1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx: Rockets will go after Durant hard in 2016

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Feb 18, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

He's aligning everything so when we walk into that Durant meeting with 2 of his best friends. Kevin wouldn't be able to say No.

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Um wow.....he really really really wanted out of Denver....

We need a Bima update on how this, Howard, and the impending DMo and Jones extensions effect a Durant pursuit.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Waive [one of] his best friend? That'll definitely help! ;)

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Wow. does any other team use non-guaranteed contracts like the Rockets do? I don't know how Morey does it but he is working the system.

One day there is probably going to be some clause named after him prohibiting more than a certain % from being non-guaranteed for guys that make more than __ salary.

5. TheresTheDagger

It's good for Lawson too. He goes into next summer as a FA, allows the Rockets to become competitive for other top F/A's next summer with BIG cap room AND we still hold his Bird rights meaning he can resign for the most money on the Rockets after we hopefully land Durant/Horford....or sign elsewhere if we don't and he wants out.

i.e. It is to any star player's advantage to be a F/A next summer, including Lawson.

All of this EXACTLY when cap figure is expected to expand by about 20 million, so Morey has room to work his magic.

6. Ns575

Ns575 Member

If he came here with this current roster he'd win a title, no doubt about it.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I forgot Lawson knew Durant :p

But who knows what both durant and lawson really want. Remember, even Smith left his best friend, so friendship isn't everything in the league. It's sometimes money and winning.

I wouldn't be surprised though, if Morey prefers to lose Howard next year.

8. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Cap holds exist. Just because you're a free agent doesn't mean your salary doesn't count against the cap anymore. Cap holds were formed so teams don't try to cheat the system. I don't think Lawson's 16-17 season will be waived.

9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

everyone predict the salary cap will go sky rocket next season
    what if howard opt out and both and lawson sign a cheaper contract
    keep wishing

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I believe cyberx intimated that Morey would ask Howard to opt out and sign for (a little) less on a longer-term basis, something like that.

If I may quote "Gone With the Wind"?

Morey (Scarlett): "Well, I can ask him, can't I?"

Gersson (Pork): "Askin' ain't gettin'."

1 person likes this.
  11. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

If they both opt out then they both will have cap holds similar to their actual salary. That means that Howard would still be taking up about 20 million in cap space and Lawson would still be taking up about 10 million in cap space. We're pushing the luxury tax right now. Durant will command a 20 million dollar contract. In order to make all that space we're still going to need to move around or trade guys. If we want to make that extra space from Howard's and Lawson's contract then we would need to renounce their bird rights.

12. thekad

thekad Member

We can do a S&T where Brewer goes somewhere and Lawson's unguaranteed contract goes to OKC (along with picks) for Durant, allowing Dwight to be paid the max and keeping everyone else.

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Durant and those foot problems have to scare people.

Have a hard time seeing Durant turning down McHale,Hakeem,Clyde,Harden, Howard and Lawson.

Stiffest comp will be Wizards and OKC!

Does Howard re-up with Houston and would you give him up if it meant getting Durant?

14. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I think we're perfectly capable of winning a title now. I feel dwight wants to win so badly, he could be persuaded to take a paycut. Having a core of Harden-Howard-Lawson-Durant would be overkill.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Lol at people still sleeping on Dwight Howard. You guys might wanna go back and watch the first half of game 5 of the WCF again. Dwight is a beast and I hope he's a champion to back it up sooner rather than later.

He's not going anywhere for a long while.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Excellent quote. Repped.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Why even point to one game?
    You could point to the entire playoffs and Dwight was a beast in each and every game. WE need him. Even if that means he misses every single regular season from now on to rest.

18. jquailman

jquailman Member

I haven't had a chance to get it confirmed, but my gut tells me that Rockets would also like to go after Lebron next time he is available.

19. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

It's not good for Lawson. He doesn't become an FA unless the Rockets want him to become an FA. If he puts up 15/8/45%/40% in, say, 30 mpg, and remains a citizen in good standing, then there's 0 chance the Rockets let him hit the market.

If he Rondo's it, then he will prob have to take a 1 yr deal at a haircut to his voided 12mm salary..

Bottomline. Not good for Lawson too. Great for the Rockets. Morey just swept the podium at the GM Olympics.

20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That is the only thing that bothers me. I really hope his foot is okay. Luckily, we can watch this year and see.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.