1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daddy Gave Me A Name

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Nov 26, 2007.

1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I know it's lyrics from a cheesy Everclear song...but it is fitting for my purpose. My father passed away today from a relatively short-term struggle with cancer. He contracted skin cancer about a year and a half ago and has been undergoing a series of different struggles to overcome his affliction. Unfortunately, today was his designated day to leave us.

My father was a good man...good enough in my eyes to not warrant the painful manner in which he slowly slid downhill. But I did learn something from his ordeal...a dignified way to approach death. My son's second birthday was yesterday and my sister's birthday is tomorrow...so we all were guessing that he purposely chose this day so as not to interfere with anyone else's special day. It brings a little chuckle on such a difficult day. My father graduated from Texas A&M...and I can also only think that he was waiting for a positive result from Friday's A&M/UT football game.

Fortunately for my parents, all three of their children were around. My parents moved from Texas to Las Vegas in 1997. My sister moved from Spring to Vegas in 2005. My wife and I were the lone holdouts until 2006 when I lucked into a great job and was able to make my way to Vegas also. In hindsight, everything had it's purpose. My wife recently lost her brother to brain cancer (27 yo/Los Angeles) and with my father passing, I truly believe that these were the reasons why we left Texas.

I'm not going to ramble on and create a complete biography of my family...I'd just like to digitally leave a few words about my dad. I'll definitely miss him...I think my kids will miss him more. He told my mom that the only reason he wanted to try to fight his cancer (after they thought it had been removed but it returned more aggressively) was because he wanted to see his grandkids grow up. He liked the Rockets. My first Rockets game was with my dad...it was sometime in the mid 80's (I'm pretty sure I still have the ticket stubs stuffed away somewhere)...I remember it like it was yesterday. Bobby Jo Reid nailed a half court shot going into halftime, except it was after the buzzer had gone off...still a great shot...and Bill Fitch showed up on the bench wearing a gorilla Halloween mask. It's a great memory that I'll keep with me. My dad liked fishing. My dad liked Bluegrass music and enjoyed throwing down on his banjo. My dad really liked Yosemite.

So...if you take anything from this, I hope that you might realize that your parents are not around forever...take some time and tell them that you appreciate the efforts that they put forth for you (assuming they actually did...otherwise, ignore this :)) and that you love them. I don't think they ever get tired of hearing that. I know I love it when my kids tell me that.

Thanks for letting me utilize this forum for personally honoring my father. I'm not looking for any posts or comments regarding this (although if you feel so inclined, have at it). For those of you who dole out good thoughts, prayers and karma in general, please send one my direction for my family. It's a sad day, but it's also a happy day. My father has moved past a painful and low period and began anew. Like the "Closing Time" lyrics state... "every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end".

I love you dad...we'll meet again one day.

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

my condolences.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Good LORD, I honestly think in my 5 years on this forum, this is the first time I've ever seriously choked up while reading a post or a thread.

So sorry for your loss, boomboom.

I emailed my Dad this morning, since we weren't able to get together over the holiday. But after reading this, I think I'll call him tonight and invite him to lunch on Sunday.

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

God...I know this is just a forum and I don't know you personally, but that was a wonderful post and I admire how you seem to be handling this. I'm praying for you and your family. Thank you so much for sharing.

5. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

I just finished reading that thread about somebody was gong to be a dad in 2 weeks. Now i'm on this email. Life is like a box of chocolates indeeed, but everybody gets a taste of all sorrow and joy.

6. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

Very touching. Thanks for sharing. Peace be with you and your family. And you quoted one of my favorite lyrics of all time:

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."

7. professorjay

professorjay Member

Good post. It made me relive sitting bed side holding my father's hand when he passed away a few years ago (also from cancer). My condolences.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

Thank you for sharing a bit of wisdom and love with us. I'm sending out those good thoughts for your family.

9. leroy

leroy Member

Very sorry to hear about your loss, but at the same time, glad that he isn't suffering any longer. I'm not sure who's it is, but there is a plan. Things happen for a reason...sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes both.

10. cwebbster

cwebbster Member

Man, I just broke into tears at work.....sorry to hear this buddy.....everything will be ok! He is smiling down on ya....I am sure!

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

incredibly touching.

chin up, he'd want it that way. :)

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

nice post. glad you're able to take things in stride the way most wish they could

13. MadMax

MadMax Member

What an awesome post. I'm sure he loved you immensely. So sorry to hear about your loss...but so happy you knew what it was to be loved by your father.

14. bladeage

bladeage Member

Simply amazing. My condolences :)

15. K mf G

K mf G Member

thanks for sharing

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Very touching tribute. Reminds me of what Kam posted when he lost his father, very moving.

May God give you and your family peace.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

RIP +

Nicely said !

DD

18. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Member

RIP

I'm sorry for your loss. He's not suffering anymore, and that's a big thing.

19. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

boomboom,
    I'm so sorry for your loss...Those memories will be with you forever though.
    He'll always be by your side....Your Father will be reflected in the way you conduct your life.People WILL know what kind of man he was and he will in turn impact the lives of your family and all those that you touch.
    In time the pain will turn to wistfull sadness and those memories will bring a big smile.Hang in there.You sound like your doing good now.Just try not to swim against the current.Follow that river knowing that there will be tributaries along the way.Lean on your friends and family but also take that time you need for yourself.This to shall pass...and like you said....eventually you guys will be kicking it together again.

....and remember boomboom,you have plenty of living to do.....Make sure you do it.

You and your family are in my prayers.....

#19 Plowman, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  20. IROC it

IROC it Member

Boomboom, sorry for your loss... Very happy for you and the life your father had with you.

Nothing can be more special than knowing your parents love you.

Your post reminded me of my grandfather (also died from cancer) who waited to find out that my cousin was born healthy to pass on... in the same weekend he had held me, born two weeks before, and his beloved Dolphins won it all in the Superbowl to go 17-0.

When I lost my mom to cancer in '94, I knew from her life that it was her dad's caring that she had passed through herself to me. And his love of sports! Mom and I sat in the living room every Sunday and cheered on the Oilers.

Thanks for an awesome post.

#20 IROC it, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2007