1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Daily Herald] Paxson Wants to Add to Frontcourt

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by forchette49, Jul 27, 2006.

1. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bulls.asp?id=211320

Q. Outside of signing Adrian Griffin, are any other personnel moves planned?

A. We’ll probably just take a deep breath. Obviously, the thing we’re going to keep our eyes and ears open for is the ability to find another big if possible. Maybe something comes down the pike that we can take a look at.

Thought this tidbit might be relevant to all those in favor of trading JH for something this offseason, maybe in part of a 3-way, who knows...

#1 forchette49, Jul 27, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

When Paxson says, "A big," I don't know if he meant a "Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man Masquerading as a 4, Even if he is from Chicago", but I'd be glad to send them J-Ho.

I'm sure Chicago would love Magloire, but Milwaukee wouldn't love to send him to them, given that they've both been bottom-feeders in the EC playoff chase.

3. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

If Paxson trades for Mags then I'll become a Knicks fan.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If you read the context, he wants another center. Assuming PJ Brown only plays this year, Big Ben will have no back up. (Although they've got the Knicks pick and some kid named Oden is getting a lot of hype.) Howard's not what they're looking for.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think they're going after Drew Gooden.

6. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

I always thought that Howard would fit in well with Chicago, I mean Malik Allen played well with Chicago and Howards game is exactly the same but better at rebounding and hitting those mid-ranger, he even burned the Bulls for 30 points or somethin right?

7. KellyDwyer

Yikes. Not even close.

For one, Allen's release is twice as quick as Howard's, and he can shoot out to 20-feet. Allen took 76 percent of his shots from the perimeter last year, and had an eFG of 50%. Juwan took 68 percent of his from outside, had twice as many of his attempts blocked from the perimeter, and had an eFG of 43.

Going into 2005-06, I kept saying that the most underrated crisis awaiting Paxson would be replacing the type of players that Antonio Davis (defense) and Othella Harrington (offense) were for Chicago in 2004-05. Laugh all you want, but Othella won his fair share of games for the 47-win Bulls team in 04-05. When age hit AD and Othella hard last year, the Bulls relented. Sweetney and Allen had their moments, but it wasn't enough, and Darius Songailia (who we dug) was an absolute sieve on D. Brown will provide what Davis brought, now, but they still need someone they can dump it into. Even a hotshot FA like Gooden can't be trusted in the low post. It's up to Sweetney to find the form that served him well during his first two seasons with the Knicks.

8. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I agree...

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I didn't think the Bulls were that thin at PF until I saw their roster. I also noticed that most of their players are in the last year(s) of their contracts. They are going to have to pony up to the table to keep them.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I really wish more people could fully comprehend that Juwan Howard has absolutely no trade value whatsoever, unless you want to consider negative trade value. We'd like have to include a draft pick for an under the cap team to trade for him in exchange for a trade exception. No one in their right mind would give up a useful young player for Howard and his contract. Best possible scenario is something along the lines of Mo T for Moochie and Vin Baker.

Evan

11. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I think it's Gooden, too or even Evans. However, I don't think Juwan would be all that bad for them. Tyrus and Ben are very good offensive rebounders, Juwan would be their only and most reliable back-to-the-basket option. Some post up scoring would be of good use.

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Thankyou. I literally cringe when someone provides rationale for a team to trade for Juwon in "needing a big man, low post scoring, or rebounding." If a team is looking for one of those things, they're not going to trade for Juwon. He offers none of them.

13. Rockets Dynasty

When people start impliying that Allen is better than Howard, the hate has gone beyond resson.

14. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

Amen. The Howard hatred is out of control. Despite the numbers quoted, Malik Allen has accomplished nothing close to what JHo has done in his career. I, for one, think Chicago is one of the few teams that would value JHo - particularly for his low post scoring ability because no one in their line-up outside of Sweetney has a semblance of a low post game. I know it ain't pretty but JHo's little hook shot can be effective. But what can we realistically get from Chicago since we'd have to take back some salary. There would need to be a third team, I think.

15. KellyDwyer

The poster claimed that Howard was a better fit for the Bulls than Allen because of his ability to hit the open jumper, which is/was false. Allen's role last year was to set screens and spread the floor, and he did it pretty well. It's about the only thing he did well, but the Bulls needed that skill -- it's why he started the majority of the games for the team down the stretch.

Nobody is saying that Malik Allen was a better player last year (though they were pretty close) than Juwan Howard, or that he's accomplished more than Howard in his career. Who on this thread has said that?

If JHo's little hook is so awesome, then why are you trying to trade him? If the hatred is out of control, then why don't you want to hang on to this All-Star?