1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas signs back-up PG

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shot caller, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

This was on local sports radio. The player is from Miami, but I didn't catch who it was.

Anyone else hear this?
    Was it Eddie Jones?

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Anthony Carter??

I thought they signed him a few weeks ago.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Best as a Mav may work out well -- for opposition. He has talent, but they need to get the ball to their studs. Not Best's best talent.

Dallas is a chemical disaster waiting to implode. Boom.

4. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Whoops...

So whats the Mavericks' lineup look like now ?

5 - Raef Lafrentz - Shawn Bradley
    4 - Dirk Nowitski - Danny Fortson
    3 - Antawn Jamison - Eduardo Najera
    2 - Michael Finley - Jiri Welsch
    1 - Steve Nash - Travis Best

???

5. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

Someone just told me that it is Best. That will work as a backup. Hopefully Welch comes along quickly this season. He seems to have more "upside" than 31yo Best.

6. verse

verse Contributing Member

hmm. that's interesting, because

travis best = nick van exel lite

this may work out very well for them.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well, all of the guys at ESPN Radio up here are doing Snoopy dances right now. They and the fans feel that this makes their offseason a success. Best does plug their backup PG hole. The Mavs are banking that their offensive firepower will overcome their defensive liabilties and make them a match for SA, LA & SAC. In effect, they are rolling the dice in the hope that their big 3 will continue to improve and that improvement will be enough to get them over the hump.

8. SLA

SLA Member

Spurs signed Anthony Carter

9. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

It boggles my mind how Dallas can make soooo many moves and we make 2. Everyone is getting better significantly while we make subtle moves. I do like the 2 moves we made, but we still have not got a real NBA backup point guard. Makes you wonder?

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Its the difference between a win at all costs owner versus a win at what cost owner--Dallas is fortunate to have the former.

11. Ben Lusky

Ben Lusky Member

Mavs to get Best, isnt this getting a little ridiculous now??

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1600834

Come on, this is just getting sick. Isnt a backup pg something we have been looking for? Best can play with the best of them, no pun intended. He would be a hell of a back up. Does Dallas really need more talent? Every team in the west is stockpiling solid players while we gain the polish riffle man and Dallas's only starting scrub. This just makes me sick. Whats to look forward too? Gettin our asses stomped around the court by the majority of the west next season.

#11 Ben Lusky, Aug 22, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2003
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

they expected to get Mourning, too. Funny how Donnie says, "We're optimistic people around here." hehe

This hasn't happened, yet. They are offering only a one year deal? Surely the Rockets would not announce that they had a steak dinner with a backup PG. They'd just sign him.

that said, i'll be disappointed if Best signs for a one yr deal with the Mavs.

sigh

13. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

Is Dallas over the cap? I remember reading that they are going to stay under by a hair this year.

<b>HillBoy</b>
    I don't know how much of a gamble it is that the big 3 will improve. Fin is has peeked, Nash is 28 and probably at the top of his game for another 2-4 years, but Dirk was only 23-24 last year. He is the key.

Dallas' defense was better last year than they were given credit for.
    They were 16th in points allowed last season (up from bottom 5 the season before), that is above Sacramento and Minnesota.

They were first in points scored and that should only improve with the larger and juiced up starting lineup.

I love Houston, but Dallas is probably the best team in Texas next year.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/00002.html

#13 Shot caller, Aug 22, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2003
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

think again.

phoenix has done nothing, seattle has done nothing, portland has done nothing, utah has gotten significantly worse, and golden state has lost their best two players from last season.

these are the teams we are competing with for playoff spots and positioning. at worst we've improved just as much as any of them this offseason, but if you count jvg and a fresh approach you could argue we've done more.

teams who have improved:

lakers
    minnesota
    sac
    san antonio
    dallas

all guaranteed locks for the playoffs had they just stayed with last year's team. realistically these guys are not who we compete with for another year or two.

it's been quiet sure but i have no problem thus far with our offseason and seeing what jvg can do with this squad.

15. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

granted, hes a decent backup 1. can play with the best of them....is really going out on a limb....perhaps in a competition of backups....but even then griffin and pike are both decent-good backup 2s n 3s.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The mav's signed Travis Best? Oh, man. It's all over for us now. We're doomed. Hello 0-82. :rolleyes:

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You guys don't even know the half of it, not only did they miss out on Travis Best, but I heard that they brought journeyman PG Herbert Worst in to Westside for a private workout. Stupid Les!:mad:

18. cujo

cujo Member

We all know that junkpiling a bunch of good players does not always translate into a team being better....remember Portland? A team need the right balance of star players ,role players, and good chemistry to be successful. I really think the Rockets have the players, but just need to find the chemsitry. I think Van Gundy is the key this year to help this team come together. But heck, if we can get Best, I'll take that too.......:)

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well, the Mavs are a championship caliber team and have a window of opportunity right now and everyone, especially Mark Cuban, knows this. He'd be on the level of Donald Sterling if he were to fail to take advantage of this chance to win a title so he's going for it.

Uncle Les, on the other hand, knows that he does not have a championship caliber team and won't have one for several years. Hence, it would be foolish and downright counterproductive for him to throw away money on other team's castoffs simply for the sake of making a change. All that he'd end up doing is to add even more bad contracts on the books.

With JVG coming in with a new coaching philosophy, it's best to let him recraft the team to suit his style of play. Expect this process to take at least 3 years. I say 3 years because they need to get some bad contracts off the books and upgrade their talent base.

20. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Tell me how signing a very decent backup PG for $1 million for 1 year is adding a "bad contract on the books".

Dallas did not overpay. They added a backup PG they desperately needed without overpaying.

We on the other hand still have Moochie Norris.