1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas Cowboys 2011 Draft

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Francis3422, Apr 11, 2011.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I really wanted to take a moment and give my thoughts on the Cowboys upcoming draft. WHO CARES?!?!?!?!?!?!:p

1 person likes this.
  2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Those of us born and raised in East Texas with allegiance to both, unless they are playing each other.

3. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

This thread needs to be moved to the wasteland ASAP!

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Well, IMO this was a poor draft for Dallas. Smith may end up being a Pro Bowler for 10 years but he is only 20 and I don't buy that he is going to start and flourish at RT next year. We picked a inside linebacker with our second rounder (just like last year) and he is coming off of a majory injury although has potential. Again, not filling an immediate need. Third pick is a running back to sit in the stable with Felix Jones, Tashard Choice, Marion Barber (assuming he is done as a Cowboy).

No defensive line, no secondary, wow.

And yes, I think the Texans had a VERY solid draft.

1 person likes this.
  5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

No sh&t...no d-line or secondary help..wtf?

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Marion will not be paid his bonus money and will be released.

7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The Cowboys had a mediocre draft but could have done much better. For example:

1) Trade the #9 pick (Blaine Gabbert) to Jacksonville for an additional 2nd rounder #49 like the Redskins got. Why? Because they only other team looking for a tackle that early was New England and so Dallas could have gotten Tyron Smith one slot before the Patriots at #16. It's called adding value to a draft loaded with more defensive talent than offensive especially if you are going to draft the first tackle off the board.

2) Rahim Moore should have been the pick at #40 instead of Bruce Carter. The Cowboys secondary is atrocious and needs an anchor. Alan Ball won't cut it anymore at safety.

3) With that #49 pick from Jacksonville, draft Ben Ijalana. Another tackle would go a long way to securing Tony Romo's future. All the other contending teams with offensive line issues addressed them with multiple picks like Indy (Anthony Coztanzo and Ben Ijalana) and New England (Nate Solder and Marcus Cannon).

4) LB should have been a 3rd round selection where the pick should have been Martez Wilson at #71 instead of stockpiling more running backs like DeMarco Murray.

The rest of the rounds should have been a corner, backup QB maybe Stanzi, another safety and maybe a project RB to put on the shelf for a year. Anyway my 2 cents on the situation. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

There is a lot of talk about Jerry making a serious run and Asomugha(sp?). I guess this would put Newman, Scandrick or Jenkins to be FS. None of those guys are really great tacklers though, so that concerns me.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i don't see how they could afford asomugha. In 2011 their salary # was around $136.6 M.

10. dropshot001

dropshot001 Member

i'm not a fan of their second round pick, bruce carter. would have liked to see them go for a different line backer, especially with guys like bowers and wilson on the board

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

me neither, I wanted him here ....