1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D’Antoni explains why he doesn’t like calling timeouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hcw128, May 21, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is such a poorly thought out argument buddy.

MDA is one of the best coaches out of timeouts. You need a lot of things to win championships, chief among them is having at least as much talent as the opposing team. All coaches have flaws. MDA can be mediocre at something and it's not the reason we lose to a team no other team/coach/superstar has been able to beat.

As for giving the players the tools to do it, obviously these are professionals, they watch film regularly. It's a big emphasis for this team. They talk about those things. As mentioned, ppp out of timeouts for the best coach in the entire NBA is lower than our AVERAGE ppp. Calling a timeout in that situation reduces our chances of making a shot. Gives the opponent a chance to execute the defense they've been planning. Going over it again is not going to change that.

Again, Kerr has been doing this forever and his players fail in those situations many times. This myth that's being propagated is purely perceptual. MDA lets the play go on when he isn't going to say what the players are about to do anyway. This is all by design, it's not a mistake, and MDA has been the most successful coach in the NBA against Durant's Warriors.

RyanB and HP3 like this.
  2. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

When the arm chair coaching is makes more sense than the actual coaching. Thats not a good thing.

If this were Phoenix then that everything is going to be ok attitude would be ok. Nash was on the tail end of his career. Some of you may be ok to sit here and let him coattail ride Hardens talent and not do any real coaching. I want my coach to help my players improve. Not my players make my the coach look like something he's not.

I would love for this Cinderella story to work...and MDA get his vindication, but how many opportunities does he get? He should finish his contract, but i dont know about an extension yet. Hes been good overall but at some point winning a Championship is more important than making sure MDA is the coach when it happens.

3. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

This is such a poorly thought out reply.

Let me stop you here....

"MDA has been the most successful coach in the NBA against Durant's Warriors"

Oh you mean Harden has been more successful against Durants Warriors. Dont be naive. Wonder what the data shows when MDA isnt coaching an allstar guard.

"Gives the opponent a chance to execute the defense they've been planning."

You mean the double James Harden plan because MDA doesnt run set plays except maybe one for EG besides that just pick and rolls until the shot clock goes down.

I know what NBA championship basketball looks like, this aint it.

I dont care about Warriors supposedly being the better team. 2nd place is not good. Its not a consolation prize.

caneks, vlaurelio and bmelo like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

Who else in this league wins without talent, tell me who? Cmon bro gonna have to do better than, "Harden makes him look good, he is crap. "

5. caneks

caneks Rookie

He is the outlier of NBA coaches. what is the point of having timeout if you do not use it to make an adjustment?

6. kevtse

kevtse Member

MDA just admitted that he does not make adjustments.

PeterKingX likes this.
  7. SemisolidSnake

How about the analytic that the most successful coach in the NBA over the past 2+ decades does this ALL. THE. TIME? Hell, Pop does it before a scoring run even starts. Two bad plays in a row, and he'll call a timeout to pull his players' heads out of their asses.

The ONLY answer I could have considered acceptable before I read this article was "I'm conserving them for the end of the game." We actually saw that work out well once or twice this year. But that wasn't even a reason given.

Deep inhale.........longer exhale.

Guys, the Astros the best team in baseball right now in every possible respect. If you want to just get away from this Rockets mess for a while and see a team and organization that's absolutely the top of the line, we could use more people over in the Astros forum. After that Game 6 loss, the Stros did a perfect job of cheering me up and making me forget about it by the next day.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It is nice having our baseball and basketball teams run by math wizards.

Ramo$e and HP3 like this.
  9. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Were you not around when we were 50/50 basketball club barely making the 8th seed? Would have loved to see him coach those teams. We had real coaching then and we were barely making it with mediocre talent. Now we have below mediocre coaching and a All-star talent in JH.

MDA is not trash but is he good enough to make adjustments and win a championship. History says no.

PeterKingX likes this.
  10. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Dude just basically said that he doesn’t coach.....

11. HP3

HP3 Member

Lol and what has he done to make you think he was mediocre. You haven’t given any stats and you don’t talk about film so I don’t know how I’m supposed to believe what you say. He isn’t Mediocre and the results agree.

Like most people on here can’t even perceive adjustments when they are made on the court anyways so I don’t know what adjustments people think he did or didn’t make.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

Rockets Organization is top of the line and they didn’t have to tank to get where they are(not hating just giving you the facts).

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

Great freaking question. If he gets another 3 year extension, it'll be mind-blowing that Morey really thinks he can't do better than this.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The value of a timeout I think is really to try to take the crowd out of the game a bit

15. Rox11

Rox11 Member

But we’re not professionals....

Smh idk how we know this and the guys getting the big bucks don’t..

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You don't need to be a professional or earn big bucks to know that a timeout quiets the crowd a bit.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No, I don't mean Harden has been most successful against Durant's Warriors. The Rockets have been most successful, and that's with a less talented roster than the Warriors, and certainly not the 2nd most talented roster in the NBA. If you don't know why this is happening, you are being ignorant.

The opponent will double Harden if they want even if we run a set play.

You don't care about finishing 2nd. Who cares? The point here is whether the strategy is successful. You can have the best driver in the world, a Toyota Camry is not going to beat a Ferrari, and a Camry finishing 2nd in a race indicates a huge success. It is absolutely silly to judge the strategy by whether it finishes first and ignoring all other factors. The most successful strategy will create the greatest amount of overachievement IN RELATION TO the resources available (in this case the roster). MDA is getting more production out of his talent than virtually anyone in the NBA, certainly more than Kerr who is widely regarded as an excellent coach. There is no reason we should be competitive with the Warriors, and the reason is certainly not talent.

WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE COMPETITIVE WITH THE WARRIORS? DO YOU THINK JAMES HARDEN PRODUCES MORE THAN STEPH CURRY AND KEVIN DURANT COMBINED? DO YOU THINK WE HAVE BETTER 2ND/3RD/4TH OPTIONS? THINK ABOUT IT.

jordnnnn likes this.
  18. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

This is why Dantoni doesn't like to call timeouts when we are getting our @$$e$ kicked:

[​IMG]

He makes the problem a lot worse.

19. TimDuncanDonaut

Curious if anyone read through the entire article. It's not that timeouts aren't important. The writer (whether agree or disagree) was making a point about overuse of timeouts. Summarizing...

Let players play through tough stretches instead of bailing them out.

Hold out in case later the need to advance the ball in late critical situations.

Timeout let's an offensive team draw plays, but defensively the other team gets to reset their defense and regroup.

In addition to MDA, other coaches this writer cited to make his points included Scotts, Kerr, Brad Stevens, Phil Jackson Bulls for his Bulls.

HP3 likes this.
  20. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

You can see the game differently from the sidelines.. You should be able to tell your team what they’re doing wrong, and how to correct a problem. Draw a play, run a different set, or even just give your team a quick breather.