1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Bima, I'm sure, has different thoughts on this but I'd have to think that since both guys have the last year of their rookie deals next year, the Rockets would want to take advantage of that value this year and at the least the first half of next year if they can.

Obviously if a major deal is out there that requires either guy, its an option, but why would you trade either guy-

A. When you have up until Feb 2016 to do so and
    B. Because you are scared that Jones & D-Mo will command too much in free agency the next year.

If you can't upgrade to a legit superstar at the 4, why not at least try to retain both guys on value contracts beyond next year, and retain the better of the 2 if it comes down to it?

Look at Phoenix with Eric Bledsoe as an example. I think they did the right thing by resigning him and not losing him for nothing. They could have traded him the year before because they were "scared" of losing him for nothing the next Summer, but they ended up getting him on a good deal, and they now have a great asset to trade if they want to even though now its not necessary.

So until someone is offering the Rockets Paul Millsap or LaMarcus Aldridge at the 4, why wouldn't you try and keep BOTH guys if the contract value is good which I guess is the big gamble (someone would overpay in free agency? Having two players in free agency at the same time gives the Rockets an insurance policy in case of one player getting a "Parsons-like" offer.

-They also need to try and keep both guys because IMO, I doubt Josh Smith will be a Rocket next year. They just wont have the cap space to retain him and I doubt he takes a pay cut when so many desperate teams will have cap space, and need established talent. Its possible they retain him, but we as fans probably shouldn't count on him being back. They are going to need BOTH guys next year more than this year.

Hah. The best pill you can take is the one that keeps you away from the GARM if you want to ensure sanity. We seem to be losing more and more of it around here these days, but its fun to dream I guess.

I feel the same way about the guard spots. I have to think that rather than having to go for a big huge name, maybe Morey can do a Rafer-like trade for some under the radar guard like Lowry back then.

I think Pat Beverley might be my favorite player to root for, but man... homerism aside, its a huge issue right now how awful he holds back the Rockets offense when he's shooting under 38% from 3. Even a small upgrade, or a Canaan emergence would do wonders for this team without having to make a mega trade for an established star.

Look at the Mavs with Rondo as an example. A big trade might hurt them more than it helps. Maybe a Rafer type deal is more in line with what the Rockets are looking to do.

2. basketballholic

Added KG to my signature today.

Brooklyn is circling the drain and will most likely be dismantled at the deadline. KG is a trade candidate and also a candidate to be added here after a buyout.

3. delishman

delishman Member

Him & Dwight are close friends, makes sense.

I'm adding Progman to my signature because him & plow have some fun leaks that I enjoy commentating on. Hope their prophecies can be fulfilled.

1 person likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I am adding Malik Sealy and Eddie Griffin to my signature. Neither are in their respective team's rotations and are being under used.

Maybe Jason Collier can give us 5-10 minutes off the bench too.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Adding Jarnell Stokes to my signature. His recent fight in the D-League is because he knows he's on the block. Rockets need a bruiser, so it will almost definitely happen (although, of course, situation is fluid, etc).

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Adding Vakeaton Quamar Wafer to my signature. Brings explosive playmaking off the bench and a perfect complement to Yao. Adelman will utilize him correctly.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

bottom line is we don't need the bev that started the season and we don't want the bev who has been sucking ass the last month. we need the guy in the middle and bev needs to find that guy quick. he's not a rookie anymore, he shouldn't have wild swings in play. with the rest of our roster an normalized bev is all we need. clock is ticking...

8. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I got a feeling KG is going to the clippers. DO YOU REALLY THINK DWIGHT WOULD BE OK WITH KG HERE? Sorry for yelling, But why the **** do you have a power ranking of trade targets in your signature?! Do you not understand trades don't happen until BOTH TEAMS agree? You have to be stopped.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

You have twelve targets now?

Maybe a break is in order?...:confused:

10. basketballholic

Yes, Clippers could be a factor with KG, most definitely. Especially if KG is bought out. However, if KG is traded here, that's not an issue.

Yes, for a playoff run. Dwight probably doesn't want him here long term. But KG wouldn't be here long-term.

Because I want to.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, yeah, I think I do.

:p

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

Oh nice KG. I always had a feeling KG and Dwight were really good friends. I'm sure they'll play well together.

Heard Westbrook and Bev want to play together as well. They seem to have a good on court/off court relationship. :rolleyes:

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Maybe, Jones might have some more value than you thought before. I admit, I was slightly pleasantly surprised with his 3 pointer against the Mavs. Let's hope he will continue to improve for us.

13. basketballholic

Agreed.

14. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Jopat troll level: expert.

That is all... carry on.

1 person likes this.
  15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Kevin Love had yet another poor outing last night. Over the course of this winning streak (8 games, but he missed one), he's shooting 35% from the field and 28% from 3.

Is something like this possible?

NYK In: DMo, Capela, NOP 1st, NYK 2nd, Terry, Papa, Shved
    NYK Out: Melo

CLE In: Melo
    CLE Out: Love, Miller

HOU In: Love, Miller
    HOU Out: DMo, Capela, NOP 1st, NYK 2nd, Terry, Papa, Shved

Why for NYK?
    Total rebuild with several good prospects and picks. That's where they are right now....no use denying it. DMo, Capela, and the players they get from their own 1st and the NOP 1st gives them a great core to restart.

Why for CLE?
    Melo is signed to a long term contract, and has already proven to be a great fit next to Lebron on Team USA.

Why for HOU?
    You give up a lot (and I'm a little uneasy losing Capela with Dwight's future in question), but you finally get the guy that completes this team.

16. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I know what you're saying, but we still rely so much on Harden it's not even funny. All those wings were getting the ball in the right place mostly because of Harden. On the break, Harden pass...On the PnR, Harden pass....Open 3, Harden pass....We don't have a guard that can make a proper pass even on a wide open fast break besides him. We need a true PG to take pressure off Harden. If we played a 7 game series like last night's game, I think Harden gets worn out by Rondo by game 4 and then we're in deep ****. Point is, I'd be inclined to trade a PF for a PG. I actually have no problem playing Papa a few minutes, he's a stud on D. He doesn't fit the '3' model, but he does everything else pretty decent.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just read this today. Didn't remember seeing it before. I still respect O'Neal's ability and would not like to see him on the Mavs.

18. basketballholic

Good for you. Very creative. I hadn't even thought about the 3-way deals for Cleveland getting them a superstar replacement for Love. But that makes more sense than them peddling away Love and trying to get draft picks.

Don't think this will happen with Melo. I think he is happy to ride it out in NY. But you never know. He may do an about face.

What other superstars could possibly be available that this type of deal may be possible?

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think Cleveland could be one of the very few teams Melo would consider waiving his trade veto for. It's not NY, but he would get immediate exposure with Lebron on the team.

As far as other "superstars", Bosh maybe? When will Miami admit that they aren't going to contend (or maybe even make the playoffs) with a Bosh/Wade core?

I've also thought about Bledsoe with the Rich Paul connection, but I think PHX would want Love for themselves.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If you're just asking what their contractual situations are this summer (and in 2016):

Terrence Jones:

Jones in under contract for 2015-16 at $2.49 million.

He will be a restricted free agent in 2016, so long as the Rockets extend him a qualifying offer.

If he meets the "starter criteria" (either starting 41 games or playing 2,000 minutes during the 2015-16 season OR averaging 41 starts or 2,000 minutes over the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons), then he will be entitled to a qualifying offer of $4.43 million.

Otherwise, he will be entitled to a qualifying offer of $3.53 million.

Regardless, Jones's CAP HOLD in 2016 will be $6.22 million until he is re-signed or the Rockets either match or decline to match an offer sheet he signs with another team.

Donatas Motiejunas:

D-Mo is under contract for 2015-16 at $2.29 million.

He will be a restricted free agent in 2016, so long as the Rockets extend him a qualifying offer.

If he meets the "starter criteria" (either starting 41 games or playing 2,000 minutes during the 2015-16 season OR averaging 41 starts or 2,000 minutes over the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons), then he will be entitled to a qualifying offer of $4.43 million.

Otherwise, he will be entitled to a qualifying offer of $3.28 million.

Regardless, D-Mo's CAP HOLD in 2016 will be $5.72 million until he is re-signed or the Rockets either match or decline to match an offer sheet he signs with another team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.