1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas cops shot during protest in Dallas.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Jul 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yea, any sort of engineering degree is good in itself at an undergraduate level, well except the one I pursued (ironically). Biomedical engineering is extremely challenging and unique in itself, but you need a grad degree to go any further. I realized it wasn't for me early on and went towards something more concrete for grad school so in a way I probably wasted my time there--- as you don't need it for medicine.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I'm not a fan of belittlement when it comes to education--but there comes a certain point when you make the statements *ahem* certain posters on here make that you are just left shaking your head and wonder how they would benefit from a diverse enviornment of a campus and the knowledge of professors from many different fields.

I won't mention the poster by name, but he has gone to great lengths to criticize people who pursue a higher education as "PC"...something that is absolutely ridiculous.

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It's not the same for all STEM subjects. For example, three of my cousins are doctors and I have heard multiple times from them that there are plenty of people who major in general biology who they would classify as having received a participation degree.

It's less with something like engineering, but it's certainly not exempt from that rule. One of my degrees is in math and there are plenty of morons who I have seen with an undergrad math degree. One could argue that a degree in math is even more rigorous than engineering.

Overall, my point was just that I agree with lospolloshermanos.

I don't agree with many people who look down on those who have liberal arts degrees as many of them are incredibly bright. In fact I have met more than just a few who are easily more talented than many of the STEM colleagues I have.

#1243 DudeWah, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That person doesn't even understand that almost half of those with 'higher education' have nothing to do with a social discipline. I mean, I would like to find a way to spin a diffy q's class into a liberal indoctrination center.

5. fchowd0311

When it comes to STEM vs Liberal Arts I simply believe each discipline requires a different type of intelligence. Both require an exercise in logical thinking but through a different approach.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

At a lower level, I'd agree. In upper level undergrad and graduate school (I'm sure beyond that as well) I do not think that's fully the case.

Especially when it comes to math, computer science, statistics, and the like.

Basically I believe the T (parts of it) and M (all of it) parts of STEM are very closely related to the type of thinking required to excel in liberal arts subjects such as philosophy.

Anyway this is all a separate topic.

It is just odd to me when one person calls everyone else uneducated idiots. Especially when their own educational background is highly suspect. Quite a few posters in the D&D have a habit of calling everyone around idiots. It's very dumb.

7. Granville

Granville Member

Thank you

8. Granville

Granville Member

I have met better fathers than me and run across families where the Dad just took off. Dads want to talk about the thing their kids can do and not what they can't do. Water cooler talks of your kid mastering an IEP pales in comparison to your co-workers kid scoring touchdowns or receiving an academic award. Refocusing your priorities and life after an autism diagnosis is critical and difficult step to take. You have to surround yourself with peers who get it and let go of trying to make your child fit in to your life and try to fit in to their life. That's why I started my group.

No need to apologize. I know I need to work on my internet tone

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Honestly man if you have to ignore multiple posters in one thread then what is the point of coming to the D&D? You know there will be dissenting opinions.

Looks like all those people you ignored that Granville responded to realized that they are allowed to have differing opinions but still be civil on it all. I had a back and fourth with him as well but I don't ever remember throwing out "Idiot! Stupid!" and all sorts of insults. The furthest I will go is saying that the opinion itself is lacking logic, not that the person who has it is. We all have dumb opinions on a variety of things...

I know you won't see this since I'm on your new shiny ignore list though. I really don't get the point of ignoring people in this forum. This isn't a circle-jerk.

Lets be real here, look at page 56 and onward. Everything was on topic and no one was flinging around personal insults until you did.

1 person likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

That's because you're a dumbass.

(am I doing this right? ;))

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

Biomedical engineering is what I call " Jumbo ...>>>>...shrimp "
    Unless you work for GE. What's your specialty in medicine !

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yes, you win the D&D.

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

offff topic but in regard to autism , magnesium is much needed to improve their Glutathione. A combination of supplement + natural sources like pistachio+ Epsom salt bath helps a lot without side effects

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

offfff topic - there are all kinds of ideas out there. Good to see. Research is happening. Hopefully, some type of 'cause' is found.

You know, it might be very well end up, that autistic behaviors (or at least some 'ranges of it') isn't that abnormal. Perhaps instead of autistic folks needing to change and fit it, it's all of us needing to understand and allow them to be as they are.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If Obama was doing this - oh, the disrespect :). Glad Bush is enjoying life and is so free to expresses himself.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes, their protests are 'indiscriminate' toward acts they perceive as Police brutality and I also think that doesn't help their cause (not because I disagree with their perception but because the nation as a whole probably do for a number of those acts). Being more selective would help. But in no way that they are to be blamed for the sniper actions. They may be messy, have some violence within their protesters, rude and loud, but they are always clear that they do not advocate violence toward cops.

The media is 'more' blameworthy than the BLM movement by selectively choosing to highlight the worse of all sides. And I don't blame them either.

17. fchowd0311

It would also help if they shine some light on other aspects of racial profiling other than the shooting of unarmed individuals. There are plenty of other issues to tackle also.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

offff topic yet again: I can recommend last year's book on autism called Neurotribes. has ideas similar to what you've said here, but in great detail. Well written and researched.

19. Granville

Granville Member

I'd say that there are often chants that break out at their protests that do advocate violence. They need a workable plan to eliminate that kind of unacceptable behavior from their events. More advertising of their values and even event volunteers that approach folks doing this to ask the them to refrain from doing it.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Agree. They need to be smarter about it. It's hard to hear over raw emotions.