1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malakas

malakas Member

yeah I know.
    If it's Lakers vs Rockets. AND Morey is 100% committed to him and pay him the actual MAX! then his price will be a little bit more than a first.
    The Rockets lose leverage because they can't pursue him in FA.
    The Suns know Rockets cap space and the situation.
    If Morrey is not prepared to pay as much then probably Dragic will be traded for peanuts just for some months rent.

2. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Worked with Brewer as well

3. malakas

malakas Member

If it's for a last minutes push for a championship and Morrey is not commited to pay the max the NOP pick is an overpay. Less is the price. It will be only some months rent.
    hm on the other hand there will be more buyers. Anyway a lottery pick is too much. A late first more likely.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Phoenix has some incentive to trade Dragic to LA -- the more the Lakers win the more likely that the Lakers pick becomes theirs (via Nash trade), but at the same time the Lakers will do everything possible to make sure they do not lose that pick even if it means shutting Dragic down to ensure the Ls.

Even if the Lakers put out the word that they will offer Dragic the max to scare off teams now and drive his value down -- again its the MAX in LA. The actual amount of money Dragic will make will be less than most places. Remember Dwight was actually making more on his 4 year deal in Houston then the max 4 year deal in LA (the 5 year LA was able to offer would mean Dwight would make a bit more but not by much)

If he is traded elsewhere that team would be able to offer the extra year and if its a place like texas he'll make way more money there than in Cali.

Houston does have an advantage that they do have some young players and enticing draft picks (Den, NY 2nds and NOP lottery pick) that would be very appealing to a team like Phoenix.

5. speed star

speed star Member

How much of a difference would Dragic's salary be if the Lakers offered him the max and hypothetically the Rockets offered 13-14m/yr after state taxes?

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Meh... $17-19M a year will look like $2M a year in no time with the new revenue!

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

its not Morey its Les

I am sure Morey will have to weigh factors of having another Max or near max contract on the books but it means that they will be a championship contender then I am sure Les will sign off on the deal.

Remember they were willing to sign Bosh to a max deal and if he had signed they were going to match Parsons as well. That would have put them well over the cap and Les would have had to pay the tax and repeater tax soon enough and it seemed like he was ok with that.

Morey also has to see what sort of flexibility he would have to add the role players to the team with so many max deals - remember the Lakers a few years ago with so many big deals they could not get the role players and bench that they so desperately needed. Even though Morey and his staff has done a great job finding diamonds in the rough (Parsons, Beverly etc) and getting guys on very team friendly deals - you cant rely on that solely.

One reason why I would believe that if it requires a big deal to keep Dragic (if he is traded here) Les would sign him is that the Cap is going to go up quite a bit soon with the new TV deal and so at that point have 3 max deals with the old cap Max makes it easier for Morey to get role players when guys like Brewer and Smith will leave elsewhere for larger deals.

8. basketballholic

When you look at a cap of $80 million in 2016-17, it is important if we are going to be players for Durant that we get a good PG in the $12-13 million a year range.

That's what I want at least. There's so many good point guards right now. IT makes zero sense to overpay at that position. And then hinder our pursuit of a guy like Durant or another max superstar player in 2016? No way.

9. malakas

malakas Member

The taxes advantage is equalised by the extra curicculum contracts and what not a star in LA makes.

10. malakas

malakas Member

You are right about the Rockets owner . But also you have to think that commiting a MAX in a 30 year PG is different than Bosh. The position atm is the deepest in the league.

The Lakers are crazy.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's crazy to me that people are willing to punt on a title run because they hope to get in the line to beg Durant to leave OKC.

12. malakas

malakas Member

damnit. I hate the Lakers. they are stupid and have it sooo easy with their huge market and hollywood bandwagoners.
    Look Brandon Knight. What a suprise. I hope Dragic goes to Rockets Knight go to Lakers with the max (LMAO) and everyone is happy.
    But I am SURE the number one target of the Lakers will be Dragic. Whoever trades for him will have to bleed in their pocket . Dragic is the star name of the whole lot . If the Lakers commit their money there at least the others will have time to be signed in more real prices. I hope.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

so if we get dragic will we become the slash bros?

15. malakas

malakas Member

It also probably means that the other big name FA Gasol Aldridge Millsap have indicated they will stay in their teams. Dragic is the only one who will go wherever is the biggest green.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Let's not get our panties in a twist.

So the Lakers leak to one of their many suck-up "journalists" that they'll pay Goran the max. The writer runs with the super-max figures to help scare us off.

"The max" could simply be language for "contract averaging around 15 million". Sure, a max for Gogi would be more, but would the Lakers actually offer it? Because they can let Gogi believe he'd get a supermax offer; but even then, the difference in Texas money and California money is vast.

We also have a location, organization, and coach that he's comfortable with, and we're winning now. The Lakers? Gonna need to get Kobe off the books, and convincing Gogi "we'll get Durant" and such to get him to sign....well, again, I'm wary of the Lakers, but I think Morey will take the gamble to get him.

17. boiler

boiler Member

I don't get the logical here. The reason why Lakers would go after him, if they really want him, is that now is their best chance. Adding Goran will not harm their tanking plan one bit if they are determined to lose games.

18. malakas

malakas Member

if they fall to no.6 in tankathon they lose their pick. Suns would LOVE to trade them Dragic because it would make sure they get their pick.
    Dragic can influence some games enough to win a couple and drop behind the other heavy tankers. They are already behind Minny NY and Philly and Orlando is looming on the horizon along with Utah . Not to mention Denver is having a firesale.

19. Play07

Play07 Member

lose 2015 1st, 2015 lottery 1st, plus assets, for a half of yr rental of a player that you could've had under a bargin contract & already had chemistry with the guys. That's now about to be 30.

Then have to figure out how to keep other guys and him while other teams can offer him the max like the parsons situation.

only the rockets but hey... our GM is best in the league

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.