1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am worried about people providing medical care who don't understand basic science.

No Worries, London'sBurning and B-Bob like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

They probably understand the science but what is scarier, they allow their (bizarre) political beliefs (qanon, trumpism) to ignore the science they do know.

dobro1229 and rocketsjudoka like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes. My understanding is to get an RN you would have to pass several science courses including courses that would cover basic immunology.

I've brought this up before with Dr. Ben Carson. He's a skilled surgeon and very well educated yet is able to compartmentalize his mind to embrace profoundly irrational beliefs that aren't even Biblical supported.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I like the conundrum a lot of Trump supporters find themselves in. On one hand, they praise him for getting the vaccine out so quick. On the other hand they don't want to take it because it came out too quick.

No Worries, rocketsjudoka and B-Bob like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

And this could be addressed by Trump himself putting his support behind getting vaccinated. Instead he got his vaccination shot out of the public eye and has lent tepid support to vaccination.

Just more of the contradiction and chaos that marked the Trump Administration handling of COVID-19.

7. NewRoxFan

Gee, I feel gypped that I haven't been transformed into Magneto. That was a thought...

B-Bob likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Awaiting full FDA approval sounds like a very sound legal argument to me. But, I still say fire all those nurses now. I don't trust them with sick patients, and don't trust their judgment generally.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"gypped" is racist against gypsies. just sayin' ;)

10. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think the bigger motivation is money. There's a profitable market telling irrational conspirators their worst fears are true. You get to write a book to shill onto those people. Then there's public speaking engagements where you can charge a nominal fee telling people what they want to hear. Then you get to make your way through conspiracy circuits to be a guest on fringe shows like Info Wars and at least from 2016-2020, could possibly even be a guest at the White House. A lot of profit and power potentially to be had if you're willing to sell out your ethics that is.

11. NewRoxFan

And here I used to blame his lack of success as a quarterback on Adam Gase...

12. NewRoxFan

Sports writers can be a cruel bunch...

B-Bob likes this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Having worked with a lot of pre-medical/pre-health type students... for the majority, there's zero appreciation for science of the subjects they briefly memorize to move on to the next class. "Anatomy and Physiology" -- that's basically just stamp collecting, and a very important version, but little science to appreciate really. I believe most nursing undergrads have to take "Microbiology," so you'd think there's a lot of science there too, with a strong intro to bacteria and viruses, but most students will approach that, too, as stamp collecting, memorizing key phrases and words for a test, even the MCAT, but not with what you'd necessarily call a working knowledge or appreciation to carry forward.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but I'm just less surprised when you can hear any nurse, or say a prominent eye doctor from Kentucky exhibiting what is basically a fundamental level of scientific ignorance on some issue of health or another.

London'sBurning and No Worries like this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I wonder what criteria Sam will use to "evaluate" the vaccines? o_O
    Astrology, perhaps? Locker-room discussion? I hope he at least talks with some O-linemen.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2021/06/08/pharmacist-who-tried-destroying-covid-vaccines-gets-3-year-prison-sentence/?sh=453022c21d26

Pharmacist Who Tried Destroying Covid Vaccines Gets 3-Year Prison Sentence

KEY FACTS
    Brandenburg, 46, pleaded guilty in February to two charges relating to his attempt to spoil hundreds of doses of Moderna vaccine.

Brandenburg admitted he took a box of vaccine vials out of refrigeration while working overnight shifts at Advocate Aurora Health Systems in Grafton, Wisconsin, on Dec. 24 and 25 in an attempt to make them ineffective.

He would return the vials to refrigeration at the end of his shifts, but the potentially compromised vaccines were given as shots to 57 people before Brandenburg's sabotage was discovered.

Police had labeled Brandenburg an "admitted conspiracy theorist," who believes that the Earth is flat and for years told coworkers vaccines are not safe.

superfob and B-Bob like this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A health care worker who doesn't get vaccinated probably should get fired. They have no business working in an industry that requires you to mind the health of others without putting them in unnecessary jeopardy.

No Worries likes this.
  17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

good god, this meeting was a hell of a thing

social media has really done a lot of damage to this country

Amiga, Ziggy, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I've seen that clip but missed that she was a nurse. If she's trying to stick a key to her neck in a public hearing she should not be providing health care.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Legislators used to not bother with this type of idiocy. But as more legislators joined the rank of being idiots themselves, and as our political system pushes idiocy to the very top, this kind of idiocy is being entertained and is becoming a part of our norm.

Coach AI likes this.