1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finsraider

finsraider Member

It's not a trade just to make a trade. Rubio has elite skills and extreme limitations to his game. My guess is the rockets think they can fix his limitations.

And Rubio is an upgrade over Beverley. How much is up for debate. What is not under debate is that Rubio is a better distributor, better stealer, better rebounder, equal defender, and equal 3 point shooter. The only thing that Beverley has over Rubio is that paint floater.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol no hes not..and btw when did rubio learn how to shoot? because he still can't and rubio is not an equal defender. its really surprising people attribute rubio to have so many high qualities but has done very little in the nba to warrant such

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't see any reason to believe Morey does value Rubio enough to trade for him and pay him big money. I don't think Morey wants him at even $8-9 million per, much less the max Rubio is said to be seeking. Sure, Morey was rumored to have liked Rubio his rookie year, but let's not act like Morey is flawless when it comes to seeing a young guy's potential. He did trade a first for T-Will.

If the Rockets trade for him I'll wish him well, but I don't see it happening. Morey has said he prefers attacking PGs to "traditional" PGs anyways (heard him say this in an interview in reference to Lin), and since Rubio can't play through contact or finish at the rim... not seeing it.

This is why I see Bledsoe as a more likely Morey target even if he, for other reasons, isn't an ideal fit with Harden & Dwight. Not that I think we'll get Bledsoe, but I think Morey would be more likely to target him.

[​IMG]

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/an-exc...nny-ferry-s-fateful-phone-call-180253404.html

Seems like there is quite a bit of internal strife within the Hawks ownership and management. Woj says that Ferry neither likes not respects the non-managing owners. With Levenson out, I wonder how the ownership situation will shake our. Will the buyer of his shares become the managing owner? Will one of the other current owners take control by buying Levenson's stake? Will whoever the new managing owner is want Ferry or hire his own guy?

Anyhow, I wonder if there is a chance that the Hawks will change directions and make it more likely that Millsap becomes available.

5. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I'll take Rondo without an extension. The ?'s about his locker room presence makes me want a trial run.

6. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Equating Rubio to Beverley, who just was voted onto the NBA All-Defensive 2nd team, may be a little bit of a stretch, but Rubio is damn good at disrupting offensive plays with his deflections and positioning. As for the argument about shooting, Rubio and Beverley shoot the same % from three (about 34%). The fact that Bev gets so many open looks from H and H means that it isn't unreasonable to assume they are similar-level 3-point shooters.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It seems to me that all four options have different thresholds.

Bledsoe signed is a positive while Dragic on a rental without being able to be locked up is dodgy.

Rondo would appear to have a GM with too great a demand while Rubio's 'sale price' seems most up in the air.

Now, Brandon Knight...

8. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Hard to wrap my head around his .368 FG% for his entire career, how is that possible? And he's not the defender Beverly is IMO.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you really think rubio is on the same level as beverley shooting then you don't follow rubio at all.

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

And neither of them would warrant a max contract....
    We love Bev at around 1M/yr... but I wouldn't want either at a max or near max deal... They are not 'cornerstones'...lol
    Gogi I'd consider giving a near max deal....
    Bledsoe... if its max money, the longest contract I would offer would be 2 years given his injury history...

11. Zbed

Zbed Member

Beverley is a much better 3pt shooter than Rubio is.

12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Wait what? Since when is 33.1% and 36.1% equal or near 34%?

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Something else about the four choices:

Rubio + possible upgrade at the 4

Rondo + possible upgrade at the 4

Bledsoe + possible upgrade at the 4

Dragic + possible upgrade at the 4

I'd think that Jason Terry's expiring $5,800,000 (and those second round picks) would somewhere come into the deal. Perhaps even Papanikolau and his $4,800,000 (although the latter might be subject to BYC)?

Which can happen pretty soon now, maybe as early as this weekend (end of FIBA World Cup + certain contracts suddenly trade-able).

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I really don't care for Rubio's shooting - he is terrible at finishing nearly everywhere on the court (not just jumpers) - though Beverley is pretty poor around the rim as well.

Rubio's 3 point shooting is below average but has improved (and will need to improve much more so that defenders can't afford to crowd Dwight).

But Rubio does rate as a much better defender by RPM and DWS. He is also a far superior passer.

In rough order of preference of the guards discussed thus far, I would say: Dragic, Rondo, Bledsoe, Rubio. Not an indictment of Rubio, but Dragic is a complete player, Rondo is a better passer/defender and much more deadly around the rim (but fell off in a big way last year due to injuries), Bledsoe has undeniable talent but his injuries are scary, and then Rubio - who would be an improvement over 2013-14 Bev, but needs to make a leap offensively to avoid offensive mismatches.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

3 years in the league and rubio's shooting has not improved. again rubio is not a better defender than beverly. you don't watch basketball enough if you believe so. beverley will probably take a bigger step in improvement this year than rubio has yet to in his 3 years in the league

16. izeroi

izeroi Member

Yes please.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It certainly appears that Ferry will not survive the ownership fight if he manages to survive the Deng and Bonzi 'issues'. And frankly I question why he should survive the latter?

With new direction there is no telling where that ship will sail; nor when the prevailing winds will pick up.

The best hope is that Milsap demands out, but what would/could DM the GM offer to entice the Atlanta Disfinctionals?

18. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Hope you're right. Beverley certainly passes the eye test as the better defender. But Rubio has consistently posted high marks in defensive metrics.

Mea culpa re: 3 pt shooting. I mixed his stats with someone else.

19. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

You're right, I dunno why I thought they both were at 34%

Still think that Rubio can provide a lot more to our offense than bev, despite the 3% difference in 3FG%

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Morey said he thinks that the Rockets roster now is where it will be when camp starts.</p>&mdash; Jenny Dial Creech (@jennydialcreech) <a href="https://twitter.com/jennydialcreech/status/510128178497478656">September 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.