1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D Howard is Dirty

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by spookyoldtree, May 26, 2010.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Those are called, b**** get off me! Maybe if yao did that more often, he wouldn't be in these :p

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N72xclXlg8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N72xclXlg8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

LOL @ the OP. Now that comedy! :grin:

I'm soooo loving this Magic resurgence.

Needless to say, I'm rooting them on to make history. Insane to win 4 in a row though after being down 3-0.

3. Arvid

Arvid Member

End of case. The videos say it all. Good find, Dave!

4. deepblue

deepblue Member

Don't forget the extra shots he delivers after a foul is called, like the two times he came down on Pierce and Rondo after someone else had fouled them in game 5.

5. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Nice find on the videos. End of argument.

@Leebigez: this is not about Yao. Get over it.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Dwight has matured a lot this year. You don't see him arguing calls anymore, or retaliating at being clawed and scratched on. He's had a much cooler attitude towards the game even in this postseason when tensions are high.

Just from this series compilation:
    #1, Paul Pierce - Dwight came down with his arms to prevent Pierce from getting the And1. Pierce leaned into Dwight to try to get the call, as any offensive player does to create contact, and he went under Dwight. Dwight did seem to pull down, too, so I can see it as flagrant. To top it off, Pierce also traveled. After his jump stop, he pivoted his left foot which is a travel. Should've been going the other way.

#2, Kevin Garnett - Two guys jockeying for position around the rim. This type of contact is so common around the rim. They were pushing and shoving, Dwight got shoved to the left so he tried to balance his momentum with his off arm which happened to be around KG's face. Incidental contact.

#3, Kevin Garnett - Dwight holds the ball high after securing the rebound, turns his body to find his PG. Any center is told to hold the ball high after securing a rebound. KG was in the wrong place at the wrong time. More incidental contact.

#4, Kendrick Perkins - Perkins' body undercuts Dwight, you can see it with the right elbow when Dwight's body starts to angle. His hands went for the block and their arms got tangled. A case of big guy with momentum running into another big guy and arms getting tangled. Nothing dirty here.

#5, Paul Pierce - Pierce runs into 3 defenders. Dwight's arms get inside Pierce's, causing Pierce to bend backwards. Then Dwight comes down and bends Pierce awkwardly and he hits the floor. Nothing intentional, not dirty.

#6, Glen Davis - nothing to discuss here. Not Dwight's fault at all.

So out of the 6 supposedly dirty plays in this series, all but one are incidental contact. Only once did Dwight go to somebody's face (I would want to punch Pierce in the face too because he's so ugly) or use excessive force. Maybe you disagree, but this is what I saw and what the referees saw (although #3 got upgraded to a flagrant 1 which I think is BS).

7. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

Mexican?

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

The video, the Dalembert one was dirty.
    Pau Gasol one tangled up I guess you can say slightly dirty.

On the Boston one most of those were playoff fouls. Only one close to being dirty is the elbows to KG.

9. intergalactic

Let me guess you are a Magic fan.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Fair enough but you sound like you're just making excuses now.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Agreed except I think the elbow to KG's head was definitely on purpose (and the league agreed) and was done for no reason other than to hurt the guy. He rebounded the ball, looked squarely at Jameer Nelson (the PG he would usually pass it to ASAP) and then pivoted back the OTHER way with his elbow pointed at KG's head.

A lot of these incidents considered as individual plays could be considered "tough" or "playoff basketball" or "incidental contact" but when you have two flagrants and a ton of other tough fouls in five games of a series to go along with countless other examples throughout his career of what could be considered dirty basketball you have to start to accept that there is a pattern.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Let me guess, you are a Boston fan. See how productive that argument was? Come up with some type of analysis and we'll talk.

Looking at the replay closely, I don't think Dwight ever saw Jameer. Jameer flashed for a split second in Dwight's field of view, but keep in mind that Dwight's elbows could obstruct his vision and Jameer also being one foot shorter than him. Leads me to think Dwight was clearly looking for his PG instead of taking a free shot at KG.

I don't get the love for Mutombo doing his elbow spasms while there's hate on Dwight Howard. Seems to me that Dwight would be loved on this board if he were a Rocket, but since he's not, he's automatically dirty.

13. sbyang

sbyang Member

People would love Zach Randolph if he contributed while wearing their favorite team's uniform.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Every one of his posts leads back to Yao. Like tinman and Tmac.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The two couldn't be more different IMO. Dwight swings with the intention of hurting someone and nothing else. Mutombo either accidentally clocked people (reference the fact that he has clobbered many team mates) or he just kept his elbows up to keep little guys from swiping at the ball. I don't recall Mutombo ever throwing elbows after plays were over like Dwight has many times (Dalembert and Gasol videos in this thread as two examples).

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

I will agree with you on the KG ones. I think that is one of the reasons we are getting a lot of whistles when they are fighting for position. I would like it if they would just let them play and fight for position but due to how chippy this series has been the refs are calling a lot of ticky tack foul calls. Like the ones on Sheed when he barely bumped Howard when they were coming down the court.

The Dalembert one was pretty lame on Howard's part.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Series of tweets by Ric Bucher regarding D. Howard and other players he considers dirty:

Stop w/"keep the ball high" pablum. Not the issue w/Dwight. Most of his elbows come w/out the ball. Elbows out/ball high= contradiction.

@okayandysRT @treykerby: "Keep the ball high." - every coach ever. (Proving a little 411 can be dangerous. This is arms on catch/turn.)

I don't think DHoward meant to clock Davis. But he purposely plays w/his arms too high. Post play is about body angle, not eye-level 'bows.

Being physical is not dirty. It's being physical when your opponent can't see it coming + protect him/herself. That's the difference.

@sportsguy33 I'd put KG and Juwan Howard on "secretly" team. Also difference between irritant (Varejao) + dirty (Najera).

@sportsguy33 MJ and Kobe. Dirty when necessary. Which, in their minds, is/was a lot.

@sportsguy33 Horry, for 1X? Nah. Key word is "secretly." Polynice, Reggie Evans, JR Reid were/are dirty. Not so secret. Dwight=no secret.

Of course, Bill Simmons has been tweeting about how dirty Howard for a few hours but he's a Celtics fan so I'm sure there is some bias. Also, Simmons says Mutombo was dirty but then says he had to wear elbow pads in practice so that he didn't hurt Yao which totally contradicts the idea that he was a dirty (dirty meaning you're doing it on purpose) player unless Simmons is suggesting that Deke wanted to hurt Yao.

18. intergalactic

No, I'm a Houston fan. If Howard only did this once I would accept your excuse. If you can't see how silly you sound making excuses for so many plays, I suggest you spend your time on a Magic bbs instead. You're allowed to be a Magic homer there, but on Clutchfans you will get called on it.

19. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Obama says Gasol is the best center in the league... and your telling me this why? I could careless if OBAMA YO MAMA said he was. He should be doing other things more important then talking about tom, dick, and hairy about whos who in basketball. sheesh

20. amazinghappens

Makes no sense, Dwight is no doubt one of the commendable athletes playing in the NBA. The last team to complain should be the Celtics.