. What could've been putting 2 young rookie stars together for the next decade. He does appear to be a timebomb Mr. Scarface, on IOL's

#58 raining threes, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The problem the Texans have is that they are SO bereft of virtually any talent, that taking a QB *right now* isn't really a sound plan because you're going to waste 1-3 years of his cheap contract just trying to field a competitive team around him.

That's why I unilaterally reject the idea Caserio's hands were tied the past several years: bullshit. He should've been building his lines and getting ready for the arrival of a franchise QB. Instead, he signed a bunch of journeymen nobodies and they have almost zero nucleus to build around Stroud. It absolutely floors me he still has a job - I can't think of a single reason why he should.

I loved the DeMeco hire. But my enthusiasm will be permanently tempered as long as he's partnered with an absolute moron of a GM, who looked at this WFL-level roster and thought.... I should deal multiple premium picks for one player because that's *EXACTLY* what this roster is missing: one good player.

B-Bob likes this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I love Will Anderson BUT they have so many wholes. Another playmaker would have helped on the offensive and defensive side, there were many at #12, plus you would have had #33.

Now you've open up the possibilities of losing the possible #1 overall pick as well, which you could have used in trade to trade back and set yourself up for the next 2 - 3yrs.

I have nothing against Nick Caserio, I didn't know him when he first arrived other than he was a Lifelonger under Belicheck.

Other than the Watson trade, he has lost EVERY trade! His drafts have been average at best and I can't think of one UDFA he picked up that has become a starter.

WE NEED A COMPETENT GM OR DEMECO'S TIME WILL BE SHORT LIVED.