1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cut Cato Some Slack!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Glyde22, Oct 24, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

I didn't think I would find myself defending Cato, but I think he deserves credit for the effort he has exhibited this pre-season. I for one have been impressed with what I've seen. That being said he still has poor hands and a limited offensive game. But, I think the fans and media need to cut the guy some slack. Sportsline just picked him as the least valuable player in the entire league!!! http://www.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,4439307,00.html
    That's ridiculous!

While I think his actions have warranted criticism, this along with that Blinebury ambush of an article in which he was labeled as "The Hallucination" amounts to piling on. I hope he proves the fans and the media wrong because like it or not he is the best center this team has (Willis included).

If, and I admit its a BIG if he can get his act remotely together we are third in the Midwest. If our fate really does depend on his performance as many pundits suggest then maybe we should try rooting for the guy instead of anticipating his next screw up.

2. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

You stated the EXACT reasons why the majority of this board does not cut Kelly Cato one ounce of slack.

3. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

That's exactly the point...PRE-SEASON! Cato has been a pre-season stud for several years now. Once he can consistently play like he is now in the REAL SEASON, then he'll be cut some slack. Until then my sig remains :)

4. Houstone

Houstone Member

Cut Cato some ****** slack he's the best Center we've ever ****** had...

Just kidding..:p

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was Cato a preseason player last season? I don't remember him playing all that great. I always understood Cato to have just been a player who played well in his contract year, and as soon as he got his big paycheck, he gave up trying.

But this isn't his contract year, and he gains little monetary-wise by playing harder this season than by screwing around. Personally I think Cato's increased play is a result of Hakeem's absence (not sure why, but it is a big difference between this season and last) and Rice's arrival, who has quickly befriended Cato from what I have read. I am actually holding out hopes that Cato continues his solid play at the 5 spot this season. He has not been throwing up 20/10/5 like in that one ill-fated preseason, but has done exactly what the Rockets have asked of him, with a few mistakes here and there.

6. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Flip Saunders (Minnesota) - Coach of the Year?

Pete Babcock (Atlanta) - Executive of the Year?

Atlanta Hawks are going to surprise everyone and make the playoffs?

Chris Webber and Sam Cassell are on the "All-Dissappointing First Team"?

Oh yeah, this guys basketball knowledge is truuuuullly awe-inpiring :rolleyes:

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Although, I don't agree with most of what this guy said, this is one that may happen.

The Hawks get Shareef Abdur-Rahim to go along with Jason Terry, Toni Kukoc, Lorenzen Wright, and Theo Ratliff. I don't know if Kukoc will start at the 2 for them, but this is still a team that definitely has a chance to make the playoffs in the weak East. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't say it would be a surprise if the Hawks made the playoffs. Especially considering that their team now is almost completely different from the one they started with last season.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I agree, let's cut the man some slack, at least give him the benefit of the doubt, for right now.

9. win14me

win14me Contributing Member

What I gleaned from his statement to the media is that we are already in his head. I am sure that Cato already knows that even if he fulfills all expectations defensively, his outside shooting will never draw the center away from the lane and we can't win on the offensive end with a four-on-five game.

I am encouraged by Cato's play during the preseason. Cato may now be trying to enlarge his game beyond shot-blocking and include rebounding, defending his own man and even scoring. Only when the regular season starts will we know if Cato has decided to play. I am not a fan of Cato, but I am willing to cut him some slack. I do think he has the potential to be a good NBA center.

I found the rest of the article provocative as well, it includes:

Walt Williams: worst defensive player mention
    Eddie Griffin: ROY mention
    Olajuwon: fastest deteriorating player mention
    Marc Jackson: also mentioned as least valuable player as well as member of All-Disappointing Team and his team also gets mentioned in the worst team category

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Speaking of Lorenzen Wright he has had an exceptional preseason. Of course it has all been with the Memphis Grizzlies...now that may be a suprise team.

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

WTF an LVP!!!!???? Now thats funny! :D:D:D

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

WHOOPS!! I forgot that he got traded. He's been on my brain because he's on my fantasy team...thanks crash5179 for pointing this out.

Nazr Mohammad and Dermarr Johnson are 2 others that I forgot to mention that will have a huge impact on the Hawks team.

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

There is one reference to Cut and Cato i could think of.

The duece bigalow guy in the WaterBoy

"You can do it.... CUT his f*ck1ng his Head OFF"

seems like the best solution for Cato

14. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

I think most rockets are encouraged w/Catos play so far. I am. I don't think he's had a bad game. Of course nothing spectular, but we don't need that. We just need him to get rebounds and play decent defense, which he's done. He does seem like a different player and person this year, hopefully it continues. It may have to do w/Hakeem not being there and feeling the pressure and having to play super or being taken out. I don't remember playing this good last pre-season. Keeping my fingers though.