1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Kevin Martin is not a playmaker. He is another efficient scorer sure, but he isnt going to set up teammates for easy baskets, and he wouldnt alleviate the ball handling strain on Harden.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't think Kevin Martin is a main target of the Rockets, but he might be included as a part of a package in a trade with teams wanting other guys.

This is because the Wolves probably doesn't mind getting rid of him and his salary to give young guys more minutes, the Rockets doesn't mind (that much) taking him and his salary on, and Martin doesn't mind leaving.

Martin might be moved to a number of locations, actually, in the same manner-- just kind of attached to a Rubio deal or maybe even a Pekovic deal.

3. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

You're going to be mad when you find out it's just Steve Novak.

4. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I can see Kevin Martin. However, if it were just Martin then why not make the trade now? It doesn't benefit either team to wait another month as both know where they are headed, so Martin is either A) not the target or B) a throw-in to a larger deal as Carl alluded to.

I'm also not sure how Rubio fits. He's 24 on a long term deal, why would a rebuilding team like Minny get rid of him unless they had a more promising player behind him? I just don't see it happening. But I hope I'm wrong!

5. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Schved: $3.282M
    Pap: $4.8M
    Terry: $5.85M
    Jones: $1.62M
    Capela: $1.19M
    Dorsey: $0.95M
    Canaan: $0.81M
    NOP 1st
    NYK 2nd
    Our own picks

Bballholic, you seem to think that Rubio+Martin is what we are gunning for. What combination of assets do you see us giving up (and the Wolves wanting)? You mentioned in an earlier post that we need to give up ~$7.8M to trade for Rubio. To take on Martin as well, we'd need to match $17.6M in salary.

From looking at the contracts listed above, we have the ability to do this while still remaining under the apron.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Remember that the Wolves have Trade Exceptions where they can take IN players. So a trade with the Wolves could be a 3 team trade, or 2 simultaneous trades.

7. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

$15.6* maths is hard

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Truth.

Superstars just don't hold up like they used to. It seems like guys start falling apart at 28 or even younger. Twenty years ago a guy that age was still considered a young player in his prime. I don't know what the difference between now and then is but it sure is disheartening when every star player we acquire falls apart before they even see their 30th birthday.

Let's hope Harden beats the curse.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It's not the age, it is the milage.

1 person likes this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Acquiring both Rubio and Kevin Martin. That poison pill provision on Rubio's contract makes it tough, and we'd have to turn over a LOT of players through a third team to get the numbers to work.

Not saying it couldn't happen.

Guess Morey and McHale want players who HIT the three-pointers they jack.

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

Someone posted an article before either in the GARM or in the DISH. Said something on the lines that most young players now have played a ton of basketball even before they make it into the NBA. There's so much more mileage on their bodies.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Daryl Morey wants NOTHING to do with Kevin Martin. There is nothing but hard feelings between those two.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm a bit confused. Dwight says he's pacing himself (giving what he has) so he can be 100% for the playoffs. How the ef does that translate to I need microfracture surgery but I'm just putting it off?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Remember during the offseason and jopatholic on the Pelicans/injuries and odds and flipping a coin [or something to that effect] :p

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/PelicansNBA">@PelicansNBA</a> Jrue Holiday expected to miss the next 2-4 weeks. Tests reveal Holiday developed a stress reaction in his right lower leg.</p>&mdash; Jennifer Hale (@JenHale504) <a href="https://twitter.com/JenHale504/status/558032546458767362">January 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. basketballholic

Dear J.R.

Rockets have lost more man games this season than the Pelies have lost.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

In his defense he used a 9 sided coin, J.R.

1 person likes this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yay, we officially own a lottery pick!

Now who (That has a PG named Dragic) wants it?

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

From this thread:http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=261913

Damn, paging really works.:p

19. Raven

Raven Member

James Harden.

:p

Morey's way works. I wasn't a believer, during those "14th pick in the draft" years, but after acquiring the Beard, anyone who doubts Morey's approach better bring something better than "build from within".

20. basketballholic

Here's what I seem to think:

1. Look at my signature....#1 target is Goran Dragic.
    2. Rubio is also a target...not Kevin Martin. We are not gunning for Kevin Martin. Kevin Martin may be the contract we have to take back if we want Rubio. That's all I've said about Kevin Martin.

3. Pops and Shved is enough salary for Rubio. But if we do a deal for Rubio and Martin...the deal on our end would likely be Rubio first...which would then leave us further away from the luxury tax so we could acquire Martin with only $4.47 (150% rule still in play since not in luxury tax after trade) of out going salary. Or we could acquire both Martin and Budinger for Terry plus several different combinations of players.

===================================

That's the mechanics of a trade for Rubio.

A trade for Rubio would likely include:

1. The Pels pick going out.
    2. Us having to take back other contracts.
    3. Us also sending out a lot of our young talent (Kostas, Jones, Capela, Canaan, etc.)

EDIT: There is a uniqueness to Rubio's (and other rookies that signed extensions) contract. That is it is PPP. IT requires more outgoing salary than incoming salary. You have to add up all the salaries for his extension plus the current season salary and divide by 5. That number is $59,660,479/5 = $11,932,095.80. $11,932,095.80 is Rubio's representative incoming salary for trade purposes. We've got to abide by the trade rules which say we can send out $7.888,063.87 (150% + $100,000) in order to take in $11,932,095.90 PROVIDED we are under the luxury tax AFTER the trade. Well.....the magic thing is Rubio's current salary for luxury taxes is only $4,660,479. So trading for him actually puts us further away from the luxury tax and allows us to use the 150% rule for another transaction until we cross the luxury tax threshhold.

From Minny's perspective..if they combine Rubio's salary with Hummel's salary they can trade for almost $8.3 million of incoming salary. Oh, BTW, we've got a trade exception for Troy Daniels that would let us take back Hummel as part of a Rubio trade as well.

I'm just mentioning one possibility. My point is PPP for Rubio is not a real issue in a trade with Minnesota. The issues in a Rubio trade are:

1. Will Flip turn loose of Rubio for the Pels pick plus our youngsters?
    2. If Flip is willing....is Morey willing to go that deep in contracts to get his man?

The issue has nothing to do with can a deal get done. There are many ways to get the deal done.

#22320 basketballholic, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.