1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What are you trying to say? Love (or any player) should get the credit or blame associated with games they DID NOT play in?

In 1998-1999 and 2011-2012 the seasons weren't 82 games.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Rubio is NOT in the Nash mold of players, because Nash was a better scorer when he was 12 years old than Rubio is today.

A Nash type of player would actually be a very good fit for this team.

Steve Nash would be a nice pick up right now seeing as he's expiring and we only need someone to play 15-20 minutes while mentoring our young guys.

3. haydenfisher342

Incorrect. Only been that way since Toronto. And the Vancouver grizzlies entered the nba

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Rubio shot a higher FG% in his 3rd year than Nash did in his 3rd year. Rubio's shooting percentage has gone up each year.

1 person likes this.
  5. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Well when you're bottom 5 in the entire NBA (not just point guards) in shooting, there's nowhere to go but up. I love everything he brings but his shooting really really scares me. He's been really really bad. Just go look at his shooting chart. I've said it before, but he makes Rafer Alston look like Ray Allen. He's still a net plus, but fegan wants a max contract for him. If he's on the floor the other 4 players have to be really good shooters.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not sure if serious.

That is completely inaccurate. The 82-game schedule has been around looooooong before the Raptors and Grizzlies.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Just curious -- why is this thread now focused on Rubes? 2+2 = '1' from so-called Bled max offer (by smug Sanders)?

Or have I missed something possibly substantial??? :confused:

8. gregas

gregas Member

Rubio is one of the worst offensive players of all time, and Nash is arguably the best pure shooter in the history of the league. There's no basis for comparison at any level here at all.

9. haydenfisher342

trying to add my contribution to the thread. I should of thought about posting, I didnt make the thread better, I made it worse. For that im sorry, I stooped to the threads level, I am better than this.

In fact I would like to clarify the 82 game season started in 1967-68 season. with the addition of our San Diego Rockets and one my favorite color schemes and logos, the Seattle SuperSonics.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I don't remember Nash being that much better than Rubio as far as comparative times in their careers.

Certainly about on par with Kidd.

You have to look past his current shooting %'s to want Rubio. If you believe this team can be successful with only Harden creating on the perimeter, IMO you are wrong.

11. NotChandlerParsons

That was the worst shooting year of Nash's career and after you account for the 3 point shooting he was still more efficient than any of Rubio's seasons.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wow. I didn't want him on this team before but that linked article professes that Rubio is the worst shooter the NBA has seen in last 50 years AND a major detriment in the 4th quarter.

/alltalkstoacquirerubio

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Look I am not a huge fan of Rubio, but I think some people are being unfair to him. For all intents and purposes, the Timberwolves were a statistical anomaly last year. They had the 9th rated offense and the 12th ranked defense, and also a +2.7 point differential which projects out to a 46-50 win team. For whatever reason, they were losing a ton of close games and they ended up below .500. I wouldn't say it is all because of Rubio, but he is certainly a large part of that. From the Wolves fans I spoken too, they say it was a lack of a bench which would squander leads. So IMHO, its a bit of a stretch to say things like "call me when they get to the playoffs", etc. Furthermore, we wouldn't be asking Rubio to carry us to the playoffs, we would be asking to help supplement what we already have.

Another facet most should be aware of is that Adelman system is not a PG friendly system. He likes to initiate his offenses in the high post, usually out of a big man. A ball dominant point, like Rubio, is not a good fit for Adelman. It's much more likely than he performs better without the Adelman offense.

As it stands now, Harden is the only perimeter guy we have who can create offense. If he goes down, we have no one to replace that until he gets back from injury, which could very well cost us the playoffs. Rubio is a guy who can help in that regard.

For those completely opposed to him, I would advise you to look to Jason Kidds transition from New Jersey to Dallas. Kidd, a player very similar to Rubio, was not a great shooter, specifically from the three point line. Note that his final three years in New Jersey he shot 36%, 35%, 34% (from behind the arc), but once he got to Dallas, it was 46%, 40%, 42%, which is outstanding. Circumstances matter folks.

For me, I would say, okay we have this 23 year old kid with elite court vision and defense, but he can't shoot from anywhere on the court. Well in our system, we don't really shoot mid range shots, so that's okay. And we can probably help develop a three point shot like Kidd did, since he is only 23 years old. Then all of a sudden, we have a pretty good player here.

Bottom line for me, is that I trust Morey and we know he loves this kid :cool:

14. kemah

kemah Member

I have seen few NBA games with Rubio and did watch several games where he played with Spain and have to admit that he is an elite ball handler, maybe one of the best but he is a terrible shooter and finisher. Knowing the Rockets and how Morey places a premum on 3 point shooting and being able to finish scoring near the basket why does any think the team would want Rubio at a max. It seems that he would be the last thing that Morey would want as a PG.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Jason Kidd is a poor comparison. You have to consider the circumstances. When he became a good 3 pt shooter, he was 34 years old. At that age, he needed to adapt to his declining athleticism or retire. He chose to adapt and became a 3/D role player.

A better comparison would be Kyle Lowry, but despite his poor shooting percentages early in his career, Lowry always had a good shooting form on his jumpers. Rubio's shooting form is slow and awkward.

16. chandlerbang21

Rubio shoots worse than every pg in the league / case closed Morey isn't a idiot

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Just don't let Greg Popovich, Scotty Brooks and Doc Rivers read this please if Rockets aquire Rubio LOL. Rubio is a hell of a passer (above average IMO), good defender ect, but his one flaw is massive if trying to win a championship. After watching Howard beast on Portland in the playoffs we can probably all bet that whoever the rockets aquire at PG will at least have some semblance of playoff experience and not roll the dice on a someone wth zero playoff experience. Remember you still have to force Tony Parker, Chris Paul, Westbrook and Lillard to play a bit of defense to get out of the west IMO.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...erwolves-be-about-ricky-rubios-awful-shooting

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They lost a ton of close games because during the final minutes of the game, they are play 4 on 5 on offense. You do not have to cover Rubio at all. Just cover all his passing targets and take your chances with his jump shot.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

And you say the because you have closely analyzed and watched timberwolves games or just trying to justify a position?

20. bmd

bmd Member

Imagine how much better Rubio could be passing the ball if he had the threat of being able to score.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.