1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cut Carlos Gomez.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by underrated015, Aug 8, 2016.

?

Who is most responsible for Gomez debacle?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2016.
  1. 5

18.5%
  2. Luhnow

3.7%
  3. Hinch

7.4%
  4. Hitting Coach

44.4%
  5. Moneyball aggregate offense approach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hell if I know but what a disaster

44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

That's a random b*tchslap. :eek:

2. conquistador#11

Sounds like a bitter St louis writer. It was a great idea and opportunity to acquire a gomez had gomez not forgotten to play the game. I was a cespedes guy but wasn't upset for trying to make the team better.

If jeff stops trying to acquire pro hitters then you can say he's failed.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">From <a href="https://twitter.com/dgoold">@dgoold</a> on <a href="https://twitter.com/TMASTL">@TMASTL</a> the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/STLCards?src=hash">#STLCards</a> interest in Carlos Gomez: It's legitimate curiosity. It was legitimate before the Holliday injury.</p>&mdash; Tim McKernan (@tmckernan) <a href="https://twitter.com/tmckernan/status/764109727768993792">August 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Sour grapes

5. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

This is a extremely poorly written piece. A St. Louis writer who obviously just dislikes Luhnow. He definitely hasn't been perfect but the Astros are lucky to have him leading the way.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Look, Luhnow has not been perfect, but he has the organization from top to bottom moving in the right direction. I'm good with that. I'm not happy with all of the moves that have been made, but no GM is perfect.

Doesn't surprise me that a St. Louis writer will speak negatively about Luhnow.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ridiculously terrible sour grapes article.

He mentions the Aiken fiasco, with absolutely no mention of Bregman.

He fails to also mention that none of the traded commodities from the Gomez trade are thought of as can't-miss/elite type guys.

He's also written off the Giles trade without any sort of context regarding VV's injury history or Giles' dominance since the bad April.

Never seen a city or organization as spurned and vengeful as STL is towards Luhnow... and this is a city and organization that typically goes out of its way to be ultra-nice. Luhnow must just be a bad breaker-upper.

[​IMG]

8. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Also Correa is absent! He was far from the #1 choice. Can you imagine being stuck with Byron Buxton right now?

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Not even going to bother giving him a click based on the responses. But did he mention that the Aiken fiasco ended with Aiken tearing his UCL and requiring TJ in the end? I feel like that piece is still ignored nationally..

I also saw that Mark Saxon is reporting the Mets might outbid STL. The return might actually be something more than straight org depth if we're lucky.

10. conquistador#11

it reminded me of denver press against brock.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No... but to be fair, the Astros never suspected he would tear it or require surgery... just that if he did, it could possibly be a more difficult repair.

Speaking of him... any more updates on Aiken? I saw some initial reports when he first started throwing, nothing since.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Wasn't their position that, due to the (under)size of his UCL, that it was more likely to rupture/tear/break (whatever it does)? That was always my understanding of the situation.

13. kaleidosky

Mine as well. But now I'm wondering if I was making logical assumptions but never actually read it..

14. kaleidosky

I actually looked into him a couple of weeks ago. He has been giving up a lot of runs and pitching very few innings per "start" in rookie ball. But he was striking people out at least..

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Well, IIRC, it was a medicla issue and thus, not something the Astros could legally discuss. Most of the information came from his camp, right?

16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I believe Nick was right about the Astros' position. The concern was the abnormally small UCL and how it would affect a Tommy John surgery/recovery.

From my medical understanding (both my medical degree and watching UCL repair videos on youtube), the replacement ulnar collateral ligament is usually grafted to the torn native UCL during surgery. I assume the thought process is to provide some stability to the graft during healing.

The medical question was with the abnormally small UCL (/nothing additional to tie the graft to besides the bony anchors), would a person undergoing Tommy John surgery be able to recover normally. Nobody knows.

It definitely was not simply an issue was being at higher risk or already having a torn UCL. Plenty of medical experts were rolled out on both sides. The Astros got scared and offered the lower number because they couldn't be sure of a typical UCL recovery like Lucas Giolito or Erick Fedde. The pro-Aiken people were saying 'we can't predict what type of recovery will happen so the Astros shouldn't have cut the bonus offer'.

#156 xcrunner51, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

18. kaleidosky

#158 kaleidosky, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  19. vince

vince Member

I feel bad for Aiken, not about the situation how it turned out, but that he'd already grown into being an entitled athlete (his support group must have sucked, it was all about richest beyond anyone's wildest dreams). I could see him requesting the biggest contract in all of sports if he'd ever of made an all star team. He's getting a taste of humble pie.

I think another thing that soured the negotiation was getting Mac Marshall, he was viewed as a difficult signing, and it appeared the Astros needed Aiken to give up a little more money to make it happen. With all the talk about Correa, McCullers, Rio, Phillips, of the 2012 draft, people probably whispered in his ear to be weary of the Astros shenanigans.

But a 7+ ERA in rookie ball is pretty telling.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Agree with your position

But we likely get Bregman anyway, Tucker is the one we wouldn't have