1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuttino can you please not speak to the media?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface, Mar 9, 2001.

1. University Blue

How did this become an issue of leadership? This is about discretion -- what is/is not appropriate to say/imply about your team-mates to the media.

Discretion comes with maturity.

University (Maturkitty) Blue

------------------
    Not only have the Bryce Drew and Jason Williams bashers crossed the line, but they've sprinted a couple of miles beyond it.

2. Rockeem

Rockeem Member

Cuttino is always saying this is his and steve's team and always leaves out mo shandon and Dream. I think that is disrespect to all the other players especially Dream. I wonder if the players let him know or if steve tells him to stop including just him, becuase at least steve doesn't do that. Oh well, Cuttino is a b**** and his word doesn't mean anything anyway.

------------------
    Yititay
    Bang, Bang, Bang
    Don't tell nobody
    That's so siddidy

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

My point was to prove the limited knowledge of basketball by anyone who considers Cuttino "just an above average bench player." Examples like I used merely prove my point in the minds of many. To think part of the best backcourt in the league, a guy with the quickest first step in the league, a guy with tons of clutch ability, and a 20 ppg scorer is an "above average bench player" is for lack of a better word ridiculous. And I'm sure about 90% of the BBS would back me up on that. (the other 10% being those blind with hate toward Cuttino, like several in this thread)

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!
    Join the Official CC.net NBA Sim League!
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000201.html

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Cuttino is one of the leaders of this team. That's all there is to it. If you don't see it, well, you're not watching the same team I am.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

5. University Blue

Mobley is in-consistent and not always mentally focused on the game. He has a habit of wanting to advance the ball by himself when it would be more productive to pass the ball. At this point, I do not consider Mobley starter material -- at least not with the current Houston line-up and not not on a team who wants to legitimately contend for a title.

I'll be the kettle, you be the pot.

How did the subject change to Allen Iverson?

Olajuwon was clutch. Cassell was clutch. Mobley, well, he's clutc.

Before you can expect anyone to stand with you, you have to be able to stand on your own.

University (Where's The "H") Blue

------------------
    Not only have the Bryce Drew and Jason Williams bashers crossed the line, but they've sprinted a couple of miles beyond it.

6. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I'm just curious where you see this. Is it because he has the ball in his hands?

I have not ONCE seen anyone on this team pay attention to Mobley when he speaks. When their is a timeout I have not once seen anyone even so much as to look at Cuttino. When Steve or Shandon huddle the guys up on the court after a foul is Cuttino the one talking?

What makes Cuttino a leader in your mind?

I still don't see it.

------------------
    ``It's bigger than chalupas,''.....Wesley Person

7. Toast

Toast Member

In the last two games, I have liked what I have seen from Mobley.

Against Golden State, he was something like 3-8, 6-6 from the line, 4 assists, and 7 rebounds. 13 points, 4 assists, 7 boards. That's great.

Against Phoenix, he turned it up a notch in the 4th, and the defense had to respond. Don't think for a second there weren't at least 6 eyes on Mobley every time we were on offense.

But all you guys out there who want a guy like CWebb to join our team ... you think Mobley still will be able to chuck the ball at the goal 20+ times a game to get 21 points? It's absurd to think he can demand the ball as much as Francis or Webber. So to fit in, he needs to see the court better, do more to get his teammates involved, and do all the little things BESIDES scoring points to really be an integral member of the best back court in the league.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

8. verse

verse Contributing Member

ah yes...

another fire extinguished [​IMG]

------------------
    Lt. Roastabotch reporting for duty!

9. verse

verse Contributing Member

Scarface:

who is the man who the team - and rudy - turns to when a "CLUTCH" play is needed (as in the fourth quarter)? cuttino mobley. and that is the very definition of an on-the-court leader.

as for hakeem being a leader? HA! you've got to be kidding. while he has played better as of late, who can forget the cancer he has been the majority of the season? the same "leader" who has been the focus of one fiasco after another. the same "leader" who openly said his goal is to play with another team. the same "leader" who used the MEDIA (ahem, scarface, ahem) to attempt to orchestrate a trade or outright release from the rockets. HOW WOULD THAT HAVE BENEFITTED THE TEAM? there's a leader. yes, scarface, i see what you mean. hakeem would never make "cuttino-like" comments to the media. you neuter the cat for - at worst - ambiguous remarks to the media. yet you call hakeem a "leader" after he openly talked to other teams about playing for them, refused to go into a game this year, and gave less than 100% in more than one game. [​IMG] wake up, man.

been on teams. put down that dusty ass crystal ball. you win as a team, yes. but with every "team" there is an undoubted "leader" or "leaders". everyone knows that. everyone on this board. everyone on the rockets. everyone but you. there are 2 leaders on this team, and until mo and shandon commit beyond this year, they cannot be considered "leaders". if it were not for his history, the same would go for hafraud olajuwon. he's a go to guy for stretches right now, only because he's giving 100% NOW. you know, the whole "audition for another team routine".

yea, comments to the media caused them to choke in the 4th quarter [​IMG] portland hasn't won, ironically enough, because they do not have a definitive leader! who gets the ball in the final seconds, scarface? think about it. you have to know where to go when it counts. portland will lose, again, this year because they still have TOO much talent, aka not enough role players, aka a head to the body. we have two heads who are best friends. mo's the big body. everyone else are appendages. portland is like some damn multi arm idol-of-the-fantasier with no head at all, and justly, no brains.

[​IMG] again. yea, karl would never allow that. besides, he usually reserves the right to make ridiculous comments to the media for himself. apparently, you missed the time where he made public comments ON A RADIO TALK SHOW, NO LESS about wanting to play for the lakers next year. i don't know how you missed this (or forgot it) seeing as how you live in CA.

did olden tell you that when he pulled you over for speeding? [​IMG] again!

yea, the attitude of "let's argue about my contract" is exactly what i want from my leaders. [​IMG]

this is purely speculation but i think if shandon could shoot an open j without beating up the backboard, or dribble without looking at the ball we might lock him up long term without question. are defenders important. hell yes. but we can find another mario elie that can't shoot.

dennis rodman fit that description to a T. obviously, you have never been a part of the team. obviously you missed the rox championships. you know, the one's where hakeem did not say what he was going to do - he just did it. where hakeem did not dictate how others felt (mario elie, the fire of the team, did that. leaders let their nuts hang when it counts. bottom line. they make plays when it counts.

just wanted to make sure i read this correctly. funny how even steve francis disagrees with you on that - openly stating that cuttino is their big play man. he's the man they go to when they need a big play.

or has steve francis never played on a team, either?

[​IMG]

usually, scarface, i like your posts - even if i don't agree with them. they are usually well thought. this was definitely an aberration.

------------------
    Lt. Roastabotch reporting for duty!