1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CVS bans sell of cigarettes, will others follow?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FishBulb913, Feb 5, 2014.

1. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Member

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/05/news/companies/cvs-walgreens-cigarettes/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

They are giving up 2 billion in sales because they feel its the right thing to do, I'm a smoker but I think that is awesome. Will this pressure other retailers to do the same?

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Member

Just gearing up for the future mar1juana joint packs.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Does this include the "e-cigs" thingys? My housekeeper "smokes" them, although she's careful to do it outside (at least when one of us are at home). I have to say that if nothing else, it really cuts down on the smell factor. I don't care if others smoke tobacco, I really don't, as long as they don't do it around me and mine. I think folks should be allowed to do whatever they want to do to their own bodies, as long as it doesn't harm someone else. I've always felt that way.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

I've always been afraid of second hand dip.

5. leroy

leroy Member

Great move on part of CVS. I'm an ex-smoker but I always thought it was weird I could get antibiotics for my bronchitis and a pack of smokes at the same place.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

There is not tabacco in e-cigs. They're glorified nicotine patches.

7. Commodore

Commodore Member

CVS's job is to meet the needs of customers, not pass judgment on their purchases.

Did CVS say they will lose revenue from this policy? If I am a shareholder, I'm really upset.

Not a tobacco user, but I'll take my business to Walgreens where they don't judge.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Serious? CVS's job is to do whatever they damn well please, as long as its ethically sound.

If you feel this is judgmental, then perhaps you should go ahead and boycott every business out there.

But you are correct, if you disagree, take your business and your shares else where. I suspect this will not make much of a difference regardless.

9. durvasa

durvasa Member

I take it, then, that you also believe a customer should not pass judgment on what a business is selling?

10. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Member

The only line that makes any sense. But I'm not sure I agree with it, only 20% of the population uses tobacco regularly (I believe that's the stat I saw). Most of the other 80% thinks tobacco users should stop and some will probably support CVS because of this decision.

11. Commodore

Commodore Member

That judgment would be more rationally directed toward the purchaser, not the seller.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Great move by CVS.

Cigarettes **** everyone, not just the smoker. That's the problem.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If they replace tobacco with better selling products. . . like say more candy
    or more high profit products

I doubt the shareholders will give a d_mn

Rocket River

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I applaud CVS. I don't think this will lead others to follow.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

CVS would say good riddance, don't let the door hit you.

16. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I take it a step further. Americans spend over $85 billion per year on smoking related healthcare; the government pays for $50 billion of that $85 billion. These numbers may have changed since I last researched this problem, however.

Good for CVS! I have a cousin who works for Big Tobacco so her inside view tells me how bad these things really are. Since we tax payers have to treat everyone, things like obesity, smoking, lack of healthcare become other people's business from just a tax payer POV. If smokers killed themselves without much impact on the world around them, I'd care less - though my sympathy for their various cancers and slow deaths would remain.

Smoking is on the rise though. It's declined in America, but it's booming overseas especially in the Asia-Pacific region. I also have enough friends and family who work in the pharmaceutical and healthcare industry so I've seen firsthand what this poisonous product does.

17. droopy421

droopy421 Member

I don't smoke but do not care what they choose to sell. Walgreens is still the closest thing to me.

18. Classic

Classic Member

If radio shack can remake it's image so can a company like CVS. The reality is cigarettes are associated with poor & dumb people today. It aint the 40's, 50's or 60's where it's cool and people are nieve. Cigarettes will **** you up if you decide to mess with them long term & everybody knows it.

If you're buying smokes you're probably not the type of person CVS really wants to have a relationship with. It's a strategic direction that makes sense.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Gotta love the free market fundamentalist who has a mini internet hissy fit and "takes his business to walgreens" when firms, acting in their own economic self-interest, make business decisions.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Relax bro, they said they will lose 3%. I am sure CVS will find something else to make up that lost revenue.