1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocketseagles07

Golden State meets with Dray first. I doubt he conducts any other meetings he'll have his max contract..

2. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Would LMA consider signing a 1 year deal with us?

If we let Josh Smith and Brewer (MLE) walk. Trade Dorsey, Papa (MLE) and Prigioni (MLE) for draft picks and cash. Perhaps resign Terry (MLE) on a vet minimum contract.

D12 has a player option for 2016-2017.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/HOU.html

Maybe, they could reach a gentleman agreement with LMA and D12? So, D12 opts out of his contract and LMA gets a long term contract in 2016-2017, after that we could give D12 also a new contract but for less money?

It's all about winning a championship, isn't it? :rolleyes:

3. malakas

malakas Member

Yes he will want a 1+1 but it would have to be near max too. This guy has the most incentive out of all the free agents except lebron to sign 1+1. Thats why he isnt likely to accept a s+t. Years of contract.

4. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

So a 1 year deal with a player option? So, D12 and LMA can opt out the same time? Could be perfect, 'if' they want to stay in Houston. :)

That way, we can keep Ariza. But we still need a PG ... :rolleyes:

5. zigzag

zigzag Member

Dwight will 99% opt out unless he hat a terrible injury

6. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

What?!? hahaha

Sergio?!

7. baubo

baubo Member

So Cyberx is DaDakota? Split personality?

8. rocketseagles07

So cyberx knows DM? Wow this is way deeper than I thought. Cyber I'm gonna need you to slow down on the drinking bruh. I don't remember you being this buzzed last year and we need you here... ALIVE! FA is upon us fellas, let's get it!!!

9. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

LOL. Don't ruin Malakas day... Bad enough in Greece:(

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Can someone please summarize the last 50 pages? Anything useful or is it the usual junk Cyber talk that this thread is accustomed to

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Here is the latest:

But no one really knows because you have three different guys saying three different things. Lakers! No, Blazers! No, Spurs! No, Rockets!

2 people like this.
  12. mmottola26

mmottola26 Member

I am sorry if I post to much. I am sorry if I come across as misinformed. I am trying my best. I am hope the Rockets can improve their roster in the next couple of weeks. I will try not to post so much. By the way I am 26 years old.

1 person likes this.
  13. Airdough

Airdough Member

It's ok, the GARM can be like the Zoo on Tex Ags. All of the helpful discourse tends to get buried by all the noise.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Nobody knew with Dwight either except for Doc. There were lots of misinformation being thrown around when Dwight was making his decision.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You do you man. Keep posting. It's a forum to post. Don't let the haters stop you from posting.

Somebody gotta make a run at DD

16. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I wonder if Clutch coded the BBS to account for the p2k bug. Will the site crash at 2000 pages??

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Or you could just say that Doc guessed right.

Actually I do recall Cyberx saying something around the all-star break about Dwight having a convo with Hakeem or something of the sort that could swing him to come to Houston.

Look... anyone who makes bold claims on these type of things, I have to then question how legit you really are in the know. Even Cyberx says all the time how much things change. This is a human business. Human beings change their minds all the time.

The one thing you can pretty much always bank on is the power of the dollar, and the power of pride when it comes to free agency.

- The phrase "Be all you can be" applies to the aspect of pride. Also winning can be applied to pride. You marry those two items (personal and team success) and you have an overaching gateway into the mind of a superstar free agent.

-The other is finances. For good reasons a player needs to maximize what he can make in the short timespan of a playing career. Even players like DWade that took pay cuts in previous years in order to win look to get that money made up on the back end as you see now with his negotiations with Miami.

So when it comes to LaMarcus Aldridge, under this context, where is the most likely he will go?

IMO, it sure isn't New York, The Lakers, or the Mavericks. The Rockets represent team pride and can probably get him to the max through a complicated S&T, but will he be able to "Be all He can Be" in terms of producing like a superstar, and etching his name in the list of all time greatest power forwards??... probably not in the shadows of Harden & Howard.

The Spurs however, if they can make the money work have a team that can give him the drivers seat as the number one go-to option on offense, have an excellent supporting cast of hall of famers and up and coming stars that don't necessarily need touches, and one of the greatest coaches to ever sit on the pine.

IMO, if I'm LMA, the Spurs check all the boxes.

However.. I NEED the Lakers & Dallas in the mix because they have that clear max cap room that I need for leverage in negotiations. You always need that as a free agent looking to get the max... leverage.

I LaMarcus chooses the Spurs over the Rockets you should not feel bad about the city of Houston and lose pride in our town. Its not about that. The Spurs have a pretty damn good opportunity for LaMarcus, and I'd be shocked if its truly not his #1 option. If he doesn't go there, its got to be because of the painful process of making the money work. Same goes with Houston if they don't create an easy path to making the money work (better get on the phone with Portland now and have a S&T ready to go, or better get Hinkie on the phone as a backup option).

But I think the main disadvantage Houston has is also an advantage Houston has to NOT signing LMA... in Houston he's not really going to be a true superstar. Much like Kevin Love in Cleveland his role will diminish. That's not because LMA is bad, its just because James Harden is such a great player. Morey can do alot with 20+ million a year in salary that LMA would need to be paid. I wouldn't sweat it Rockets fans if they miss out on a maxed out role playing superstar who is probably over his prime... and that is coming from a huge LMA fan.

#39977 dobro1229, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

^It's not all about winning and/or fit. We saw that from Melo last year.

LMA has been on record saying that he finds Portland to be boring. There's a reason that he's entertaining LA and NY. Houston gives you some balance of winning and living in a fun city. SA does not.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not that this will happen but the thought process piqued my curiosity.

Can a team pay for insurance on behalf of a player with payouts that benefit the player? Eg could the Rockets take out a crazy insurance policy on LMA and pay premium for it and if LMA gets injured and can't play in NBA again he gets payout. I assume not...

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Melo re-signing with New York was about A. Money, B. Money, and C. Stardom D. City.

Being the primary superstar on a team like the Knicks in New York is part of the pride and "Be all you can Be" statement I mentioned. He gets his guaranteed production and stats as well.

What Melo took a gamble on was that the Knicks weren't going to stand around and NOT put a team around him in a year or two.

LaMarcus and "boring" city of San Antonio.... seriously.... Go ask an NBA player how often they are in the city they play for in the off-season. Then go ask them how many nights during the season are slept in their hometown. Maybe 60% of the time.

I'm a prideful Houstonian myself, but I'm also a realist. There is no shame if LaMarcus chooses to go play for the Spurs. They check pretty much all the boxes. Glitz and glamour..... Does LMA seem like a player that is that obsessed with being a star off the court? Now as a player coming into the later part of his career NOW he wants to be in movies and get a shoe deal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.