1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Some progress. Potentially an extra half a billion vaccinated per year thanks to the US. For the profit-centric, this could help improve our global supply chain crunch in like another year or two...

www.washingtonpost.com /us-policy/2021/11/17/biden-covid-vaccine-manufacturing/
    Biden administration will invest billions to expand coronavirus vaccine manufacturing

The Biden administration is planning to invest billions of dollars to expand U.S. manufacturing capabilities of coronavirus vaccines to increase the supply of doses for poorer nations, the White House said Wednesday.

The White House is aiming to spur the production of at least 1 billion doses a year. The funds will support companies that make mRNA vaccines, such as Pfizer and Moderna, by helping them expand their capacity by funding facilities, equipment, staff and training.

For months, the United States has been under pressure to play a larger role in sharing vaccines with the world, and Wednesday announcement is the latest partnership between the federal government and pharmaceutical companies to bolster vaccine production during the pandemic. The effort is also designed to prepare the U.S. for future pandemics to ensure the country’s manufacturing will be able to quickly produce vaccines, the White House said.

“The goal is to guarantee capacity to produce approximately 100 million mRNA vaccines a month against covid or other pandemic viruses upon demand for the United States or global use,” said David Kessler, the administration’s chief science officer who oversees vaccine distribution. “We are looking to enter into a historic partnership with one or more experienced pharmaceutical partners. This partnership will be used for covid and any future pandemic viruses with the goal of having enough vaccines available within six to nine months of the identification of the virus.”

The Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, known as BARDA, has published a “request for information," seeking proposals from companies that have experience using mRNA technology. BARDA is the office within the Department of Health and Human Services responsible for developing vaccines and other medical countermeasures.

For months, activists have criticized the Biden administration for failing to scale up domestic vaccine manufacturing capacity to boost the global supply of vaccines. Protesters have gathered outside the homes of top officials in Washington in recent weeks, including White House chief of staff Ron Klain and covid coordinator Jeff Zients, demanding the White House do more to share vaccines with the world.

In September, activists gathered outside Klain’s house and set up a 12-foot pile of fake bones they said symbolized American inaction in combating the global coronavirus crisis.​

Amiga likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

^Or maybe it's an extra 333 million (give or take 166 million) vaccinated with this "need to have" third shot. I've already expressed my doubts about why under 65 absolutely needs a booster shot. I actually don't mind getting infected as long as the chances of me getting into an ICU from covid are worse than getting hit by lightning.

Other people might have different definitions of risk, and whether they'd feel gut wrenchingly guilty infecting others who refuse vaccines aka Big Pharma Poison sold to non-farm raised organisms.

www.cnn.com /2021/11/17/world/coronavirus-newsletter-intl-17-11-21/index.html
    The definition of 'fully vaccinated' is changing to three Covid-19 doses

Waning vaccine immunity and rising infections due to the Delta variant has prompted wealthy nations to reconsider the definition of "fully vaccinated" -- which usually means two Covid-19 jabs.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson admitted as much on Monday, saying boosters were vital to prevent pandemic restrictions from being reintroduced. "It's very clear that getting three jabs -- getting your booster -- will become an important fact and it will make life easier for you in all sorts of ways," he told a press conference.

Other European nations are moving towards mandates on booster jabs. By December 15, anyone over the age of 65 will need a third dose to revalidate their vaccination pass in France, President Emmanuel Macron announced last week. In Austria, full vaccination status expires after nine months of the second dose, which in effect enforces booster doses. In Israel, unless you received your second dose of the Covid-19 vaccine within the last six months, you now need a third dose to become eligible for a green pass, which allows entry to gyms, restaurants and other venues.

Global health experts fear reliance on boosters is affecting the supply of initial doses in low-income nations, where just 4.6% have received an injection. World Health Organization (WHO) chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said it was "a scandal" that six times more booster shots are being administered around the world daily than primary doses in low-income countries.

"It makes no sense to give boosters to healthy adults, or to vaccinate children, when health workers, older people and other high-risk groups around the world are still waiting for their first dose," he warned last Friday.

The supply of vaccines is being prioritized for rich nations, which have pushed themselves to the front of the queue by paying drug companies higher prices, Anna Marriott, health policy adviser for Oxfam, told a UK parliamentary group on coronavirus on Tuesday. "If we look at low-income countries as a whole, less than 1% of the total vaccine supply has been delivered to those poorest countries, many of which are in Africa," she added.

It's also a gamble for rich nations to rely on vaccinations in a pandemic, Dr. David Nabarro, WHO's special envoy on Covid-19, told UK lawmakers. "It has never been done before and it would really be an inappropriate public health strategy to do so," he said. With so much yet to be learned about the virus, using vaccines as the main weapon against Covid-19 could lead to new variants, Nabarro warned.

What needs to be done is a "combination approach" of masks and other health interventions, "which is to do everything possible to empower people to avoid being infected by the pathogen," he said.​

#10042 Invisible Fan, Nov 17, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was recently in Florida. Man, was I happy that I had already had my booster shot.

IBTL, No Worries and bobrek like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

I suppose Florida Man would more happy for your booster than 3rd World Man, though I imagine the gratitude that comes from vaccination is inversely proportional.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Herd immunity isn’t remotely possible with Delta and with only ~60% of the US population vaccinated. It will rip through the unvaccinated and some vaccinated. Places that already experience the “rip through” will quiet down for now, until the next wave (which we were hoping the last wave were the last one until Delta happen… so hoping again that delta is the last one).

The biggest factor for the current wave is Delta + not enough vaccinated+infected to slow it down.

With more people going indoors when it gets colder and with the holidays gathering coming, I would expect a winter spike everywhere.

Rashmon likes this.
  6. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

you are just proving what people say about you. This isn’t evidence. It is a tik tok video with excerpts relating to swine flu vaccinations, with innuendo and allegations, but zero facts. All it can be interpreted to mean is that there is a video showing some amount skepticism about the safety of vaccines in the context of swine flu.

Therefore, I can only assume that you are citing this tik tok video as support for the general idea that people can have skepticism about the safety of Covid vaccinations.

Hey dummy, there are exactly Zero people on this board who say - dude, people can’t feel somewhat skeptical or worried.

People are discussing whether there is any evidence to support the skepticism, any evidence to suggest that getting vaccinated is more dangerous than not being vaccinated.

You keep arguing that there is all this evidence, but you cite things like this tik tok video which presents exactly zero evidence or scientific analysis. It just talks about people feeling a certain skepticism or worry. There is nothing here that supports that worry.

Surely on some level, you can understand why people think you are a moron. You like to call people “sheep” for relying on published data because it’s mainstream media, because big government and big pharma is out to control or profit from us. That’s a nice Trumpy “feeling” you got there, but time and again, you present zero evidence to support your claim. Just trumpy argument and feelings.

More and more Americans are behaving this way … allowing feelings, thoughts and beliefs to operate in their minds like they are facts …. and then allowing confirmation bias to dismiss mountains of scientific analysis and data …. Because of the ever useful Trump card that Dems, pharma , media are out to get you so it’s all lies lies lies not data.

You sir, are not very bright.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...d-study-found-vaccinations-alone-arent-enoug/

From the author (S. Subramanian):

"Concluding from this analysis that vaccines are useless is misleading and inaccurate. Rather, the analysis supports vaccination as an important strategy for reducing infection and transmission, along with handwashing, mask-wearing, proper ventilation and physical distancing."

Easy for laypeople to misinterpret the title of the article. Quoting from the paper (emphasis mine):

Not to mention other confounding factors, which are not accounted for, mean one can't really draw any strong conclusions from the correlation data presented.

#10047 durvasa, Nov 17, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    Amiga likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So is it accurate to say that the poster either did not read or did not understand the article he or she posted?

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Tfor3 likes this.
  11. Rileydog

why is it fashionable to post random videos to support your position instead of … hmmm, I don’t know … facts and information?

12. Rileydog

It is accurate to say that the poster( @Possum ) does not read, and/or is unwilling/unable to digest information that runs contrary to his beliefs, no matter how unfounded they are,

bobrek likes this.
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Where is the quote saying Fauci says people without the booster shot should lose their jobs?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. Commodore

people are already losing their jobs for not being fully vaccinated in some instances, and Fauci is saying a booster may be required to meet that standard

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Had a scare after being exposed to someone who tested positive. I wasn't too worried though as I wasn't feeling symptoms and am vaccinated. Out of caution I still canceled an in person meeting with a client, didn't go to Judo and stayed home until my PCR test came back. Tested negative.

Right now MN is going through another spike and again ICU's are strained. While there are breakthrough cases in most of the cases are unvaccinated. Whether I got sick or not my concern is more spreading it to others who are more vulnerable. We don't have unlimited medical resources which is why even if we feel healthy or think we can beat the disease we still need to be careful.

IBTL and Rileydog like this.
  17. Commodore

18. NewRoxFan

You and the tweet are disingenuously connecting Fauci's recommendation that everyone get vaccinated (including a booster) and any mandates by employers to get vaccinated to meet the requirements for working there.

I know that, you know it as well. Just pointing it out.

19. NewRoxFan

Good for the NM governor. COVID-19 cases and deaths are rising in the state and she obviously cares enough to respond.