1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daddy Manning Doesnt Want Little Eli To Play For Chargers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Miguel

Miguel Member

Yeah, haha.

I also have...

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Member

See I think Steve Francis was better for the simple fact that at least he had to balls to be the person to say it.

What makes me mad about Eli is that his dad is the one doing all this. If he was a real man, he'd stand up and say how HE feels not just what his dad wants. I think you'd want more leadership out of a #1 Quaterback. Good riddance to him.

3. Miguel

Miguel Member

That's just cause we're Rockets fans. I have the same thoughts, but I know it's all a lie in my own little Houston biased mind. :D

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Gee, Miguel, that 2nd pic you posted is the most lifelife mask I have ever seen!:p :D

5. JeffB

JeffB Member

Archie didn't make this public. He wanted it quiet so the Chargers don't look bad and don't lose too much value in a trade. It was the Chargers GM who took the story public. The Chargers win out by publicizing this if they weren't going to draft Eli anyway. After how Archie suffered almost his entire career with the Saints, who can blame him from trying to protect his son from a similar fate by pulling an Elway?

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

Archie just said on Sportscenter that the best case scenario for Eli on Saturday would be for the Chargers to not pick him. Chris Mortenson is reporting that the Chargers will not trade the pick to the Giants and will pick Eli. He also says that Eli might not go to the podium and is prepared to sit out the season. Things are going to be very interesting.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I expect the media to give Eli a free pass, too. Unlike Francis.

8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Member

Sorry Archie didn't make this public because he didnt want himself and his son to look bad not the Chargers.

9. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

Archie is looking out for the best interests of his kid as both a father, and a supremely talented quarterback whose career was cut short by being on a crappy franchise that never surrounded him with talent and let him get killed behind a ****ty offensive line. Why should Archie sit by and let his son do something he know will end up bad because of past experience. So he told the Chargers privately that Eli would not be playing for them, the Chargers made it public - to try and force smear Eli enough that he would reconsider, or to give themselves an out for taking Gallery or Fitzgerald.

Four reasons this makes sense :
    1) Archie's been down this path, no sense in letting his kid take the same crap he had to deal with if things could turn out better.
    2) The Chargers are the cheapest non-Bengal team in football. He'd probably have to hold out just to get No. 1 money - and that does no one any good.
    3) The Chargers have LT on offense and . . . . LT will give him some protection, but with no line, and no recievers - Eli is going to get blitzed all-day, every day on passing downs.
    4) Ryan Leaf. Drew Brees. The Chargers aren't exactly batting 1.000 when it comes to developing quarterbacks, and surrounding them with the proper supporting cast.

The only way this turns out bad for Eli is if he ends up on the Cardinals. Raiders and Giants are both infinetly preferable to the Chargers.

10. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

Puedlfor, I see where you're coming from, but Eli is not a free agent, he shouldn't have a say in who he plays for. That's the thing about the draft, a team wants you so they draft you, it doesn't work the other way. I thought the same thing when Francis pulled this after being drafted by the Grizzlies. I really like what Charles Barkley had to say, "I hope the Chargers draft him and make hm sit out a year." Of course, I doubt the Chargers will do it, but that's what should happen to him. Make him lose a ton of money this year, and then he'll fall in next year's draft just like JD Drew a couple of years ago.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Tough ****. He should've come out last year if he didn't want to play for the Chargers.

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Why doesn't San Diego just take someone else with the first pick?

13. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

Eli's not doing anything other than exercising his rights under the draft process - there's nothing in the rules that requires you to sign with the team that drafts you if you're willing to wait a year to be drafted again by a more preferable team.

14. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

Gosh, then he could've played for the Bengals. He actually wants to have a decent career, I don't see anything wrong with that.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Then all players should do it. You think Carson Palmer was excited about playing for the Bengals? How about Fitzgerald playing for the Cardinals? How about LT playing for the Chargers?

So on and so forth.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

So, it is a done deal that Larry Fitzgerald is going to be a Cardinal?

I have mixed emotions about this - I really can't say anything bad about this because my all-time favorite NFL player, John Elway, did the same exact thing.

However, it does bug me that Archie Manning wanted to keep this quiet to protect the "good name" of the Manning family.:rolleyes:

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No, I was just pointing out a hypothetical. I haven't heard him whining about the possibility.

18. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

I agree, they should. But Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald probably didn't have the experience of a father who went through what you're about to go through to draw on.

Yeah, Carson should've talked to Akili Smith, or Ki-Jana Carter - and Larry should talk to Simeon Rice, Andre Wadsworth, Thomas Jones, et al - the list runs on and on for the Cardinals.

If a player has the talent to have a long, succesful career in the NFL - why risk it by going to play for a team that will probably screw you up? Why not refuse to talk to them, and steer yourself to the team that would give you the best chance for success.

If you had the talent to be a top-5 NFL pick and franchise player - would you put it all on the line by going to the Cardinals or the Chargers?

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Because that's how it's done. There have been dozens before them and there will be dozens after him. What makes Eli Manning so special that he doesn't have to play for a crappy team?

Oh well, gives me two more people to root against next year, unless he shows some balls and plays for them.

And yes, I know this is hypocritical since I'm a huge Francis fan.

20. drapg

drapg Member

If Manning gets his way... then what is the point of even HAVING a draft in professional sports?

Why not just let everyone be a free agent and let them sign with whatever team they please to?

Oh, that's right... because no one will sign with the teams that need talent the MOST... the losing franchises.

Sorry, but the Manning family is so clearly in the wrong (in my opinion) that this matter is not even debatable (again, in my opinion)