1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas cops shot during protest in Dallas.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Jul 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. what

what Member

For those that want to understand why blacklivesmatter exist and why this killer did what he did, imagine this:

The killer of all these cops, gets a trial and after all the evidence, the judge says, we don't have sufficient evidence to convict you, because I believe that you felt in danger and so I support your right to defend yourself.

That's basically what happens in all cases involving senseless slaying of black people. It ain't just that this gunman killed, but what happens to him after.

How would you feel if this gunman got off Scott-free after this? Then, and only then, will you approach an understanding of how protesters feel.

1 person likes this.
  2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

If I were him, I'd think it sucks, but when you are somebody that seems to exactly match the description of an active shooter, being a person of interest certainly seems a very reasonable outcome. Sounds like the police gave him a tough interrogation, fairly quickly decided he wasn't who they were looking for, and released him. Under the circumstances, it seems they handled it pretty well.

3. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

This was a hate crime, no difference between this or Dylan Roof.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

You're an idiot. Quit pretending blacks are the only ones shot by cops. Yes, cops are given the benefit of the doubt. Rightfully so. How often do cops get off for blatant murder? Stop acting like you would do better.

Let me reiterate ... you're an idiot. Quit posting.

1 person likes this.
  5. DCkid

DCkid Member

Can you cite an instance of a cop going around indiscriminately shooting blacks that got off Scott-free?

1 person likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

probably the most logical thing you've said ever.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Who are you talking about?

8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, I get this. Where I think whites and blacks have different perspectives on this is that whites haven't suffered all the persecution that blacks have. So, whites tend to evaluate these incidents independently, whereas blacks view it as part of a continuum. Can't say I wouldn't do the same in their shoes.

But I do think in cases where there are extenuating circumstances that lead to no criminal charges, or even a finding that the cop behaved according to procedure, are very different from those where the cop clearly acted outside the bounds. Yes, it is always sad when anyone gets killed, especially if they were unarmed, but that doesn't mean all such incidents are the same. There have been some where it is pretty clear that what happened wasn't justified at all, and everybody gets behind those. In the others, I think we run into the differing perspectives I mentioned above.

I do think most whites agree with the sentiments of Jon Stewart. One can think cops overall do a pretty good job (and I think really good improvements have been made on this in many cities, Dallas having been one of them), and still be aghast and upset at those who overreach, and be alarmed and saddened whenever someone is killed by cops, just as one can recognize that there are issues out there, yet still be alarmed and saddened when cops get ambushed and killed. They aren't mutually exclusive sentiments.

I think a lot of whites (most?) don't really get the black perspective on this...but I also think many blacks don't get the white perspective, either. As with all such situations, communication is the path to resolution. Talking past each other doesn't qualify.

1 person likes this.
  9. what

what Member

1. Timothy Loehmann and Frank Garmback
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ice-officers-shot-12-year-old-Tamir-Rice.html

2. A Bexar County grand jury decided Tuesday not to indict former University of Incarnate Word Police Department Cpl. Christopher Carter in the 2013 shooting death of student Cameron Redus.
    http://www.khou.com/news/local/texa...r-uiw-police-officer-in-redus-death/148708824

Are you serious man. I could cite more, but it is a waste of time.

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Police are raiding Micah Johnson's place right now. It's in Mesquite, TX which a suburb located just east of Dallas. He's lived there for years and the neighbors are stunned. He's the shooter that was killed early this morning.

#570 HillBoy, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

People who perpetuate the notion that this actually happens are a huge part of the problem. The idea that there is some kind of war between "cops" and black men is ridiculous.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not a war since one side has the huge power of the justice system behind it and the other stands alone.

13. ipaman

ipaman Member

BLM spawned out of thin air for no apparent reason..., give me a break. It started with terrible police behavior that has continued with almost no tangible changes in laws, accountability, etc... with no end in sight with this weeks two events. What these sniper folks did is completely wrong (like a terrorist) but they believe they have a just cause and they didn't make it up out of thin air. This isn't Sandy Creek with no apparent motive. These snipers were 100% effected by recent events. Have to fix the root cause to make any real progress.

14. ipaman

ipaman Member

you're purposely covering your eyes and ears but that doesn't actually prevent anything other than your knowledge and intelligence on the matter

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not a war because there's not a war despite the rhetoric that have convinced some people (like the shooter) that is the case. The dangerous rhetoric suggesting that cops are out to hurt black people is largely responsible for this attack.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Agreed. Sadly, something like this happening was inevitable. There are simply too many people out there with agendas, hatred and purely evil intentions with the desire to commit acts of violence who have easy access to weaponry that allows them to carry out said acts. It's a sad reality of the times.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like you are just brainwashed by that rhetoric, hopefully you won't hurt anyone as a result.

18. ipaman

ipaman Member

it's not rhetoric though, it's the countless deaths of real people at the hands of LEOs. you know real people with families too. it's not just cops who have families.

it's a shame you categorize some dead lives are rhetoric while others are a tragedy.

19. dback816

dback816 Member

This was a planned attack specifically targeting, or aims to target, white cops

You're going to tell me every wrongful death in the hands of the police were premeditated with race being the only motive?

20. ipaman

ipaman Member

yea he's not saying that but nice strawman attempt