1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daddy Manning Doesnt Want Little Eli To Play For Chargers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

"Those guys ****ed up their careers by playing for a ****ty team that won't support them, well heck, I guess I have to too" - doesn't that sound, I don't know, pretty silly?

Maybe he's got a brain in that noggin of his, and doesn't want to end up like the last two QBs San Diego drafted. Ruined and Replaced before his rookie deal runs out.

2. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

You took the words right out of my mouth.

3. JeffB

JeffB Member

Supposedly, Charlie Casserly said on 610AM that the Chargers weren't going to draft Eli anyway and the the Chargers GM is just using the Archie thing to the Chargers' advantage. There was an awful lot of pressure on the Chargers to not "Vick" this pick and go with Eli. I can see both the Mannings and the Chargers having ulterior motives here.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What's the point of the draft?

5. drapg

drapg Member

Did anyone else hear Mort on "PTI" state that he wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers used the FIRST overall pick on Philip Rivers????

Amazing! :eek:

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

Or maybe, some of these franchises will be forced to turn things around and change their typical practices(like the Bengals appear to be doing) - or lose out on the best talent. Have two or three franchises whose sole purpose is to lurk at the top of the draft and destroy talent is not good for the NFL.

The Chargers sowed this crop with their past behaviour, now they reap the benifits.

7. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

It's an attempt to level talent in the league by allowing the teams with the worst records to have the best shot at the top players coming out of college.

If this starts a whole rash of players who don't want to play for typically ****ty franchises by refusing to negotiate their contracts even if drafted(gosh, it's almost like that's something their allowed to do or something) - then either those franchises will have to get better, or become so bad that the owner will lose so much money, he'll be forced to sell - and thent he team will have to get better.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And not being able to draft the best player out of fear that they'll holdout all season helps them how?

9. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

It doesn't help them any less than drafting Eli and getting him killed in his first years, and then having to start over again in a few years.

And, it'd force them to take a long, hard look at their drafting habits - and force them to get better. It's not like Eli is making this decision in a vacuum - San Diego dug this hole for themselves(that's two metaphors so far, over/under? 5).

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think you're giving this situation too much credit. It'll teach them not to even bother with spoiled kids with interfering Daddies.

Not to mention that just because a franchise has been run a certain way doesn't mean it's always going to be that way. You're not clairvoyent are you?

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

This is my take on it as well.

I really think any qb that ends up in SD is going to struggle big time next year, I can see why Eli wouldn't want to go there if he could help it. But really it's all just posturing. I highly doubt he'd pass up the $$$ and sit out a year just to avoid SD.

I know people are dogging zona in this thread, but even there would be much more ideal for Eli than SD imo. A pass happy coach who is good with qbs, a pretty good oline, a good rb waiting to break out in Shipp, and a great young wr in Boldin.

12. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

No, but if I had a multi-million dollar career on the line, I'm not taking unneccessary chances. Especially if on top of that, the team is notoriously cheap in signing draft picks.

13. Summer Song Giver

There's alot of negativity towards the Chargers first for the Leaf debacle but noone saw that coming and the pick was either Manning or Leaf whoever fell to number two and any team in the league would have done the same. Number two Vick vs. Tomlinson, while Vick may have an electricity that Tomlinson does not have that trade is still up in the air IMO, we will have to wait a few more years to see if Vick can be a healthy QB in this league with his wreckless style or if he can make the transition to a more pocket style QB and still have the same effects on the game. With Tomlinson you've got the number one or two back in the league, a true workhorse back who will carry that team to some victories. The jury's still out on that move and it could very well go the chargers way.

As for the thread title, aside from thinking WTF does Danny Manning care whe Eli ends up, I find it extremely funny that this went public despite Senior's wishes, I saw Eli on some sports show and he was pretty much forced to stand up and say that it was his wish not to play in SD and I think he should, if you're going to play hardball like that at least be a man and don't pull some closed door let your daddy do the deed trick.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

BTW, when has this ever worked? When has a player refused to play for a team because they sucked, and the team said to themselves, "damn, if only we weren't greedy owners, player X would've played for us if we drafted him?".

If Eli doesn't like how the NFL works, go use your degree.

15. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

well, the Bengals sucked for a decade or so, and couldn't get any free agents because of their ways(giving Siragusa a coach ticket when they were wooing him) - they appear to be changing their ways.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We're talking the draft, not free agents.

17. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

The principle remains the same - top level talent shunning a team until they were forced to change.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No it's not. When has a draft pick refusing to play for a team ever resulted in that team changing their ways?

19. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

How many draft picks have refused to play for their team? It's been an insignificant amount. If more players did it the effect would be the same.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Then you have no idea if Eli not playing for the Chargers will make them change their ways. He doesn't want to play for them because they're not good, plain and simple. He doesn't, or shouldn't, have that choice. Nearly every other player goes by the rules, what makes him so special that he and his Daddy feel Eli shouldn't have to?