1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basketballholic

You seem to be quite knowledgeable about the Suns. Just a few questions I'd like to read your answers to:

1. If PHX is set on re-signing Goran and IF they do re-sign Goran....are they going to trade Bledsoe? Or do you think they are planning a long-term run with a Bledsoe/Goran backcourt?

2. If PHX is set on re-signing and trading Bledsoe, who do you think their trade targets are for Bledsoe?

3. If PHX decides to let Goran walk this summer, they are still committed to $53.4 million in salary. They also own their own pick, probably somewhere between #13 and #16, plus they own the Lakers pick top 5 protected. Let's assume for the moment that the Lakers get a top 5 pick and PHX only has their pick and it's #16. That plus a couple minimum salary roster spots brings their salaries to $56 million.

Assuming next year's cap goes to $66.5 million, who are some of the likely PHX targets with that cap space left by Dragic signing elsewhere?

2. basketballholic

Aleron is right. Goran doesn't like playing against wings. And he doesn't like playing off the ball all the time.

And that is a factor in him coming here and staying.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Weird because Harden defers to Beverley A-lot.

4. basketballholic

I'm pretty sure if Goran were here that he'd get all the handling he'd need to make him happy. There's 48 minutes to a game. Harden can only realistically play 36. That leaves 12 minutes for Goran to run the team alone. And really with Goran here, Harden's minutes probably drop to around 32 most nights. Add in another 7-10 minutes with us mixing up the ball handling and I think you're looking at a situation that is very doable for Goran. Especially when he's given megabucks and the team is championship worthy.

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

The point Aleron makes on SG's and SF's that you dismiss as mindless dribble is actually a fair point. Your contention is if the rox are willing to max dragic why wouldn't PHX. Aleron's counter is a fair rebuttal, it's apples and oranges. We actually have a need at pg where are PHX doesn't. Why would we max out or go for guy like Thompson who is redundant with Harden and would result in diminish both of their games?

We're also in a position where we're looking for that last star piece so going over the cap and locking in with howard harden dragic would make sense.

Not saying the PHX FO is likely to trade him, I just don't think its a far fetched as you make it out to be.

6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Would you given Bev ability to orchestrate an offense? Harden has shown to be a very willing passer and I think he'd welcome the sharing of ball handling responsibilities if there was someone capable of it.

7. baubo

baubo Member

You are REALLY reaching if you honestly believe Dragic would touch the ball less in Houston. The guy is being relegated to 4th-5th option in Phoenix now.

Did you know Beverley touches the ball longer per game than Dragic? I kid you not. Beverley averages 4.1mpg where he controls the ball. Dragic gets 3.9mpg.

If you watch any Phoenix game, Dragic basically plays spot up shooter most of the time watching Green, Morris, Bledsoe, and Thomas dominate the ball.

8. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

As Clyde says, Harden is the "consummate" team player. He is sometimes too unselfish.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Chris you allude to collecting assets but claim you should just let dragic walk? That's the opposite of collecting assets, jones + papa + nop pick would be your 4-6 most valuable assets (Papa is a very good player with a very friendly option next year) after Bledsoe Len and the lakers pick, you want to get the next disgruntled star? Don't let gogi walk.

10. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

Would I be going too far to say that Josh Smith has saved the Rockets season with this whole Howard being out of the lineup for an extended amount of time?

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Josh Smith is a really good player when he plays within himself.

Last night he made a great drive and kick-out to Harden for a WIDE open 3-ball. Next play he went Jeremy Lin on us and jumped in the air and kicked it out to Milwakee LOL!

I enjoy watching Smith play. He actually seems to be a smart basketball player which conflicts with his rep.

12. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

He has certainly been a huge positive contributor...but other contributors like Brewer can't be discounted...and of course Harden's MVP season.

Its been a great journey for Rockets fans...enjoying the heck out of this season.

13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

What about all the games we won without him or T Jones before we signed Smith? I think D Mo and even Tarik Black (even Dorsey) deserve some credit for saving our season too. We had no business racking up the wins we did even before signing Smith and Brewer.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Besides harden, McHale deserves major props for maintaining our course through troubled waters.

15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah I'm Conflicted. Love that we got him. But the whole jumping in the air before having any idea what you plan to do with the ball! How does a professional basketball player do this. I mean, **** happens. But he has done this more than a few times. How do you not learn to control that??

Still think he was a great pick up. He's bought in and isn't the trouble maker he was made out to be. I think all it takes is the coach telling him to stop doing that. I feel like that hasn't happened.

16. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

Ofcourse! No doubt they deserve their credit as well as Brewer but imo if the Rockets would have gone thru this stretch of games earlier in the season when Howard was out they wouldn't have been as succesful. The games earlier on in the season weren't as difficult as this stretch will be and tho Smith still has his Lin moments his defense, rebounding and passing skills is something that I think we will look back and realize that they were very much needed during the stretch without Howard

17. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

This season has been so up and down with all these injuries and yet the Rockets continue to come up big! Its really been a fun season to watch! It sucks that media continues to sell the Rockets short and it's a shame that not more Houstonians are behind this team! Proud to be a Rockets fan! Hopefully we can turn heads AGAIN during this stretch without Howard

18. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

Wow never thought of it like that. He is basically a giant athletic Jeremy Lin.

19. delishman

delishman Member

ChrisInAz is largely correct but is definitely underselling the possibility of Gogi walking. It makes sense to keep him and the Suns are the definite favorite but if you lose out on him when you could have had a lotto pick in addition, that is a tough pill to swallow.

Also, curious about your take on Gogi's propensity to RT the Rockets twitter account.

20. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I keep coming here thinking cyberex posted some new info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.