1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I just think the stretch fits us well, and we're just seeing what D-Mo can be... I feel like Monroe is tapped out, but that doesn't mean he isn't a solid NBA player.. Great point though..

2. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I won't argue whether Dmo's defense is better than Monroe's because I don't know. However, I strongly disagree that defense far outweighs rebounding- in fact, I consider defensive rebounds to be a critical part of defense, and on almost every team, the bulk of responsibility for defensive boards falls on the 4 and 5 positions. Unless DMo is paired with an elite rebounder, he will be a huge liability due to his very poor rebounding skills. He doesn't seem strong enough to keep more physical big men (at either the 4 or 5 spot) from pushing him out of the way for those boards and we lose possessions (or give the opponent extra possessions if you prefer) when he lets that happen.

I like DMo as a complimentary player and he's made great improvements this season contrary to my expectations.. But he's not someone I would give a significant pay raise while we are missing key talent (2nd playmaker, consistent rebounder and rim protector).

3. malakas

malakas Member

I get that about a complimentary player (as I said third fiddle caliber) and not wanting to pay. The issue is that he is restricted fa that other teams can throw offer sheets at.
    Anyway about defence versus rebounding I think we have a case of the other side is always greener. Because this is what the Rockets problem is now you overvalue it imo but what is really a big man without defence? It's the number one most valued quality in a big especially a center.
    Not that rebounding isn't important but compared to defence much less.

4. Swishh

Swishh Member

I would easily give up D-Mo and the Pelicans pick plus whatever other filler the Heat want.

Bosh is going to be a serviceable PF for the next 5+ years easily.

...BUT, Pat Riley won't trade Bosh.

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

6. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

No, your username is THE Greek slang word.

7. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

PHX is trying to get better offer than Morey's

8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Not a bad sign, but I'd be shocked if he mentioned him by name. Most GMs wouldn't..

9. sabesque

sabesque Member

Sign that reality is kicking in. The smart move is for them to get a combination pieces that give them (1) a group of young, talented players that have the potential to grow into solid rotation players and (2) flexible, attractive assets that can be flipped in a S&T scenario. Basically the Morey approach.

We can offer them both (speaking as a homer).

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Monroe is a crazy good rebounder. He's averaging nearly 18 boards per 100 possessions, which is basically what Dwight does.

He doesn't "seem" to have DMo's foot work, but he still scores more, assists more and defends similarly.

I don't think Monroe is AMAZING, but he is clearly better than DMo. Perhaps DMO catches up to him in the next few years...

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He's certainly better offensively, but Monroe is a dreadful defender

12. JayZ750

He pled the 5th, but he also fairly strongly noted that they aren't looking to take steps backwards.

It's mostly lip service all around..

... But I do believe they aren't looking to give Dragic away to give him away. I think if they are moving him, it's because Dragic, through his agent, has strongly let them know that he isn't thrilled with the situation (3 pgs) there and will actively explore signing with other teams.

I think Dragic is applying that pressure, and I think the leaked rumor of the need for the first is the logical result. In a world where the Suns and Pelicans both miss the playoffs, the Pelicans pick would give them the 13th and 14th pick in the upcoming draft.... which allows them to "hit the lotto" on that player every year picked in that range who ends up really good, or combine the two and trade them to move up in the 6-9 range, or whatever.

I think they'd like a current contributing asset in ADDITION to the pick. Which I'd give them, but not sure who that can be.

Also, DM is probably wanting to hold on to Terry if possible, and probably wants to use Shved. That means a trade couldn't go down until the 19th, and probably also means DM is trying to find a third team to help facilitate.

13. JayZ750

He's not great, but I think DMo is overrated in this regard.

DMo is ok, especially because he is better than TJones at man defense. But he's not great, and is such a mediocre rebounder - which plays into defense a bit, it takes him down another level.

See this article, which touches on Monroe's "ok" defense. Not great, not horrible.
    http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2015/...ng-greg-monroe-has-been-among-leagues-top-big

14. daernoth

daernoth Member

Dmo just needs to add more bulk. Right now he is still too thin compared to some C's which makes him have to spend tons of energy just trying to hold his ground. This also affects him when he tries to back down his defender in the post of course.

I think in the next 2 years he will become more like Asik in size and his rebounding will dramatically improve. He just isn't a finished product yet and that is actually a good thing.

15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Yeah when he was trying to back down Deandre last night he couldn't move him an inch. It was disheartening

16. dream2franchise

He's up to 255lbs? That's pretty solid and he looks the part too. Asik's height and weight are exactly the same according to NBA.com

He's bulked up considerably. He's just getting boxed out constantly and doesn't have a rebounders mindset right now. All that will come knowing how hard a worker he is.

17. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

He said doing something that helps us now that doesn't hurt us in future I suppose we would look at that

That doesn't sounds like that is anything they are looking at unless it's all that's there

18. Swishh

Swishh Member

D-Mo needs a mid range game.

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Wow. That Phoenix article is definitely promising. I am shocked.
    While it always made sense to cash in on Dragic, it still never seemed hopeful Phoenix would take that route.
    This is a very similar situation to Utah a few years back, not sure if anyone pointed that out.
    Utah was in a playoff spot and had both Jefferson and Millsap on their final years, and weren't making much noise, but they decided to keep them and then lost them both in the summer.

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

The next step for DMo (besides bulk) is to develop a face up game. It would help him against the stronger post defenders as he could either pop the little 10 footer or take them off the dribble into a hook shot / lay up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.