1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airdough

Airdough Member

It's a slow offseason when you are discussing Cole Aldrich versus Joey Dorsey. There aren't good options for us to sign but I thought the whole not matching Parsons was to give us roster flexibility. Looking back at the moves made last offseason, there was a way to get last years roster plus Parsons without triggering the hard cap. As much of a douche as he is, a Parsons like player would sure be nice to have right now (and no Dekker is not Parsons, they are both white wing players and that's about it on the comparison).

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I never said anything about Morey's greatness or not as a GM but the way he is talked about here like he can do no wrong you'd think he is the GOAT GM.

It's blasphemous to say anything against Morey here despite the fact that he has zero championships to fall back on.

My personal opinion is Morey is a top 10 GM but not a top 5 GM

3. Nook

Nook Member

Do you make the WCF with Parsons instead of Ariza? I don't think so, Parsons/Lin/Harden was just too bad defensively to overcome. Give me Ariza.

Is there anyone out there to sign? Not really, but have you seen us linked to anyone other than minimum guys? What does that tell you? Do you think that the avenue of improvement will be through trade?

4. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Sure, the ignore list is a great concept in theory. But the fact of the matter is that each thread is essentially a timeline of events and when picking up in the middle of or reading through conversation it is ideal to not have pieces missing. I agree, some of his stuff is not bad...but "some" in the context of the quantity at which he posts really waters down any quality that there is. That is all from me...I don't want to be one of those people.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Caron Butler has agreed to a two year deal with Kings, league source tells Yahoo.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/619580613457096704">July 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Some people are always going to defend the players on the Rockets roster and can't appreciate when other teams make good decisions.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then again, without Marjanovic the Spurs have absolutely no rim protection whatsoever on the bench, so for that alone, it's a good move.

9. basketballholic

Look at the Spurs roster and tell me who is going to be playing the backup big minutes for them, Bobby. Yes, they signed LaMarcus. But LaMarcus made it very clear prior to signing on that he didn't want to play 5. He wants to play 4 exclusively. That means they had to/have to go get another 5 to make sure they've always got a big 5 in there when Lamarcus is in the game.

So look at the roster and see who is going to be that guy. Do you think they're gonna sign another 5 to backup Timmy?

Let's be realistic. Boban just became their backup 5 man. He's going to be in the rotation and he's going to get consistent minutes.

And that's the best evidence I'll submit to you that Boban can play. The Spurs picked him as their backup 5 man behind Timmy. Because they know they've got to play a big 5 when LaMarcus is in there to fulfill their verbal agreement with him concerning that issue.

The Spurs believe he can play and they chose him above a whole passle of other backup 5's on the market. Speaks volumes Bobby.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Carons shpuld be a vet min. If its any more than that the kings are even more idiots.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I agree that there was a need for a backup center. The need is obvious but just because they need him to be a good player doesn't mean he will be a good player.

Like I said above, without him they'll have nothing even resembling rim protection on the roster so I can see why they got him. I'm just not one who will assume that simply because the Spurs pick up a player, that he'll be good.

I just don't think a slow, plodding big man will make it in the current NBA. How is he not a foul waiting to happen all the time?

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

C***-tease.

What's supposed to go here? Is this resolving for everyone else?

Or...............do we draw upon our own blank canvas? "Rockets trade for Carmelo Anthony." Something momentous.

Or did you find yourself out-machined by zeeshan2 in posting Caron Butler's two-year deal?

1 person likes this.
  13. basketballholic

Because he's smart.

No doubt he'll go through an adjustment period dealing with the speed of the NBA. No doubt he's a slow, plodder. But that is somewhat overstated. He's not as slow or as plodding as you think he is.

But Yao was a slow, plodder too. You don't look at a players weaknesses and assume because he has weaknesses that he can't play in the NBA. You look at his skill set strengths and see if he has a skill set strength that is NBA level. Boban does. He positions himself well. He's got great bball iq. And he's got very solid offensive skills, even if he is slow.

He's got a better offensive skill set than most 5's playing in the NBA today. He's a better post-up player than the vast majority of NBA centers today.

Once you can see what NBA level skills he has you then can bring in his weaknesses and see if his weaknesses make him unplayable. Well.....his don't. Sure he's slow. But so are over half the 5's in the league today. So what he gets beat on pick-and-roll by smalls. So does 80% of the league's big 5's.

Does he have something to make up for it?

And here's the big offset in his favor.

L-------------E------------------N-------------------------G-------------------------------T----------------------------------------H

You make up for the slow feet with extreme length. He's not only long. He's ultra long. He can block a shot from a small after they run 4 steps by him because of his length. That is his great equalizer. It's not like he's a 6'10" guy with a 9' standing reach. It's not like he's a 7 footer with a 9'5" standing reach. This dude is 7'3"with a 9'7" standing reach. He's a giant with soft hands and skills.

Here's draftexpress' latest on him:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Boban-Majanovic-Video-Scouting-Report-5168/

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Caron Butler's deal w/Kings is two years, $3 million w/player option on second year, per person with info on deal. <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA">@WojYahooNBA</a> first w/news</p>&mdash; Jeff Zillgitt (@JeffZillgitt) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/status/619587672600875008">July 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. SS0101

SS0101 Member

You have literally said his "standing reach" was 9'10", 9'9", and now 9'7". All in different threads. Just wow

1 person likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That video suggests that defense is one of his biggest weaknesses, that he's bad in the PnR and he's not a great post defender even though you'd think he should be due to his size and that he gives up position in the paint, also that he likes to camp out in the paint and doesn't like to leave there.

I'm not sure that squares with your take that he's amazing defensively.

17. malakas

malakas Member

I don't think that Boban will just come in and take the league by storm.

18. rockets13champs

Its is now officially
    Warriors
    Spurs
    Clippers
    Thunder
    Then rockets. If we get another acquisition we just as good as clips

19. do work son

do work son Member

based on what?

the spurs added LMA, but parker duncan manu get one year older, david west isn't good, green absolutely disappeared at the tail end of last season.

OKC hasn't been healthy in 3 years, new coach, etc.

the clippers added lance stephenson and an old paul pierce. lance is an absolute bonehead who can't shoot. i'm not sure why people pencil them in as being great because of that move.

we have a solid roster as is, and flexibility to get better. winning july doesn't mean anything.

20. basketballholic

yeah. I said he was 7'3" and 7'4" too. Because I've seen all those numbers. He was measured at 7'3" 290 lbs, and 9'7" standing reach several years back by draftexpress. Odds are he's added another inch or two as his body has matured.

Instead of nitpicking other people's posts, find something to contribute basketballwise. Otherwise I'm gonna hit the ignore button on you if you have nothing to add.

Wait a minute. I didn't say he was amazing defensively. I said he had a good skill set. I said he compensates for his slow feet well with his length. But I did not say he was amazing.

However in relation to the other backup bigs in this league....he's a bargain value. He's probably the best defensive backup big in the NBA and he's better defensively than several starting centers.

So just to reiterate. Didn't say he was a great or amazing defender. I said he's better than the backup bigs in the NBA right now defensively and he's better defensively than some of the starting centers.

And....that video was done a year ago. It's not what he was this last season. It's what he was the season before.

No, he won't. He's gonna be a Spur. That simply doesn't happen. They're a team. They'll slowly integrate him in. And come playoff time he'll be a major headache for opponents off the bench for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.