1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. foh

foh Member

Yes people die of flu. But COVID19 is 20 times as deadly.
    5 million Americans would be at risk of dying if nothing is done. (Rough personal calculation)

6 people already died and there are no methods put in place to prevent this from likely becoming a pandemic.

I'm pretty sure that the whole "do not panic" approach is just for political appearances sake (maybe in vane attempt to try not jitter the markets). There is no chance that hospitals would run out of masks, etc or that we run out of food. Hence no downside to any possible "panic".

PS I personally don't care about getting sick despite the hypothetical I suggested in a previous post

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sarcasm bro

4. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Seems about right. We're in for a rough couple of months.

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

6. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Yaaa the rest of the world's tone on the Coronavirus is world's apart from the Trump administration. We're probably f****ked.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Looks like @AroundTheWorld might have some new avatar picture material again.

Buck Turgidson, Nook and B-Bob like this.
  8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Darwin would be proud.

9. foh

foh Member

They say .2-.4 percent like in Korea is what they estimate.
    That's better than 1-2%..

A little more leeway hopefully for the government there. A reason to be more optimistic overall

snowconeman22, BigM and B-Bob like this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The actual, undiagnosed numbers of people infected might already be much higher.

But that would also mean that the mortality rates are much lower than assumed.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

China also changed the way it diagnosis and reports halfway through this thing... and scared people from coming forward by brutalizing their population... likely affected the initial numbers. Minor cases likely didn't step forward.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

S Korea took thing a lot more seriously than we have unfortunately.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So needy, trump's official white house press release featuring trump cheerleaders like gaetz and meadows tweets sucking up to trump... pathetic!

14. NewRoxFan

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think this is the first time big data was used successfully globally in almost (will look like dinosaurs in a decade) real time to hinder a pandemic from taking a strong foothold (not there yet but it seems each country will be able to control it). It speaks well for the future of nations coming together and fighting a common “enemy” (just need China to lead us :))

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Didn't a similar percentage of Clinton voters vote for McCain over Obama?

And it isn't a consipracy theory. It's very simple. The DNC party leaders were very open in their preference of Hillary over Bernie. The DNC leadership had their thumb on the scale which influenced votes. It isn't some grand "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" conspiracy. I think most Bernie supporters wanted a DNC leadership that was neutral and not so obvious in their preference.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The actual number of Bernie primary voters, according to Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight (since you want to break it down) who voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016 is 74.3%. In other words, it's worse than 12%. In fact, double that number. The numbers below are at the link provided and are from an article by Silver from this time last year.

I'll also point out, since you brought him up, that the late John McCain was a vastly different candidate than Mr trump. A senior Republican senator, highly respected, deeply experienced, honorable. In other words, everything trump is not and wasn't in 2016. To pretend that Bernie's decidedly reluctant and lackluster support of Ms Clinton didn't make a huge difference in in 2016 is pretty ridiculous, in my humble opinion and with all due respect. It also remains my opinion that it cost Hillary the election.

I'll also point out that Ms Clinton gave Barack Obama a strong endorsement, and that unlike Bernie, who lost the 2016 primary race to Hillary by 3,000,000 votes, President Obama won the 2008 nomination over Ms Clinton by 1/10th of 1 percent. Her concession speech is below Bernie's 2016 numbers. Her strong endorsement is around the 7 minute mark. She called for her supporters to help elect Barack Obama numerous times and explained why. I'll also add that she didn't "require" that Barack stand next to her while she conceded. There is no comparison to Bernie's "concession" speech. I invite you to watch it.

What Bernie Sanders primary voters did in November 2016

Voted for Hillary Clinton 74.3%

Voted for Donald Trump 12.0

Voted for Gary Johnson 3.2

Voted for Jill Stein 4.5

Voted for other candidates or voted but didn’t recall 2.5

Didn’t vote but said they would have voted for Clinton 1.6

Didn’t vote and didn’t say they would have voted Clinton 1.9

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...vote-what-does-that-mean-for-his-chances-now/

Dude, you are the one who is deluding himself. Read my post above. Watch her concession speech, starting at the 7 minute mark. Then watch Bernie's, if you can, particularly when he finally gets around to "endorsing" Ms Clinton. See for yourself.

#537 Deckard, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

40 rallies.... 40 rallies were Bernie stumped for Hillary. Dude this is such an absurd take.

Ask yourself honestly if Hillary would have done the same for Bernie in a hypothetical reverse.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

what? I seriously don’t know what you’re talking about.

20. NewRoxFan