1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Déjà vu] Astros Interested in Tejada

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Oski2005, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Astros, Giants interested in Tejada

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

The Astros and Giants are among the teams that have expressed interest in Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada, sources have told SI.com.

The Astros, who signed free-agent second baseman Kaz Matsui to a three-year, $16.5 million contract on Sunday, have long been interested in the 31-year-old Tejada, who was the American League MVP in 2002 with the Oakland A's.

Since signing with the Orioles as a free agent in 2004, Tejada has often been the subject of trade rumors. He demanded a trade in 2005 and the Orioles reportedly were close to dealing him before the 2006 trade deadline.

Although his production has dropped off in recent years, he still batted .296 with 18 home runs and 81 RBIs last season despite missing 29 games. Some say his range has also declined, so a move to third base could be in his future.

The Orioles are believed to be interested in outfielder Michael Bourn (acquired from the Phillies in the Brad Lidge deal), shortstop Adam Everett and other Astros prospects.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/12/02/astros.tejada/index.html

I hope Wade can find a way to pull this off without losing Bourn. Would take a miracle though considering what other teams could offer. Also, there is still a steroid clould hanging over Tejada IMHO.

#1 Oski2005, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. icp2

icp2 Member

I'm probably alone in this, but I feel more comfortable with Everett as our shortstop than Tejada. As it stands right now, we have one of, if not the best defensive middle infield in baseball. We also have an outstanding defensive center fielder and an above-average right fielder. Our catcher is supposed to be one of the better defensive prospects in our organization. Every other position (sans Lee) is at least ok. Last year our defense was horrible, and the team ERA jumped way up. (yes I know, the pitchers weren't as good, but if you think that the defense had nothing to do with the ERA change, then I really hope you never land a general managing job, unless of course, it's with the Cardinals)

I think we can all agree that the Astros' biggest need right now is pitching and that the lineup is definitely at least serviceable at the moment. If we make this trade for a declining Tejada, considering the solid defensive players we'll be giving up, we'll basically be guaranteeing that every Astros game is a runfest. Why do you think the Oriels (who I don't think are a bad offensive team) want Everett and Bourn in the first place?

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

Astros aren't interested in Tejada, rather the Orioles are interested in exploring the market. Bourn isn't going anywhere so that's the big clue to who initiated these talks.

4. Refman

Refman Member

I have no doubt that the Astros want Tejada. It seems that Drayton has coveted that guy for a while now. I do NOT think that the Astros are willing to part with Bourn in order to get him.

I do think that we would part with a couple of our tradeable commodities in order to get him.

5. MaxwellsTemper

It sounds bogus to me. It would go against the strategy and maneuvering Wade has done this offseason. Sounds more like the Orioles are the ones inquiring and/or creating market buzz.. just like last time when we were supposedly offering to trade Roy when there was no chance in hell Roy was moving.

6. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Member

Unless the Orioles are going to take Everett, Burke, Scott and/or other for Tejada, I seriously doubt he comes here. I would like to see Tejada here for his stick, and while he isn't as slick as Everett with the leather, he's not far off. It would be intriguing to have Tejada's stick in the lineup with Pence, Berkman and Lee.

If the Astros can get Tejada without giving up too much, I'd say go for it, but I'd rather see them try to acquire some starting pitching.

7. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Member

Everyone wants Roy.

If the Astros come out flat again this season and are out of the race before the trade deadline we're going to continue to hear about Roy being moved. The Mets want him bad and I'm sure they'll continue to call throughout the season for him despite a no-trade clause.

With some of the prospects being mentioned for Santana, it makes me wonder if Wade would listen to offers for Roy if they were made.

8. BMoney

BMoney Member

Tejada is a player in decline, albeit, still a productive one. The Orioles waited a year too long to pull the trigger on trading him. I think it's probably time to move him to third base, anyway.

9. xiki

xiki Member

There is a limited market for Tejada. With reason.

10. leroy

leroy Member

I'd do it if they could keep Everett. Burke, Scott, and prospect would be nice. Then, you move Tejada to 3rd. He has lost a lot of range to play SS. I'd be hesitant to include Patton in the deal. I think he's the real thing and should be important to the rotation this year...especially if Wade isn't able to pick someone else up.

11. weslinder

weslinder Member

At this point in his career, Tejada isn't really a shortstop. He needs to play third.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And if he plays 3rd, how much of an offensive upgrade is he over Wigginton? Tejada's OBP was higher (.357 to .333), but Wigginton slugged higher and hit a few more home runs.

Is he the player folks want to "spend" Burke and Scott on? I'd rather they use their primary trade chips on pitching.

13. leroy

leroy Member

Tejada missed 29 games last year due to injury and was never 100% after (not to mention that he hadn't missed a game in the previous 6 seasons). I'd be willing to bet that his numbers would have been much higher had he played a full healthy season.

14. weslinder

weslinder Member

Tejada has been a much better hitter through his career than Twiggy. I'd expect him to be better next year.

I would too. I'd think that you could get a decent pitcher or good pitching prospect for Scott and something for Burke.

15. msn

msn Member

Nope, you're not alone. I'd take Tejada at third, but not at SS. I haven't been able to watch him in a while, but everything I've heard lately is that his range is way down and he's very nearly a hack.

That, plus declining numbers the last few years, plus the whole drama queen act he's been pulling in B-more mean, no thanks. At least not at short, and not for our only trading trips.

I'd give them Wigginton and a ML pitcher for him, but they wouldn't take that. :D :D

16. Buck Turgidson

Or if he was still able to hit his favorite internet pharmacy?

Whoever said that the market for Tejada is limited for a reason is correct. His skills are in serious decline. Highly, highly, highly doubtful the Astros want him to play SS given their constant emphasis on defense up the middle; and as bobrek said, is he really that much of an offensive upgrade at 3rd (and it's not a given he can play 3rd) to merit an additional 7ish million a season? And do they want to burn the few tradable assets on a position of non-need?

Doesn't make a lot of sense for the Stros.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

ok I def. agreed above that he's declining.

But his injury certainly played a large part in last year's down season power-wise. It was well-documented that he wasn't able to generate power in his swing because of it, and that knocked his HR power to double power a lot of times.

I also think that injuries will continue because he's getting older. And yeah, his range has declined based on reports and the times I watched him last year (10ish games). I'd definitely take him at 3rd along with a contingency plan should he get injured..

but not for anything big prospect-wise.. and there's no way they'd let him go for the returns they'd get I would think..

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

As a Yankee fan I see this guy play a ton.

Your post is outrageous. Tejada might be worse than Jeter at SS.

19. grummett

grummett Member

If Tejada is not that far off from Everett with the glove, Rafer is not that far off from Kidd in passing ability.

20. MaxwellsTemper

Tejada is nowhere near as good on defense. No where near. I'm talking different stratospheres. Like others have said, at this stage in his career I wouldn't want him as my SS and his signing would go against what Wade has emphasized with D up the middle.

No way. When pigs fly. Oswalt is not moving. He is signed at a great price.