1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airdough

Airdough Member

Seriously, I'd rather have Paul Milsap for cheaper if it means you can keep Ariza and maybe get Llull.

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Hopefully LMA ends this pipe dream of him playing in Houston after their meeting so Morey can focus on other players before it's too late.

3. mmottola26

mmottola26 Member

We did not have cap space last year when we were going after Bosh. We cleared the roster for Bosh.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Let me ask you this…how do you know LMA isn't considering Toronto over Houston? Those two teams are in the exact same boat, except, Toronto has max money and Houston doesn't, at this point.

5. Airdough

Airdough Member

If anyone can manipulate the cap to make an outright free agent signing happen, it's Morey. Unlike last year, the salary we would have to shed should hopefully not cost us additional picks.

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I think for a lot of fans it just becomes about wanting to "win" the recruiting contest, which is sort of silly.

7. rezdawg

Last year was a different situation. Cant compare the two.

8. rezdawg

Nope, we would have to do a S&T…there is no manipulating the roster this year. And in that case, we would need LMA to want Houston over any other team…and Portland to comply with us in a deal.

9. mmottola26

mmottola26 Member

I don't know if LMA has Toronto over Houston. Nobody knows for certain right now where LMA is going. Free agency has not started yet. All the reports about LMA is ridiculous he has not even meet with teams yet.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I explained a lot of my view on this but I don't think you caught it because of how late it was.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9877740&postcount=39236

11. mercy road

mercy road Member

Unless Les is an owner like Cuban, teams generally do not dismantle rosters the year after they reach the WCFinals or better. To think otherwise is to fly into the face of reason. How far would have Houston made it if D-Mo and Bev were healthy? We will never know. But there is little chance Morey dismantles the Rockets to chase after someone like LMA. He actually stated as much.

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I don't buy that unless your talking a long term deal like Lebron that includes player opt outs every year. Next year LMA is a 10 year vet and he goes from 30% of the cap to 35% and the cap jumps 23 mil.

If he's about the money doesn't it make sense to want 35% of ~90mil as opposed to 30% of ~67mil. Make no mistake his agent knows the numbers and has informed LMA. Even if he is not completely about the money signing a 1 year deal with whomever so he can at least minimize his losses.

There is no question his best money decision is to sign 1 year with Portland and then sign a 5 year max deal next year. If he feels he has to sign with a Texas team, he could still like Lebron and sign with the team he wants and then opt out next year and resign for max money at 35% at 90 mil for 4 years. That makes more sense.

13. Kalypso

Kalypso Member

Probably their lead assistant coach Ettore Messina.

Per WiKi:

Ettore Messina has won four Euroleague championships as a head coach. Messina is regarded as one of the best European basketball coaches, having been named in 2008 one of the 50 Greatest Euroleague Contributors.

He was named the Italian League's Best Coach three times, in the years 1998, 2001 and 2005. Furthermore, he has been named Euroleague Coach of the Year twice, in 2006 and 2008. He was inducted into the Italian Basketball Hall of Fame in 2008.

14. mmottola26

mmottola26 Member

If I was the GM of the Rockets(which I am not), I would let someone of the players go from last year. The only players I would keep would be Howard, Harden, Smith, and Capela. I would not let the others hinder me from going after LMA. Some of the players from last almost lost us the second round of the playoffs against the Clippers.

15. basketballholic

This has to be reposted every 30 minutes. Aldridge can play on a 1-year deal next year for around $18.8 million and then jump to a starting salary of close to $30 million next summer. Makes no sense to lock in a long-term deal this summer unless he thinks he's gonna suffer a career ending injury this next season.

16. mercy road

mercy road Member

Risk/reward. One problem with his Achilles tendon or an ACL or a foot fracture and he might be done. Only LMA can make that decision.

17. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Very, very glad you are not the GM.

18. mercy road

mercy road Member

In which case you obviously understand little about the NBA and sports franchises. I had sorta gotten that impression from your earlier posts on the subject.

19. cyberx

cyberx Member

No one knows what will happen. FA meetings can change players perceptions etc

20. Spursfan66

Spursfan66 Member

lol..I don't "care"..just tryin to drop some BADLY needed knowledge in your case friendo. Telling that you had no comeback of substance...You should just accept that Rox getting him is a longshot..that way you can flip back over to PG mode as you have umpteen time just TODAY:grin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.