1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dalembert-finds comfort level with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Dec 22, 2011.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Haha, good point

Stupid shortened season messing with my mind.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is exactly what I think. We have enough talent to pull it off (go deep into WC semis). We should focus on becoming the Grizz. We are not far behind. (Have Thabeet a former Grizz, Lowry)

With the downfall of the older teams ...... Once Nowitzki, Bryant, Duncan the class of 98,99 fall the new generation will rule

We have to make trades, sign free agents, make trades

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, the Rockets probably do NOT want to follow the Grizzlies model. The Grizzlies are now locked into HUGE deals for Zach Randolph, Rudy Gay and Marc Gasol. All good players. None of them real stars. The Griz should be a good team for several years, but never a legit title contender.

The Rockets have the benefit of being able to be "the Grizzlies" THIS YEAR, while still maintaining the salary cap flexibility to rebuild after this season if necessary.

Agreed, though, that the Rockets will try to get a star via trade (most likely) before they could expect to get one in the draft.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This signing makes me think Morey still has a plan to flip some players and get an all star back in order to take advantage of all the disarray and injuries in the league and make a title run.

That's the only reason you give 7 million to a guy that will take you from being the 8th best team in the west to the 6th best team at best.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While I think that's still Morey's plan, the Dalembert signing is not insignificant.

First off, you're basically getting Dalembert on a BETTER deal than the Warriors gave to Kwame Brown (one year, $7M for Brown). Dalembert is a better player than Brown, and I don't even have a problem with the contract that Brown got.

I'll explain more about why I like Dalembert's contract in a blog entry coming soon to the site.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Even though I'm a tanker, I've decided to go ahead and be content with Morey's plan and root for the playoffs and as much success as possible this season. Even if the team would be better served by blowing it all up, its obvious they won't be doing that. It'll probably be a lot more enjoyable to root for wins than to lament them. So, I'll be happy for the Dalembert signing and hope for the playoffs. I'll even root for T-Will to make me take back all the mean things I said about him.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I understand from the fiscal point of view. I meant from a sports point of view we should built a team around borderline all stars.
    That is where we hope that one or two very good player makes it to all star level

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

A number #10 2012 pick >> 2013 #15+ pick. And if you really tank right ("injuries" hit your team in the last 15 games) a top 5-7 pick in this short season should be very achievable.

How many times will someone trade away an all-star that isn't in decline? And the way the NBA is now, the all-star player that is traded "chooses" where to go. When was the last time Houston was on thier list? McGrady and that was because of Yao (our #1 pick). Yao was a nice drawing card because of his play and link to China but we don't have that now. We have Scola, Martin, Lowry, Bud, Sammy. Not. Gonna. Happen.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

You forgot that every other team in the league is dying to make a lopsided deal in the Rockets' favor for inexplicable reasons.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This is FAR from a certainty.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Or perhaps this is a deep draft? The deeper the talent pool, the less valuable the top picks as well as more contention with regards to the rank of talents. If a draft is 3 deep then no one will trade a top 3 pick. But if the draft has talent scattered everywhere a team can easily decide to trade out of high lottery because they'd be happy with any number of players.

I'm not saying the Rockets can easily get a top 5 pick or something. But if the upcoming draft is all that it's cracked up to be, a few mediocre picks may well be enough to get a player with star talent. Much easier than in most years.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good point.... now define how deep that draft will be ;)

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Duplicate post

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Trading multiple first round picks for the 7th pick worked so well the last time the Rockets did it. RIP Eddie :(

There are no garuntees in the draft and usually only 1 or maybe two franchise changing players in the draft. There are a number of players that may have all star potential but Andre Drummond is the only one I see with Kobe, Duncan, Lebron type of potential.

There are no garuntees in the draft even with high picks

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No obligatory Ipad?

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...center-Dalembert-to-two-year-deal-2418538.php

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/995239-nba-free-agency-report-card-grades-for-every-team/page/11

16. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is where I am. I hoped the team would blow it up (which is necessary if this team is going to lose games) and ride with the young guns. There are no promises in the draft, but in this one, I trust Morey to make a good choice and McHale to develop that player.

If Les insists that the team shoot for the playoffs, then I am rooting for that result. Hopefully, Williams, Patterson, and Morris (and DMo) will develop into the kind of players the team will need to go deep and not just be first round fodder.

17. Rockets_Texans

i feel dalembert is gunna ROCK this season

18. Rockets_Texans

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Would you trade a 2012 #10 pick for a 2013 #15 pick? I dare you to find a GM that would.

And lets name some stars that have headed to Houston...
    TMac - Had Yao (our #1 pick)
    Francis - Came for the warm weather but really didn't get us much except TMac.
    Scotty - Had to find a new Batman in Hakeem (our #1 pick)
    Barkley - Came for a ring w/Hakeem (our #1 pick) & Clyde. Unfortunately the Barkley trade gutted our team too much to win a 3rd.
    Drexler - Came pre-I_want_to_go_to_x but was happy since it was home and Hakeem (our #1 pick) was already here

So other than Francis, the only stars that have wanted to come here chose to because we already had a superstar - not a #26 pick who turned out to have good O but 0 D. And after we gut the team for our Gasol-type player and surround him with 09ers, 2nd rounders and the best of the D leaguers, do you really think the superstars will put Houston at the top of their list? And by the time you build it back up, the Gasol-type retires because you didn't get the 23 year old, you got the 31 year old.

I don't understand the crowd (or Les) that thinks we are getting a championship without a superstar and how we are going to get that superstar in some way other than through the draft.

20. ling ling

ling ling Member

I'd bet you can find 28 GM's that would trade a '12 #15 pick for a '13 #10 pick.