1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That picture is very illogical to me. I guess I can't speak to Texas but all the stores in San Francisco (arguably at the end of a supply chain with millions of people in the whole area crowded together) get restocked very regularly.

As long as there's money to be made, the supply chain will function, seems to me.

I know I'm no fun rejecting the whole apocalyptic picture thing, or I can already hear (not from you, but certain internet voices, that I'm a "sheeple" being led to certain slaughter by my stupidity). But a set of people staying home from work isn't going to sever our supply chains.

If you ask grocers to stock products out of the goodness of their hearts? With no profit motive? Yeah, that could get dicey. I assume that is just one of many reasons the feds are talking about putting $ in peoples' hands next month.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The stores in Minneapolis are well stocked except for TP and bread. It's a good thing I bought a lot of TP more than a month ago (I'm the Kelly Loefler of insider wiping) and I don't eat a lot of bread.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I would have thought the same thing .... But seeing the store shelves absolutely barren last Friday and again yesterday made me think about the possibility.
    Yesterday there was no meat , limited amounts of bread , rice , eggs , water and milk. Still no dry beans , sugar , coffee or flour & the canned goods isle was completely bare.

They were limiting customers to one package of female products ... no paper towels , toilet paper at all.

One thing they had plenty of was beer and wine , they must have just gotten shipments in because it was stacked everywhere throughout the store.

I've been going to that store for the last 20ish years and know pretty much everyone there , asked the manager when they would be restocking - his answer to sum it up - "I don't know - sporadically".

4. B-Bob

I’m just saying: if someone can make money bringing meat and eggs to TX shelves, it will happen. :)

malakas likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You want all stores to close? 30 seconds of google searching found their employees get sick PTO.

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

"How long does coronavirus stay “alive” on surfaces?
    Up to three days, depending on the surface. According to a study funded by the US National Institutes of Health:

• The new coronavirus is viable up to 72 hours after being placed on stainless steel and plastic.
    • It was viable up to four hours after being placed on copper, and up to 24 hours after being put on cardboard.
    • In aerosols, it remained viable for three hours."

malakas likes this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Oh I don't dispute that .... but this ins't isolated to just Texas.

Curious if you've ventured out in the past few days , what's it look like in your neck of the woods ?

9. B-Bob

Yeah, I walk the dog a few times a day. I got some groceries two days ago at a local market. And today I went to my corner bodega b/c the owner, Chuck, is great, and he can give me a rundown of things. He said today things have really calmed down but overall sales have been great for him. He's not having any trouble getting resupplied so far, BUT he said if people kept panic buying, there's no way the supply chain can do that. (And that makes sense.) You have to think once people have 300 loaves of bread, they might calm down.

If they don't (and they're calming down out here in SF anyway), then the nightmare scenario could happen.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would assume it is a week or two at most. After that nada

11. Bandwagoner

20 seconds research it looks like they get 6 days sick 6 days personal and 2 weeks vacation between 6 months and 4 years employment. pretty standard.

they employ seasonal workers for christmas who get nothing and are probably not currently employed there.

peleincubus likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That might be the result of panic buying more than supply chain issues.

The US produces so much food - remember we pay farmers to destroy food. The food supply is not in danger, what's in danger are the things we import - things like drugs and medical equipment - mainly from China, who we are pissing off.

13. biina

biina Member

Please provide link to info that say Hobby Lobby hourly employees do get paid sick leave (which is what you are claiming to refute)

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

^ back and forths like these are the reason we need federally guaranteed paid leave. Does anybody not support that concept? Is there a reason why we are behind the entire world on that issue?

Most highly developed countries guarantee paid leave days for

Vacation
    Sickness
    Childbirth

Time for us too as well.

Rashmon and T_Man like this.
  15. Bandwagoner

yeah so if you are ever looking for a job you can typically find the copy of the benefits if the company is large enough. Even small companies have them online for employee convenience just close to impossible to find. This is the link but it's a pdf

https://employee.hobbylobby.com/BenefitsDocumentCenter/GetDocument/Reference/1/62

Corrosion likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

According to that is only for full-time / salaried employees. Hourly works do not get that benefit.

17. B-Bob

18. Bandwagoner

Salary workers get sick pay but no PPTO. Hourly get PPTO but no sick pay. It's the same thing accrued at the same rate. The difference is hourly can have their traded for cash annually.

So you are basically wrong as per losual.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

FrontRunner likes this.
  20. B-Bob

no. I am allowed to dislike the eagles and their earnestness though. Give me some real rock.

Deckard and Corrosion like this.