1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

and no pf unless we do something like sign the matrix

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I cant see us giving up Beverley. He'll be a free agent next season and Phoenix would already have Bledsoe and Thomas. I would actually be pretty upset if we lost him and the NOH pick. We'd be down to bare bones.

3. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Rockets usually run with 3 PGs on the roster. On the surface it would seem he's just insurance at 3rd string point guard behind Bev/Canaan. But if we are trying to swing a trade with the Suns for a starting PG, it would appear that one of the the 3 currently on our roster would be gone in some way. The suns just cut ish smith, they already have too many PGs. Perhaps a 3rd team that wants Bev or Canaan is involved in the trade or the Rockets want to let Bev sit out for a while because he is having issues with his knee as someone here reported recently.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Matrix is capable of guarding Aldridge, Griffin and Randolph? Because if not, it sounds like 1 and out again for this team.

5. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

To be quite honest I don't see us making anymore acquisitions until the trade deadline

6. haydenfisher342

everything we discuss is legitimate. I will not fill you in, because of your attitude. Very amazing things are happening, lots of insider info is being leaked, found a cure for cancer, and aids. Sorry your not around enough to enjoy the fruits of our labors

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

They own 3 1sts in 2015 and the word is they want to sell one so I'm not sure they want another. I think they want and need proven bigs. But who knows?

8. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Waiting for Cyberex to get the page.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We don't have proven bigs. We have a promising big that plays small who Phoenix already has 2 identical versions of. Literally, they're identical.

And picks... you can never go wrong with picks. They're currency.

10. thething

thething Contributing Member

If we are going back in time now...I am going back to 1984 and telling Ray Patterson to trade Ralph Sampson and anyone other than Hakeem to the Blazers for Michael Jordan.

Or drafting Kawhi over Marcus Morris, taking the option on Chandler Parsons, etc. (But those decisions I already knew were bad at the time.)

11. JD88

JD88 Member

Me either.

Dude could be the Tony Allen at probably the most important defensive position on the court.

He is a first year starter, was playing in some bum**** country a year and a half ago, has an unparalleled work ethic, and will no doubt come out next season as the best point defender in the league.

Give him another year as a starter, let him work on his spot up three point shot, and the dude can be locked up to a long term deal on the cheap allowing us to go after bigger fish down the road.

12. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

I admittedly am no salary cap or CBA expert so maybe someone else such as Bima can chime in on this. Everyone expects Goran Dragic to opt out of his deal after this coming season. But many players are currently signing 2 year deals in anticipation of the next CBA in 2016. Dynex endorsements aside, would there be any advantage at all for Goran to actually opt into his last year so his contract expires in 2016? Does he lose anything by opting out and signing a 1 year deal?

13. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

If we can't pull off the trade, we should push to sign both Dragic and Milsap in the next offseason, bc we'd have enough cap space to sign one outright, which means we can threaten bob teams and do a sign and trade with whoever blinks first and sign the other with cap space (to be executed after the sign and trade but agreed to after the sign and trade is agreed on first). Trading for Dragic now would probably make Milsap and Dragic together more unlikely but not completely impossible. The combination of the two of them I think should be our plan c - plan a being love and plan b being Aldridge, both of which are probably pipe dreams next summer. That plan c is much better than parsons, which is probably why we didn't match him.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not sure why folks are that worried about paying Dragic when he hits free agency if the Rockets trade for him now.

First, if Dragic performs at that "third star" level that Morey is looking for-- and the level he performed at last year would suffice, the Rockets would have no problem compensating him in accordance with his market value-- no more need to save flexibility for the "third star" when he's on your team already.

And Dragic should want to return as well since this would be a contending team and he is fond of McHale.

Second, if Dragic doesn't perform at that "third star" level, then the Rockets still have that "flexibility" that they so carefully preserved by letting Parsons go. They can let Dragic go and have $10M+ in cap room, and room for a "max" offer for the likes of Rondo and Love if they move Ariza (basically similar to the position they were in this past summer with Bosh).

The Rockets might have given up a future asset or two to land Dragic, but the team won't likely need them as much next summer since the guys we might want to trade for now (Love/Rondo) will be free agents next year and can be signed outright. With or without the assets, the key part is still to convince the guy to sign with you.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man, even if you secure a 3rd guy next year in FA, a year we'd be competing with freaking LA and NY for players in, we're shedding contributors and assets at an alarming rate. I imagine Beverley and Jones are both casualties in any scenario that gives us an opportunity to be a player in 2015 FA.

3 players and little else... it's a great core. But you're still at least a year away. We'd be taking small steps back to move forward while the Clippers and Thunder likely just add more and more difference makers throughout the journey.

Timing doesn't seem right at all if that's the strategy.

16. Carl Herrera

I can't see any advantage unless he sucks this upcoming season and nobody would pay him $7.5M for 1 year.

Let's say he performs at a $12M level and wants to take advantage of the new TV money in 2016, he should have no problem landing a 1 year deal at $12M somewhere or a 2 year contract with 2nd year player option at a little less than $12M. Either contract would be better than $7.5M.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

No but we may have to trade the pick or other pieces for a big,,,ie 3rd team.

I really don't think they want a 4th pick but that's just me.

18. Carl Herrera

The strategy behind adding Goran Dragic would be betting that he can be that third star that Morey doesn't think Parsons is. The preferable route would be to have Goran, have him and the team succeed and keep him.

I am only pointing out that the fall-back position still gives the Rockets another shot at the third star if Goran isn't. It isn't ideal as you said, but betting on Goran Dragic is still better than betting on the status quo. The likelihood of Dragic being that "third star" is still better than the Rockets turning the collection of assets that would have traded for Goran into a "third star."

19. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

If we get Gogi, I would be so thrilled.

We essentially will have found our Tony Parker to go along with the SG and the big man.

I really hope something comes out of this.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

So, any credible information anywhere that suggests that Dragic is available, let alone if we have enough assets to get him?

And any credible info on whether or not PHX is even open to a sign and trade for Bledsoe?

TIA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.