1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dame Lillard "I'm too solid for this weird azz era"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pringles09, Mar 31, 2021.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

that used to be one of his strong points, when he was first trying to find a role for himself. But as we have seen with many other players, as you develop more and more as a overall player especially offensively like CJ has becoming a more versatile scorer, that other side of the ball will lack. But yeah it's not only him, they just have too many rotational guys who aren't any sort of defensive presence, so collectively that's a big reason why they're all bad

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  2. The Letter O

The Letter O Member

He's taken them out of the first round before, you jackass. They were in the WCF two seasons ago, dill weed.

3. The Letter O

The Letter O Member

That's because he plays up in Portland. Drexler and Roy never got the respect they deserved either. I see your lobotomy worked.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What? Drexler was widely considered on the same plain as Jordan until their finals clash. Roy was considered the best young guard until we found out he was bone on bone

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's probably time to trade Dame while he still has value so Portland can bring in some real help for Melo.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Dame is absolute Teflon in the media. It's borderline Curry-like. I don't know if it's because of Weber State or what that he gets this "little guy against the World" rep, but he was a top lottery pick, he's on a supermax contract and he's had lots of talent around him.

Tell me that any other player would survive this playoff success track record in the media. I tweeted about this in the last playoffs.

It's just bizarre how some media members lock in on narratives.

Nook, Richie_Rich, Jontro and 10 others like this.
  8. DonatelloLimestone

Yea it maybe some illusion or image of Dame staying in a small market. I'm a fan of his game, he has had some incredible moments, but everything you cited above is correct. Blazers do spend and he does have solid talent around him. Despite coming into college and playing for an 'underdog', when you the no 6 pick , higher than curry even. Maybe its both of their natures as being quieter or something along that line of branding. Its hard to take espn too seriously although they dominate or guide the national conversation and this is a great point of how harden, curry, lilard, and many other players all have different arbitrary narratives stuck with them.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Do you not know what consistently means.

And what happened last year?

Nook and hakeem94 like this.
  10. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

This thread is almost as good as the one about Curry.

I love Dame, he's been loyal to his franchise, even though they are a small market team and have had a difficult time putting a top team around him. And he has game, at least on offense. As far as guards in this past decade, I don't think he's up there with James, CP3 or Curry, but I'd take him over Kyrie or Russ.

jiggyfly, Slyonebluejay and DCkid like this.
  11. Caesar

Caesar Member

he also consistently showed up in advanced stats as the worst or just plain worse than Harden as a defender and yet it was all about "Harden plays no defense" hot takes and jokes for years.

Nook, hakeem94 and jiggyfly like this.
  12. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

I think the difference is that Dame is limited defensively, a small guy who gets overpowered physically. James on the other hand has all the tools he needs to be a great defender, but often shows no interested in being one, thus the criticism.

#132 DavidJuan, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
  13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Excuses, excuses

14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Dame is perfect for this era he is another guy that can score that plays no defense just like 99% of the other players in the league.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

All he needed to do was tag KD and Lebron

foh likes this.
  16. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

Well, that didn't take long.

Nook and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  17. HardenVolumeOne

the media is already saying they wont blame lillard if he asks for a trade lol. Dame time has always been about offense not defense

bmelo likes this.
  18. bmelo

bmelo Member

Dame is similiar to James Harden and they are both opposite to the Chris Pauls effect. Chris Paul transforms players of that type to unbeatable looking playoff teams it doesn't matter if he plays with Shai, Booker or HOFers. Dame on the other hand will look good individually, have some "wise" words for the media, give some corny rap quotes on instagram all while having healthy squad with McCollum, Nurkić, Covington, Melo etc and still escape the blame.... like dude You were playing against Denver without Jamal Murray and they went 4-2 with last game being a blowout. Morris dude killed y'all.. you couldn't guard 5'5 Campazzo either points are only one facade aspect of the game can't win in playoffs without defense and smart play 48min a game

19. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

More like "I'm too inconsistent for these 'Dame Time' moments to ever really mean anything."

jiggyfly and hakeem94 like this.
  20. HardenVolumeOne

dame is nothing like harden. He is closer to a rich mans gilbert arenas if anything

harden would average 40 against this nuggets team, especially with no will barton

Nook, vlaurelio and hakeem94 like this.