1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its also funny how the "Rockets will have max cap space when the cap goes up to 80 million this Summer" rumor mongers changed their tune lately.

However that is one rumor mill that I did actually want to be true. Oh well, good things might very well come to those who wait, and the cap going up in 2016 might actually work out better for this team in particular.

2. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

ok......so back to kevin durant

3. basketballholic

By the way, everything I described about Butler and being able to create cap space with his free agent hold...applies to Tobias Harris as well with Tobias shaving about $900,000 off the 2015 cap with his cap hold.

HOWEVER, let me be clear, I have heard zero about the Rockets being interested in Tobias Harris. And I'm not convinced myself that Harris is the 2-way star player that would be worth going all in on.

4. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Doesn't matter. The Bulls are NOT trading butler. Maybe they considered it at the beginning of the season but he's now a max player clearly. They're not trading him now even if he is or was a target. Harden was somewhat hidden and some weren't sure he was a max player (morey did) but everyone knows butler is now so they're keeping him. Maybe we can get someone else off the Bulls though if they get cheap re luxury tax.

5. basketballholic

I was thinking about the Parsons situation. A team could withdraw the qualifying offer before July 23 and retain the player's birds rights. If it was like Parsons, a non-rookie contract for a second rounder...cap hold could be lowered. I was thinking Butler was a second rounder in the same position as Parsons was. Forgot he was the last pick of the first round.

As far as the entire notion of the Rox getting Butler being horse****, I have agreed with that up until now. All I'm doing here is telling you the situation should be watched until the deadline.

6. sabesque

sabesque Member

What's worse: suggesting that jimmy Butler is a possible option, or dedicating multiple pages on the thread to who basketballaholic has added to his signature?

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

EDIT: Deleted

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

[​IMG]

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

A cyberx thread turns into a basketballoholic jerk fest.

Seriously, we're not getting Butler. And you don't have to come here and tell us he is being watched.

I am sure many many many players around the league are being watched by Morey. That's just how he works and that's part of his daily job. He will monitor several players closely and look to jump in at the opportune moment.

10. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

basketballoholic is on of my fav posters.

I never really agree with what he says but his logic can be tested at times which gives me new avenues into thinking.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

This really has turned a mole hill into a mountain

12. CertifiedTroll

If you do not like what bbholic post then why do you insist on to replying to them? There are plenty of posters that say off the wall things. If these posters were simply ignored, they would either stop posting or would be drowned out by more meaningful conversation. If you want to argue with him cool, but no point in bumping his posts to tell him off.

I am in the minority that I like what he posts. I don't view it as fact, but still enjoy what he brings.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

If Morey trades for Butler.. He's executive of the millennium..

Hey Chicago, here's our crap for your superstar!

If we had space for a max contract next year, I could see him saying I'm going to Houston in the off season, you can either trade me or lose me for nothing... But we don't. This isn't the Melo/Knicks situation.

14. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

There is a zero percent chance that Butler isnt in Chicago for the long term. Stop beleiving everything that fake insider says.

15. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

That is a bit unfair. Stan, the other piston players -- all of them said that he was a great locker room presence and his release had nothing to do with his play or his personality.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2014/12/22/josh-smith-detroit-pistons/20760861/

"He understood and I think he appreciated the way the situation was handled," Van Gundy said. "I truly have great respect for what he's done in the league over 10 years, and we weren't going to mess around at all. We handled it in a straight-up manner. He handled it very professionally and I sincerely wish him the best."

Van Gundy said there was one incident with Smith earlier this season – "And jeez, it was minor" – and that there was nothing that precipitated his release, no unhappiness, just the simple fact that a change on the court was needed."

16. CertifiedTroll

He never said that Butler was leaving Chicago, he said he was a player Morey was inquiring about. Second, even though I doubt he leaves saying there is a 0% chance is a flat out lie.

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Such as Dwight opts out for either a long term deal at a more friendly cap figure, or Dwight opts out and we sign a different max player with his slot.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Morey: "Gaaaarrrrr, hey Gar it is your buddy Daryl."
    Foreman: "Who?"
    Morey: "Funny guy, Daryl Morey, the Rockets GM."
    Foreman: "Hello Daryl, what can I do for you."
    Morey: "Butler, I know he wants that max money. I was thinking swap."
    Foreman: "Harden?"
    Morey: "Funny... I was thinking Ariza and Terry and that Pellies pick, big value... oh! and that Knicks second rounder."
    Foreman: "Who is this? I know this isn't Daryl, he always is eating Sonic frito pie when he calls me.... God damnit.... is this basketballholic?.... I have a restraining order against you... stop calling me.... and get help.... Jesus."

1 person likes this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Or 2016 turns out to be a huge free agent frenzy with better players.

The Dwight situation is a whole other animal on its own. Remember the under the table Parsons team option waive situation that was tied to the Dwight signing contingency that Fegan brokered?

Well if Fegan was willing to go to those lengths to broker & secure an early opt out for Parsons, what do you think he secured with the Rockets for Dwight's next contract given the fact that Dwight left another year and some change on the table from the contract he would have gotten from the Lakers?

I would be shocked if the Rockets hands are NOT tied to giving Dwight another max contract after he opts out in 2016.

So my opinion is that we should probably just prepare ourselves for worst case scenario where Dwight opts out next Summer and Morey offers him another deal at above market value for at least another 2 or 3 years at the max or very close to it.

20. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

I can think of one PG who is starter caliber, buried on a bench, and who has a great 3PT shot. In fact, he is the leader amongst point guards in 3PT shooting % and it would be a home coming to get him:

1 Aaron Brooks .448 3PT%

Here is the full list.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/3-points/sort/threePointFieldGoalPct/position/point-guards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.