1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dallasnews.com] Nellie/Harris - "CD GM of the year"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Casting his vote
    Dallas Morning News
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon.../mavs/stories/030705dnspomavsbriefs.6306.html

Don Nelson and assistant coach Del Harris are close friends with Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson. They also are big fans.

"To me, he's the GM of the year," Nelson said. "I really like all the moves they've made, not just getting [Tracy] McGrady, but how they've filled in around him since then."

The Rockets have only three players who were on last season's roster.

And you thought the Mavericks had a lot of turnover.

Dawson is one of the league's most humble executives. He and Rudy Tomjanovich ran the Rockets for more than a decade before Tomjanovich left to fight bladder cancer. Dawson has remained and prospered.

"It's hard for me to believe I'm succeeding if the team isn't," Dawson said. "What we haven't been able to do is survive when we have injuries. To me, what Dallas has done with all their injuries is more impressive."

Perhaps, but the Rockets clearly are positioned well for the future, as well as being solidly in playoff contention this season.

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

No, GM of the Year would be Isaiah Thomas. He's the one that made everything possible for us.

3. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Yes, he is just CD's b*tch. But I am praying for him to stay as Knicks's GM so that we have a chance to pull a Scott Paddget and Spoon for Kurt Thomas trade in this summer.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

I think its between Bryan Colangelo and CD.

I would bet that Colangelo will win barring a miracle finish by Houston and/or collapse by Phoenix.

The Nash and Richardson signings turned Phoenix from a lottery team into the best team in the league. That's hard to ignore.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Suns have added Bo and JJax since the beginning of the year. Their work was done last summer.

Rox made the (2nd biggest) deal last summer. During the season is when the complementary moves were made.

But look at C's and Mavs deals -- 'Toine and KVH for nada. Good deals, just add $$$.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

When that phone rings for Isiah, and he sees "Kindly Redneck" (I say this with affection) on the caller ID, he should start sweating through his suit.

CD calling up to use some more Jedi mind tricks.

Isiah: "This is Isiah."
    CD: "Hey I hear ya'll are fixin' to trade Jamal Crawford."
    Isiah: (proud he doesn't need an interpreter) "We aren't trading Jamal Crawford, who told you that nonsense."
    CD: (waving his fingers at the phone) "You don't need Jamal Crawford."
    Isiah: (staring into distance) "I must kill Papsmear. I must kill..."
    CD: "S**t!" (waving fingers again) "You don't need Jamal Crawford."
    Isiah: "I don't need Jamal Crawford."
    CD: "You want to take back Clarence Weatherspoon."
    Isiah: "Yeah, Clarence is the bomb."
    CD: "You'll sign the paperwork I FedExed you."
    Isiah: "Yeah, send that s**t on over, I'll sign it."

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

true but it didn't take a whole lot of skill on his part. CD worked that orlando deal for what felt like the whole summer. then got bob sura at a bargain price. we started the year with no guards worthy of any PT. now the backcourt is our strength.

CD is hands down GM of the year. hell, he even got rid of mo!

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i find all this dallas/houston love to be disgusting and not in spirit with my unbridled hatred for everything dallas.

9. codell

Im sure the award encompasses moves made during the summer and during the season.

In hindsight, if only based on results, then I would say the T-Mac deal is 3rd behind the Nash and Shaq aquisitions.

Pat Riley might be in the running for the award also. He has made a couple of nice cheap pickups for Miaimi.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

There is a kissing match going on there. :D

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The Rockets are not that far ahead of last season's pace. Given that the Suns went from a non playoff team to competing for the best team in the Western Conference, this isn't a close or tough decision at all.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sure, on first point.

Nash was an FA signing. While positive I thought the discussion was trades?

Riles made a good deal (ok, great deal) and has added pieces very well.

Think HockeyGuy will get any consideration ???

13. codell

I thought it was "GM of the year" which includes trades.

I don't see Weisbrod getting a ton of consideration, but maybe finish top 5.

Orlando is definitely a better team this year, althought alot of that has to do with getting Hill healthy.

I'd say:

1) Colangelo
    2) Dawson
    3) Riley
    4) Weisbrod
    5) either Washington or Chicago's GM

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is a solid list.

It's hard not to give it to Phoenix, but perhaps hidden in Nelson's comments is a jab at Phoenix- who will still be paying Nash 12 million 4 years from now, at age 35. Meanwhile, CD has cut salary and undeniably improved the team.

15. Man

Man Contributing Member

I believe.
    Rockets miracle sounds good :)
    BE BIG lol..do they still use that slogan?

but anyways..yes I agree CD has done a great job. But I think Suns GM more impressive..so Suns GM probably GM of the year

#15 Man, Mar 7, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  16. codell

The funny thing is, if you based most of it on win/loss differential from the prior season, then Dawson is not even top 5. If the Rockets don't finish strong, I would think it would be impossible for him to get the nod.

I think Dawson will get alot of votes, win/loss differential wise, based on our 6-11 start rather than what our record was last year.

17. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

you forgot

CD: "you don't need to see his salary sheet"
    Zeke: "We don't need to see his salary sheet"
    CD: " these aren't the droids you're looking for..."
    Zeke: " these aren't the droids we're looking for..."
    CD: "he can go about his business... move along"
    Zeke: "move along... move along"

[​IMG]

18. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

IMO - I think we are a much more capable team with greater depth. Last year we saw the Steve and Cuttino show as we exited the first round.

I think we're a solid second round competitor, if we're healthy.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not arguing the Rockets aren't a better team, I'm arguing the Suns are probably experiencing one of the best positive turnarounds in NBA history. They're better than the Rockets and much better than they were last season. Its really a no-brainer.

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I would put Danny Ainge on this list. His reacquisition of Toine and getting back GP who he traded him for was brillant, essentially got a double/double guy for nothing. Boston also has some pretty good young players like Delonte West and Marcus Banks, I think they will be the surprise team in the East.