1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Agreed. The CCP is horrible. They were among those behind the creation of this virus, too. They should have made a deal to buy the mRNA to protect their elderly.

mikol13 likes this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I don’t think they really care for their people, so, it doesn’t surprise me. They are too proud to ask for help or admit that someone “beat them” with technology or science.

Invisible Fan and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes - that's the point. We do have data on it. The study compared the total risk between (A+B) vs C. A+B is less than C.

ps. If you believe that everyone will eventually get infected (vaccinated or not), you want to compare A+B to C, as this study did. If fewer people are infected due to vaccination, then even better.

cdastros likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I posted an article the other day that they have secretly been securing the mRNA for themselves/their relatives.

mikol13 likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

To expand on that - would you rather drink water from a water treatment plant ("bleached") or a non-water treatment plant ("natural")?

J&J has a rare but potential severe blood clotting side effect while it's not as protective as the mRNA vaccines. It's still available for limited use.

Novavax has also led to heart inflammation in trials. Not sure about the risk of that vs the mRNA vaccines. But we do know the risk of heart inflammation after covid vaccination is not limited to mRNA vaccines.

I don't think we have good solid data on the Sinovax vaccine. But if the initial reporting was right (only 51% effective at preventing symptomatic covid infection against the original strain), it's worse than the J&J (67% effective against the original strain). Against severe covid, it seems to hold up quite well as compared to mRNA vaccines after 3 doses (or a booster) in one study from HK that has some big limitation.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid-19-vaccine-comparison

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sinovax seems like the knock off jordans where MJ is facing the opposite direction

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is a clear 1st amendment violation.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone can ask Twitter to ban someone. That isn’t a violation of the First Amendment then asking for Clutch to ban someone from here is.

Also given they post cited a tweet from Robert Kennedy Jr. there wasn’t even a ban.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was just in HK and they mostly use Sinovax and Astrozenica. Neither are as effective as the MRNA vaccines. They do appear to have a lower rate if side effects but given the rate of severe side effects from the MRNA vaccines is ver low to begin with that doesn’t seem to make much of a difference.

There is also a PRC MRNA vaccine called Sinopharm. I don’t know much info about it.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are wrong. I already explained it.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You are talking to a self-proclaimed high-IQ AI who has been programmed to love Desantis. It’s why he defends Desantis FL's censoring of private companies and is able to spend 24/7, through Christmas and the holiday to post tweets about faux violations of 1a and other faux outrages.

ps I would treat it as comedy more than anything.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't know much either. I read that they have a Chinese made mRNA vaccine approved in Indonesia (by Walvax Biotech, Suzhou Abogen Biosciences and the Chinese military) while they are in the P2 trial with another version (by CanSino Biologics) that target the Omicron variant.

This is a good article on mRNA vaccine missed opportunities and pride in China. They could have the Pfizer version approved and ready for mass distribution years ago.

As early as the spring of 2020, a Chinese pharmaceutical company, Fosun Pharma, reached an agreement to distribute — and eventually manufacture — the mRNA vaccine made by Pfizer and BioNTech. But the shot still has not been cleared in mainland China, despite being authorized for use by separate authorities in Hong Kong and Macao.

Chinese health official and another person directly involved in the negotiations told the Associated Press that authorities have held back because they want to master the technology in China and not depend on foreign suppliers.

In the meantime, hopes for a Chinese-developed mRNA vaccine center on Abogen Biosciences, a startup founded in 2019 by Bo Ying, an American-trained scientist who once worked for Moderna.

The company has partnered with more established companies in the country such as Walvax, a private company founded in 2001, and the Academy of Military Medical Sciences, the military’s medical research facility.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Just took a closer look at the conclusions of the study you were referring to (described here):

Risk of Myocarditis After Sequential Doses of COVID-19 Vaccine and SARS-CoV-2 Infection by Age and Sex | Circulation (ahajournals.org)

It looks like the Moderna vaccine (mRNA-1273) is the one with the troubling increased incidence of myocarditis, especially in young men. In their sample of men under age of 40, there was 16 times extra risk of developing myocarditis after a positive COVID test without having received a vaccine versus a 97 times (!) increased risk of getting it after a second Moderna dose:

[​IMG]

For women under age 40, the increased risk with the second dose of Moderna looks to be similar as the increased risk resulting from getting COVID.

The number of excess cases we're talking about is on the order of a handful per 1 million people, so this is not the huge risk some are making it out to be. Still, if you're young and especially young and male, it's probably better to avoid getting the Moderna vaccine.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Right. The study summary makes the point that Moderna is the exception and has a higher risk.

Before this study, we already have some preliminary data that indicated this (Modera was higher risk than BioNTech), and I think that's why a number of countries recommended BioNTech over the Moderna version for those under 40. We also had some early data that 3-4 weeks between the primary series were too short - it both increases the risk of myocarditis and decreases protection. It's mostly a moot point now. Personally, for my kids, I waited 6-8 weeks before getting the 2nd shot.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

China variant is affecting China

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thank you for doing your own research. You would have gotten kicked off social media for posting this not long ago.

This is in line with what I have been saying, after researching it, and you have the usual suspects here reflexively, like a mob, calling you an "anti-vaxxer" and whatever.

The risk/reward ratio is very different for young and old people, and if you are young and healthy, it might not be advisable to take these shots.

For the record, I have 2 x Pfizer and 1 x Moderna.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

20. tinman

Supporting Member

If you woke people don't like calling it the China variant

what about Xi Variant?