1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Josh Smith can't shoot. Don't sign him. Case closed.

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

He also shoots 47% inside 3 feet.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Member

His shooting game is way worse than any of our other players on the team. He can't score at the basket. The two grandpas both can put the ball in the basket when they are in the paint. For his career, his 2pt shooting percentage is about 38%. You almost have to be trying to miss to have a 2pt shooting percentage that bad for that long.

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I also understand this point of view also. But I just see a opportunity to get a 24 yr old true PG who's locked in a contract already that hasn't even began to scratch the surface of what he can become. I just think these opportunities don't come around that often especially now with the league becoming a PG league. Too many teams are going to lock up their PGs and I'm not sure a opportunity like this will present itself again.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rubio is just an awful fit next to Harden. Not that there are many great fits who are available, but we could do much better.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Like I said, I'm intrigued and would be willing to give it a try for his play making ability. I continue to be concerned about the defenses ignoring him on the floor and choosing to guard the other 4 players with 5 defenders.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Considering that he is a career 38% 2pt shooter, he doesn't take many shots inside 3 feet.

8. kjayp

kjayp Member

I'd gamble and take Rubio's contract for a poopoo platter + 18th... but I think in order to work contractwise we gotta giveup a better piece (Ariza, DMo? Capela?) - so I say pass.... not worth giving a pick and an asset for a contract we may have to pay someone to take later (ala Lin)...

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Josh Smith is a bad shooter for a PF, Ricky Rubio is a bad shooter for a PF.....and he's a PG. Big difference.

There's a reason why he's available though. Wanting Rubio is like those who wanted Rondo last year, he'd just do terrible things to the Rockets offense the same that Rondo did terrible things to the Mavs' offense.

10. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

This would be feasible if the Twolves draft Okafor and pair him again with Tyus Jones using that 18th pick..

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And to hammer home just how inept Rubio is when it comes to shooting the ball, if you look at the EFG% and TS% of Rubio, Josh Smith, and Rajon Rondo, Rubio's would always come in dead last. He's just embarrassingly bad.

12. basketballholic

I respectfully disagree. The Rockets would have to fundamentally change and Harden would actually have to play shooting guard instead of the point. But I think Rubio would make us great. If he was the primary playmaker, you've got better offensive balance and better spacing with Harden spacing the floor on the Rubio/Dwight pick-and-roll.

But it'd all be up to Harden being willing to adjust to playing off the ball with Rubio in the lineup. Harden would still get plenty of minutes at the top when Rubio sat. But he'd have to give up some control at the top for us to maximize the efficiency of the offense around Rubio/Dwight or Rubio/DMo pick-and-roll or Rubio/DMo pick-and-pops.

Most posters here do not understand what Rubio brings to the table. They point to his shooting numbers. He's not a shooter. He's a playmaker, an expert playmaker and passer. Put shooters and scorers around him and he'll go nuts and the offensive eficiency will go through the roof.

We should not trade for Rubio to spot-up on the wing while Harden dilly dallies around with the ball for 17 seconds.

13. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Rubio's contract is terrible...and his injury history is concerning. He has only played one season out of four. I say no.

2015 - 12.7 million
    2016 - 13.4 million
    2017 - 14.1 million
    2018 - 14.8 million

14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

same as bev, can't even complete a season..

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Now, if there were some deal that sent Rubio for Lowry or some such deal (they will make more or less equal money next year, although BYC might apply, then that might make some sense.

Don't think Rubio and Harden would work well together. Not on a team that prizes the jacking of three pointers.

16. basketballholic

I seriously doubt Rubio is traded for #18 and other crap. Flip is willing to trade Rubio for #2 obviously....or probably even #3 or #4. And perhaps Flip might be able to be talked into trading Rubio for Cameron Payne and other assets. But 18?? Nope. 18/Capela/DMo??? Don't think I'd do that right now. I'd wait. Rubio most likely doesn't get moved. Then possibly Fegan throws a huge fit and demands Flip move him. That would be ideal. Then possibly #18, Capela, a future first, and filler. I'd do something like that.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Well the cap is going up.

I mean that's cheaper than Parsons

18. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Parsons has shown more to get that contract.
    Rubio was playing twister with Harden.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This 100%. Rubio/d-mo pick n roll and pick n pop would be lovely to watch. And I have no doubt harden would do what would be needed for it to work.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's just a god awful shooter though, that can't be overemphasized though. Here's a total list of all of the players in the entire NBA who played over 500 minutes and had a worse EFG% than Ricky Rubio last year

You ready?

Gary Harris

End of list.

He's just terrible to the point where his passing doesn't make up for it. No one in the world is worried about him shooting, which clogs lanes and kills your spacing. He's pretty much the only possible PG that would be a worse fit than Rondo.

I don't see how you hammer on "_ones" for not being able to shoot yet support this kid who shoots like a middle school B team player that has a concussion.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.