1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dalembert reflects on aftermath of Haiti earthquake

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TriCkz, Jan 9, 2012.

1. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

As he describes the children who rob him because they have no choice, with Rockets teammates Jordan Hill and Hasheem Thabeet listening in stunned silence, Samuel Dalembert throws his head back and laughs.

It is not Haitian, he said, to cry. Besides, those boys don’t know he would give them anything.

As Dalembert tells of his first visit to Haiti in the days after the earthquake, there is pain in each word, anguish on his face. Even as he describes the work to be done, frustration fights with determination. Determination wins.

He will speak of all he has done and still plans to do. These are not dreams, though he has them, too. It is much more real than that. But in each telling, with every emotion so close to the surface in the days before Thursday’s second anniversary of the devastating earthquake, the sentiment that fills and drives Dalembert most is pride.

“It was a shocking experience for all of us,” said Dalembert, who was born in Port-au-Prince in 1981. “It was just … it was just — I don’t know the word to really put into it. It was really deep inside a shocking, a hurting experience for everybody. I lost family members. I had friends who lost their kids and family members and close friends. It’s … it’s … just thinking about it right now is just bringing a flashback. But we can overcome things.

“We’ve been there in the past. We had so many things happen to us in the past. We keep moving on. Go on with life.”

That day’s details come back to him, as if each image, every step along the way, takes him back to that moment and makes it fresh again, scar tissue he cannot allow to harden.

“I’m thinking something really happened to my grandmother or family members,” he said. “I just picked up the phone and kept calling. Nobody answered. I called everybody I knew back home. Nobody answered the phone.”

read more..
    http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...rt-reflects-on-aftermath-of-haiti-earthquake/

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sammy D seems to be a good guy. But he needs to start playing better in order to earn more money for Haitian children to rob.

1 person likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Carl....:grin:

You're the best.

1 person likes this.
  4. Salvy

Salvy Member

Repped

1 person likes this.
  5. valorita

valorita Member

sam's a nice guy but he's not the consumate professional that clyde describes.
    he's extremely out of shape and looks a little pudgy to be effective.

6. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

Sammy has become rich and forgot what it feels like to be a hungry player. I bet any of those kids who robbed him would have been playing their butt off on the court, because that would be their only escape from poverty

Maybe next time, he should go scouting and offer one of those kids a jersey and basketball instead of money. teach them how to fish instead of giving them fish

7. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I respect him as a person off the court, seems he has great pride and unfortunately pride can make you self-centered. Maybe this is why there have been reports about Dalembert with the locker room problems and all that.

What I cannot understand is a man who is so involved with a country where only a small percentage gets the chance to do what he does, cannot stay in basketball shape and work as hard as you can. Not only for your team but also so you can stay in the game for as long as possible in order to get more money which you can invest in your family and people in Haiti.

The only game where he was really aggressive was against Orlando where he had something to prove. After only a few games unfortunately he has slacked off and seems like people in here were right he was known for inconsistent play.

I hope he can turn it around because I always love guys who care about the world as much as Deke. Guys who do not do it for the spotlights, the NBA (cares program) but instead do it for themselves, the people and have their own foundation.

However, if he keeps this up he's not staying beyond this year and becomes nice trade fodder.