1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D-MO future all star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Specnaz, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

best post in thread

2. shawn786

shawn786 Member

He will have a hard time going through ALOT of other good PF's to land that All Star spot here in the west.

3. OpenLayup-Why3?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Contract extension talks up to 10/31 deadline are going to be really interesting for Year 4 guys like MKG, H. Barnes, HOU's PFs, Henson, etc</p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/626056016610914309">July 28, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. onreego

onreego Member

I mentioned this in another post but the only way this happens is if he has a quicker and higher release like LMA and Dirk have. Right now, DMo's release is slow and low for a 7 footer.

Aldridge:
    [​IMG]

DMo:
    [​IMG]

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Is he a max guy?

How much should we offer?

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No, he isn't. If he has a very good season, I would offer him 4 years, 44 M maximum.

7. OpenLayup-Why3?

He will get that even if he misses entire upcoming season. 11 per year is the worst case scenario for DMO.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He'll get pretty close to the max, if not the max.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Remember everybody, Thad Young who's about to be in his 9th season, that averaged 14 and 5 on the Twolves/Nets last year, got 12 mill per.

Dmo and Jones are arguably at his level, if not even better (while being younger with more potential). They are also restricted, and there will be so many teams with cap space and so few impact players, you can bet someone is going to be willing to overpay to put the pressure on us to not match.

Unless either take a big step back, I expect both to get a minimum of 10 mill per. And if either make a noticeable improvement, I can see a max being thrown out.

10. Normalus

Normalus Member

I don't think he would accept any contract extension except max one. Because Rockets won't offer him much because of back injurie, and he won't accept because it's pay raise after upcoming season.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And this, IMO is why if Harrell proves to be even halfway competent enough to be a backup PF, you look to flip Jones. There's basically no chance you have him after this season because you aren't going to pay a backup PF that kind of money when you already have 3 star to superstar caliber players and will need to pay a 4th player max or near max money.

It could also be why they might look to bring in another PF for the vet minimum to make that even easier.

12. Mr. Clutch

Pay Jones what kind of money? We need to pay a 4th guy Max money?

Dekker has good size and athleticism as well. Maybe use him as a stretch 4 at times, something Parsons could never do

13. Mr. Clutch

Not sure he's worth that much, but OK. Morey likes value for his contracts, usually offering the max to guys who are worth more than the max.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The suggestion is that Jones will command north of 10 mil a year, I don't think he's worth that much, but maybe some team will. Either way, there's not a chance the Rockets pay that much for a backup PF.

As to the 4th guy, DMo will command nearly a max deal if not a max deal next season and I don't think Morey will let a rare talent like that walk.

I'm high on Dekker as well, and he'd also help make the backup 4 less of a priority if he does well.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I like DMo a lot. But people throw out the term "All Star" a bit too cavalierly for my taste.

Take a look at the Western Conference forwards and Dmo is going to be 1 of the top 4? I say no chance. And that is NOT a knock on Dmo, but rather more the reality of the tough landscape of the West and how difficult it is to get on the All Star team.

Offensively DMo has come a long way, but I want to see the same improvement defensively. Both in man coverage and in better rebounding.

The Rockets need DMo to be able to play some modicum of man on man defense against PFs like Griffin, Randolph, Aldridge etc.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Enes Kanter got a MAX offer this offseason. And next off season there will be like 12 teams that can offer 20+M in salary. There is a salary floor. They are going to need to spend. Understand the market.

If DMo shows no ill-effects of his back injury, puts up similar numbers this year, then he will get PAID.

Again, Enes Kanter got MAX.

17. Mr. Clutch

Wouldn't pay Jones that much either. Don't think DMo will get the max from the Rockets. Usually max guys have done more than average 12 and 6 in 28 mpg, but I could see Cuban bidding on him.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Enes is a center, a much higher paid position.

19. Mr. Clutch

Good point on the salary floor, but Kanter averaged 15.5 and 9 in 28 mpg and is 22 years old.

Also, the Rockets don't typically overpay for guys like that. So someone might offer it, but maybe not the Rockets.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Enes Kanter just got the max and he has averaged 10 and 6 for his career....

Also, Morey has proven that he pays more attention to skill set than numbers multiple times in the past. People thought he was overpaying Asik who was averaging 3 and 4 for his career....

James Harden was averaging less than 13 points per game before he came to Houston and became a starter.

Looking solely at raw numbers none of those moves made any sense. It's a good thing Morey looks at more than raw numbers though.