1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

she/her

leftist

supports CCP

At this point, people who put their pronouns in their bio self-brand like girls with a tramp stamp.
    [​IMG]

#14421 AroundTheWorld, Feb 27, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I probably said this before a hundred pages back, but I don't care about where the virus came from. Of course, it's relevant information for some things and of course some people in virology, public health, national security, etc, need to get to the bottom of it. But I distrust everyone in the general public who feel a need to know (and worse, to convince others about) how it started. They want to use that information to drive some other political agenda. They want to move public sentiment this way or that by controlling what people believe about China's culpability and I won't be participating. Market or lab, accidentally leaked or intentionally released, my feeling about China is just the same.

TheFreak and Amiga like this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Even if it was intentional? My feeling about China is not going to stay the same if it was intentional.

But if it's an accidental lab leak vs a natural spillover, yea, it wouldn't make much of any difference to me personally.

Astrodome likes this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

I know Angela and she is not a communist or a "leftist". That is just slander.

nice pic though

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Are you a virologist? :cool:

I don't know who she is, but I bet you 100 USD that she has a very left-leaning bias.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/art...-liberal-media-science-biden-trump-china.html

She also equated the Canadian truckers to the Jan. 6th insurrectionists and made several political posts on Twitter, clearly showing her left bias.

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

She is a liberal for sure. So am I. But she is not a leftist.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

An intentional release that wreaks havoc on your own population, economy, and power is such a comical super-villain thing to do that it would open a whole new array of questions that are also above my pay grade. So, sure it'd be mind-blowing and paradigm-breaking but would take us in such unpredictable directions that I can't say if or how it would change my opinion without a lot more follow-up after that. If Biden addresses the nation and tells us that, sure we'll deal with it. But insinuations from fringe influencers even with smoking gun evidence are not worth bothering with.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

ATW I found your messiah:
    [​IMG]

Jeffrey Tucker founded the Brownstone Institute in 2020 that group has been the leaders of the anti-COVID movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Tucker

He is an anarcho-capitalist and bitcoin aficionado.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism

[​IMG]

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Brownstone...why not just call it the Turd Institute?

Andre0087 likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't need a messiah, but what is the "anti-COVID movement" meant to be? Is there such a thing as a "pro-COVID movement"?

11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

Not anti-COVID rather COVID-denialism.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...vaccine-hesitancy-its-covid-denialism/618724/

It’s Not Vaccine Hesitancy. It’s COVID-19 Denialism.
    Reluctance to get vaccinated is concentrated among young conservatives, who are skeptical of the pandemic’s harms.

But if you had a messiah, he'd be up there right? How dissimilar is anarcho-capitalism to your own personal worldviews.

Andre0087 likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't know, right now I am too busy doing some work and simultaneously being mad at Silas ;).

Ubiquitin likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I agree most of this is being political but there are epidemiological and public safety reasons to know.

If it’s a lab leak this would certainly matter for improving safety standards at labs. If it’s zoonotic it would matter in addressing the conditions where such new viruses could emerge.

Either way I doubt we’ll ever know for certain. The PRC is not transparent on both counts. In addition to not being completely open about the lab they shut down and completely cleansed the Wuhan market before a thorough investigation was conducted there also.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Haven’t you criticized others for making judgements just on political leanings? So what if she is a Leftists. Is her argument scientifically valid?

dmoneybangbang and Andre0087 like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I believe it is plausible it could be a lab leak but it doesn’t seem plausible the PRC did this deliberately. It’s caused a lot of damage to their economy, international prestige and internal support for the CCP. It doesn’t make sense.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It is not.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Yet your whole argument against her is only based on political leanings

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I thought it was based on a tattoo? A very nice one too.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Safety standards at labs are for lab directors. Conditions for zoonotic spread is for public health professionals. There are good reasons for finding out and for professionals in relevant fields to pay attention. The great majority of us on this forum and in the general public don't have an actionable need for this information. Which isn't to say they should be kept from this information. But, the general desire to know (and to 'inform' others) isn't professional, its political. That's my point.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Waiting for more info is cool. Whatever one think of the China government, I don't think they are stupid. That will immediately go out of the door for me if this was intentional. I would need to find a mt Everest version of WTF to express my new feeling.